PDA

View Full Version : who are the best controllers in the world and the worst ?

alpergokgoz
21st Feb 2007, 19:58
do you have any idea ?

tired
21st Feb 2007, 22:11
Second best are Australians.

Who's the best? Everybody else........... :E

En-Rooter
22nd Feb 2007, 00:57
Tired,

That is the best, most funniest thing I've heard in my life. Absolutely pissing myself, honest!

And so original!

:ok:

Jerricho
22nd Feb 2007, 02:18
How long is a piece of string? :rolleyes:

Scuzi
22nd Feb 2007, 02:53
Twice the length from the middle to the end ;)

Another Number
22nd Feb 2007, 03:04
The best?

That's easy ... well rested, fairly paid controllers, who enjoy the support of good management.

The "worst"?
I suppose that could be ... those tired, over-worked, under-paid, hung-out-to-dry poor buggers at :mad:

West Coast
22nd Feb 2007, 03:19
The best?

Easy, the one who gives me direct and an uninterrupted climb to altitude.

The worst?

Take a guess.

NZLeardriver
22nd Feb 2007, 04:45
Pilots make the best controllers.

Another Number
22nd Feb 2007, 05:04
"Pilots make the best controllers."

You mean those who'd suggest TCAS is the best controller. :suspect:

London Mil
22nd Feb 2007, 06:53
Me, me me me, I'm The Best. I don't care what you lot think. Me. :E

fireflybob
22nd Feb 2007, 08:51
Pushing Tin! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-RuVR7LLek)

3d chess (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdrSBzy8NwQ&mode=related&search=)

As one on the "receiving end" of ATC I think you are all the best but some are better than others!

DirtyPierre
22nd Feb 2007, 09:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRUYJDqJkf8&NR

This is the real deal!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Feb 2007, 10:53
<<Pilots make the best controllers.>>

I know I'm extremely old and extremely decrepit but this word "p-i-l-o-t". Isn't that some sort of whale?

tired
22nd Feb 2007, 13:17
Actually, no - it's a fish. :)

The SSK
22nd Feb 2007, 13:53
A senior Eurocontrol man said to me once "I can't tell you the name of the weakest link in European ATC, but it has six sides and two coastlines"

Del Prado
22nd Feb 2007, 16:24
A senior Eurocontrol man said to me once "I can't tell you the name of the weakest link in European ATC, but it has six sides and two coastlines"

Isle of Wight?

AirNoServicesAustralia
22nd Feb 2007, 16:36
I'm guessing that would be France??? I know that Air Frog pilots can sometimes be a right royal pain in the backside to work with. I mean how hard is it to at least try and meet the requirement that you are given. And at least sound a little apologetic when you miss it by 4,000 ft. Rant over.

Jerricho
22nd Feb 2007, 17:19
......and this one time, at Controller camp, someone asked "Who was the best controller in the world" and this guy was like "I know" and we were all "Uh-uh!" and he was like "Uh-huh! That's him over there" and we were like "No way!" and he was like "Way! Go ask him!" and we did ask him and the guy said he was and were like in awe and stuff.............

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Feb 2007, 20:11
I suppose there is no possibility of having that in English, Jerrico? Then we might understand what you're on about...

RTB RFN
22nd Feb 2007, 20:52
It was a movie HD and had something to do with a musical instrument and.......

anyway - Darwin are the best; most busiest, complex traffic mix in Oz.

airwaverider
22nd Feb 2007, 21:09
Fighter Controllers:D :D :D

tobzalp
22nd Feb 2007, 21:34
http://www.alextrack.co.uk/library/images/home_page/sirtophamhat.gif
http://darkwatcher.psxfanatics.com/console/controllers/cont2600.jpg

VectorLine
22nd Feb 2007, 21:44
No, it's definitely me. I'm brilliant me.
Really, I am

Jerricho
22nd Feb 2007, 21:45
It was a movie HD and had something to do with a musical instrument and.......

..........this one time, on Controller Camp, this guy told a manager to stick a headset..........

Hold West
23rd Feb 2007, 00:54
>The worst?
>
>Take a guess.

The one that does his job and separates you from the other aircraft. He's a regular prick, that one is.

West Coast
23rd Feb 2007, 03:32
"The one that does his job and separates you from the other aircraft. He's a regular prick, that one is"

Feeling guilty?

