PDA

View Full Version : Flying gloves

hugh flung_dung
21st Feb 2007, 16:25
I need to get some new gloves. I've always used the RAF style but it'd be interesting to know how the US nomex ones compare for feel and longevity.

Unfortunately I don't know a friendly storeman any more and Transair are asking £28 for RAF style and £22.50 for US style - does anyone sell them cheaper?

HFD

J.A.F.O.
21st Feb 2007, 20:37
I hate the US ones, got issued a pair once and if I could remember where I'd flung them in disgust then