To my knowledge, haven't received less than appropriate separation from the ones who gave me shortcuts either.

ferris
23rd Feb 2007, 09:54
this one time, on Controller Camp, this guy told a manager to stick a headset
Very good. Haven't laughed so much since your brother's line-
"Camel suits are the new black" re: baggage handlers. The best line ever on 'prune.

Vampy
23rd Feb 2007, 11:04
JFK ATCOs sound like they need to have their wits about them a fair bit...............:}

http://home.online.no/~chainly/JFKGround.mp3

AirNoServicesAustralia
23rd Feb 2007, 12:16
I can't get the JFK link to work, but if it is the same one that was sent to me a few weeks ago, the guy while entertaining was a moron. He spent so much time trying to act smart he never bothered to get the traffic picture. At one stage he asks two Jet blue aircraft in the same transmission "which of you Jet Blue aircraft is ....(I can't remember the exact question, irrelevant really)" and is actually surprised when he gets a double transmission in reply. Crap R/T from this controller and whilst busy yes, I hope you don't consider his performance as an example of worlds best controlling.
Flying into LAX last year and there were CB's everywhere and everyone was diverting all over the shop on a busy Sunday evening at the end of a holiday weekend, and listening to the frequency on my United Flight, the guy working that traffic was calm cool and collected, and just got the job done with out being a smart arse (he didn't once say "you should come up here one day and see how great we are", whereas that JFK guy didn't stop stroking his ego the whole time). Now he was a contender for worlds best controller.
Worlds best controllers in my opinion come from all units all over the world and they are the guys who do the job with the minimum of fuss, know when they can provide an extra service to the aircraft, and more importantly know when they can't, are professional on the R/T at all times, and no matter the **** storm that is surrounding them, sound as though everything is A-OK. (For the record unfortunately I'm not one of them as I get too emotionally involved at times and have been known to lose my cool at a moron pilot or two, thus disqualifying me from the title race of Worlds Best Controller).
So in answer to the question I think every unit in the world has some worlds best controllers (and every unit also has their fair share of Muppets unfortunately), and it is unfair to try and say one place is better than another. We all work with the traffic we get as best we can, busy or quiet, complex or simple, radar or procedural, tower, approach or area. :ok:

begbie
23rd Feb 2007, 12:56
How the F**K did that JFK "controller" get a licence...

rodan
23rd Feb 2007, 13:16
Does anyone else think of Peter Griffin from Family Guy when they listen to that clip? What a tool.

rickypbrown
23rd Feb 2007, 13:19
Or Ray from Everybody loves raymond!

FlightDetent
23rd Feb 2007, 13:35
A-NS-A: I'm so wet behind the ears that the recording does not even sound funny to me. :\
I witnessed an impressive trick flying a certain charter leg in between Bucuresti and Luxembourg. Our NAV department did not probably have enough time to fine tune the routing for that day. Approaching Salzburg I realised that flying westerly through Switzerland to France and up north to LUX did not seem like the shortest of options. But who am I to judge CDR2/3 FUA. Transferred to Munich, we inquired and later went via Karlsruhe / The German Corner. I must have had blushed when I needed them to spell a waypoint name later on, which turned to be IAF to LUX, some 400 NM away.
Not only did they manage to shave 15 minutes off our remaing 65' flying time, but taking an A/C out of one country's airspace, putting it direct to another country's airspace while avoiding the whole of Switzerland during the process left me speachless for quite some time. :D :D :D
Needless to say, I feel the most exquisite work is never appreciated by us just because we do not realise. Which surely is the icing on top.
Thanks,
FD (the un-real)

BEXIL160
23rd Feb 2007, 13:41
From AirNoServicesAustralia
So in answer to the question I think every unit in the world has some worlds best controllers (and every unit also has their fair share of Muppets unfortunately), and it is unfair to try and say one place is better than another. We all work with the traffic we get as best we can, busy or quiet, complex or simple, radar or procedural, tower, approach or area.

Very well put and a sentiment that I wholeheartedly agree with.

Well said that man :ok: :ok: :ok:

Best rgds
BEX

niknak
23rd Feb 2007, 13:42
He ****** up - the trouble is, instead of getting on with sorting it out, he concentrated on finding someone to blame instead of finding a way out of the hole.

Let that be a lesson to all....:cool:

Jerricho
23rd Feb 2007, 13:56
Good reply there Shags :ok:

http://www.grudge-match.com/Images/spartacus.gif

"I'm the world's best controller........."

rodan
23rd Feb 2007, 14:09
"I'm the world's best controller........."
No, I'M the worlds best... oh, hang on, no I'm not.

Angrel
23rd Feb 2007, 17:26
I vote Stewie from family guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIpzq4GAV3A

Old Smokey
23rd Feb 2007, 17:46
This is a very subjective question, and I'd have to experience ATC in every country of the world to give a worth-while opinion. Having said that, the best controllers are those who seem to have a GOOD appreciation of what it takes to operate an aircraft from the pilot's stand-point, leading to a degree of flexibility that is required when operating aircraft, and if that be so, the Brits and the Australians win hands down.

The Americans are good, damned good, but seem to be either far too rigid, or at the opposite extreme of far too "do it any damned way you want", which worries me.

If flexibility and rigidity resulting from a good understanding of what it takes to operate an aircraft, and rigidly enforce their own requirements with little thought for operational implications, the Indians win as the worst. (Guess who has an up-coming tour of duty in India?).

Regards,

Old Smokey

AirNoServicesAustralia
23rd Feb 2007, 19:16
Good reply there Shags

Thanks Figgy :E

I think the best analogy I can come up with for all this is a referee/umpire in a sporting contest. Be it football (in all its forms), gridiron (sorry even though I like it it aint football when only 2 guys on each team are allowed to use their foot on the ball), hockey whatever, the best umpire/referee is the one that as a player or spectator you hardly notice is there. Everything goes smoothly but you aren't talking about the referees performance at the bar later.

Same thing goes for both pilots and ATCO's. If the pilots are talking about their mortgage, sports car or bit of fluff in Bangkok and not about that moron controller who "asked me to reduce to 250 kts whilst also telling me to expedite descent", then the ATCO's have done their job. Similairly if the ATCO's are at the bar talking about their mortgage, sports car or bit of fluff who works at the bar round the corner from work and not about the moron pilot who " asked for higher level even though I had told him he was cleared to an interim level due crossing" then the pilots have done their job.

The name of the game is getting aircraft from A to B in one piece with the minimum of delay. If we can do that with the least amount of fuss and bluster from both sides, we have all done our job well. :ok:

fangorboy
24th Feb 2007, 09:08
The best contollers in the world?

Having done this "pushing tin" job for 20 years:

It is NOT the Americans, NOT the Ozzies, probably the Brits. :ok:

TrafficTraffic
24th Feb 2007, 11:37
It is NOT the Americans, NOT the Ozzies, probably the Brits.
....oh so close - I was with him up until the last bit.....
Missed by that much...
The Brits could do with learning something from ever other country in the world (and not just about ATC).
I certainly aint the best - but I do ATC Improv pretty well...
TT

Dream Land
24th Feb 2007, 12:12
Where are the busiest airports in the world, hmmm :confused: :E

Jerricho
24th Feb 2007, 12:31
Busiest does not necessarily equal complex.

West Coast
24th Feb 2007, 14:48
Where is the most complex?

Volume doesn't necessarily equal complex.

AyrTC
24th Feb 2007, 15:17
Anyone who thinks they are the best controller in the world probably is... NOT.:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Rgds

AyrTC

futr-kofeshop-dweler
24th Feb 2007, 20:01
I know the number 4 controller in all of Kazakhstan, Wowaweewow, Very Nice!

AirNoServicesAustralia
24th Feb 2007, 21:06
What is the busiest?

What is the most complex?

Who has the fewest staff in relation to traffic levels? (ie. All very well saying we are the busiest but if you have 1 controller for every 30 daily movements, who says you are "better" then a guy working a not so busy understaffed unit where there is one controller for every 50 movements).

Who has the worst equipment? (Limited radar, limited system aids to help them do their job)

Who has the worst procedures?

Who has the worst mix of traffic? (Lots of VFR's distracting you from the big boys, lots of old slow Russian built piece of crap aircraft mixed with lots of shiny new fast jets).

There are so many factors that as I have said before it is unfair to choose one place over another.

DFC
24th Feb 2007, 23:29
=Del Pardo

Isle of Wight?

Spot on.

Everything passing the Isle of wight is into or out of the UK!. ;)

So how many UK controllers from the UK who went to Canada have returned or are about to return?

Enviromental changes are going to require the aviation industry to introduce Hamster wheels. Are they going to be in the cockpit or on the ground? :)

Regards

DFC

Ready Immediate
25th Feb 2007, 01:26
As with most things the poor performances get noticed, discussed and remembered for months to come while the excellent performances are just the minimum expectation. Very hard to be subjective about who's good and bad without all the information. Just because you don't get given what you ask for every time doesn't make the controller bad. If traffic was low enough often enough that you could get whatever you want all of the time then you wouldn't need ATC. Just think it's a bit of a silly question.

Swanie
25th Feb 2007, 02:28
not haveing been to many places outside australia, my opinion may seem some what limited. but i fly from a GAAP in PERTH, where they have no radar, three staff operating two parrellel runways, and a surface movement. dealing with abinitios, through to china southerns citations, RFDS medcal emergencies ect, with little more than a pair of binoculars, and a reputaion for being one of, if not the most busiest airport in australia, going on landing numbers.
im my opinion they do a damn fine job:ok: but i'm sure there are others aswell

Jerricho
25th Feb 2007, 11:40
how many UK controllers from the UK who went to Canada have returned or are about to return?

Ummmm, what's that got to do with all this?

Dream Land
25th Feb 2007, 16:10
Well it appears that no one is going to take the bait on this one, maybe because most of us all know they are all good, the controllers in GAAP could train at CDG and do just fine and visa-versa. :ok:

say what
25th Feb 2007, 18:29
Call off the hounds ....taaa raaa taaa raaaa ......Ladies and Gentlemen ....from Belgrade I present to you the "Best" controller ..
file:///E:/DOCUME%7E1/Admin/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpghttp://myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=00005369

No contest ...what yer think mmmmm?

:hmm:

say what
25th Feb 2007, 18:32
Here's that link again

http://myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=00005369

DFC
25th Feb 2007, 20:56
Jerricho,

Changing the environment can turn the "best" into the not so good after all.

Regards,

DFC

bottom rung
25th Feb 2007, 21:42
Say What....
Looks a winner to me. Nice pair as well, but can't really see from this angle. Are they 737s or airbuses?

Jerricho
25th Feb 2007, 21:43
Oh, so that's why they returned to the UK :rolleyes:

Wrong.

Regards.

Gonzo
25th Feb 2007, 21:45
Seriously?

The worst controllers are those who feel they know it all and even if they don't, are afraid to look stupid by asking for help or advice.

The best are the opposite, they know they will never know everything about their job, they know there will always be someone with a little more experience and knowledge than themselves, and they are willing to ask for help or advice, knowing and yet not caring that it might make them look stupid.

fangorboy
26th Feb 2007, 06:18
Gonzo - you are absolutely spot on. The controller who is willing to take advice and ask questions irrespective of experience level etc.

Good point mate.:ok:

Eric T Cartman
26th Feb 2007, 08:53
Just remember guys, you can be the best in the world for thirty years with nare'y an incident , but have one mid-air collision and they'll never let you forget it ! ;)

Redfox
26th Feb 2007, 17:59

"Angry Controllers

For whatever reasons, controllers honestly believe they each have the best controlling techniques. Most will gladly defend absolutely any decision they make about any instructions they ever give. Even if it results in a deal, many will stand before the investigative committee and say the deal was unavoidable, or it was somebody else's fault, because the actions taken were "obviously" the best possible at the time.

This arrogance can cause a great deal of tension between controllers, especially if it is ever implied that a decision was wrong or could have been done better. Controllers restrain themselves from physically attacking others over comments like "Couldn't get them 10 in trail, huh?", which may be said to friends, but never to others. Shoving and punching may ensue.

Why are controllers aggressive? Because aggressive, arrogant controllers are successful! They don't wonder if a proposed solution is the right solution, they know it is (because they thought of it) and they just do it! They don't mess around trying to vector someone left and right to get to his requested cruising altitude, they just tell him FL290 will be his final, and BOOM, that's his final. They keep traffic moving, getting aircraft up and out of their sectors. They sound professional, and even friendly, but it becomes obvious that there is no compromise, because they have decided on an action, and that action is taking place. They have no time to wonder: maybe there is a better way? Because their plan is the absolute best, and damn it, they will make their plan work.

They move traffic quickly, and there are no deals because they have a firm grip on everything that is going on. They grind their teeth, twirl their pencils and bounce their knees, impatiently waiting to see their perfect plan fall into place. Move this guy here, this guy down to 25, this guy over here, and BOOM, everybody's separated. DO IT!!! DO IT NOW!!! Can't wait to see this!!!! <twirling pencil>. If somebody suggests: just climb him to 27, that'll work too... the controller snaps: TOO BAD!!! HE'S GOING TO 25!!!

This arrogant, "Type A" personality is successful because the job demands quick, unhesitating decisions with little time to ponder alternatives. Come up with a solution, and do it! is the credo of the successful controller. Don't listen to alternatives, don't confer with others about what to do, just key up the damned microphone and do it! They work best in busy, congested facilities, and busy, congested facilities love having them as controllers. They may not come up with the best solutions, but whatever solutions they do come up with will happen, and everybody else can kiss their a##.

The ideal controllers, though, don't need to be rude. They may be just as arrogant and aggressive, but they hide it well. There is no need to externalize their intensity; they simply know their solution is the best, so it is just a matter of efficiently relaying it to the pilots and smugly watching it fall into place. Another controller may suggest an alternative, which the ideal controller may acknowledge is a good plan. But I am going to do it my way, he ultimately says, with a smile! [Ok, a sarcastic smile.] END"

Lon More
2nd Mar 2007, 22:00
Not (http://home.online.no/~chainly/JFKGround.mp3) this guy. :=

Hope he was just having a bad day

Point Seven
2nd Mar 2007, 22:06
Gonzo is the best.

And Jerricho is the worst.

Time to lock this thread now a definitive answer has been cast.

P7

Jerricho
2nd Mar 2007, 22:23
Stop trying to suck up to me.

Tarq57
2nd Mar 2007, 23:58
If funny=good, then Jerricho is the best.
P'd myself! :} :} :}

ATSA_Grunt
3rd Mar 2007, 00:59
Who said ATCOs have ego's??? This is more entertaining than a series of 24!! Please don't stop!!! PMSL

Short Approach?
3rd Mar 2007, 17:30
Not this guy.

Hope he was just having a bad day

Jesus F! Christ give that guy ASMGCS

conflict alert
11th Mar 2007, 12:09
"three staff operating two parrellel runways, and a surface movement. dealing with abinitios, through to china southerns citations, RFDS medcal emergencies ect, with little more than a pair of binoculars"

try one controller operating two parallel runways with two crossing, doing everything from ground / aerodrome control / metars / internal co-ordination / outside lines..NO RADAR...yes we did have a pair of bino's..mix in tow planes, gliders, microlights, helicopters, parachuting, GA - including abinitios and english second language students!!!!!! , IFR training, 3rd level airline aircraft and domestic scheduled flights..using all 4 runways..2 x shifts per day, each controller working over 400 movements per THEIR shift the bulk of which would be over a 4 hour period of each shift (0900-1300 and 1300-1700) = 100 movements/hour...day after day after day after day. We weren't the best...we weren't the worst..we were just f***king good at our airfield, and I'm sure their are others around the world that could say the same. I could tell you WHAT makes a good controller or WHAT makes a bad controller...but you can NEVER say WHO is the best or WHO is the worst.

chevvron
11th Mar 2007, 14:05
Farnborough ATC have just won an award; does that count?

Jerricho
12th Mar 2007, 01:54
Christ, is this thread still going?

Tarq57
12th Mar 2007, 02:12
Christ, is this thread still going?

Yeah. He would've been an awesome controller.

jovica
12th Mar 2007, 21:24
A superior controller is the one who is using his/hers superior judgement to avoid situations which might require the use of his/hers superior skill!

trafficcontrol
13th Mar 2007, 17:20
LOL you got me in stitches!!!:}

chevvron
13th Mar 2007, 20:02
The young lady in 59, is her name really Nikola Tesla? I only ask because that was the name of the bloke who demonstrated radio communications before Marconi 'invented' radio. Tesla was actually trying to find a way of transmitting electrical energy without wires, and it would appear Marconi copied his experiments and made all the money, but Tesla had already demonstrated a radio controlled boat in the late 19th century.

jovica
14th Mar 2007, 07:32
In Serbian language (Nikola Tesla was Serbian) Nikola is strictly male name. It has it's feminine counterpart, but it is spelled and pronounced differently. So, lady Nikola Tesla can't be.
BTW, AC was also his invention (among many others).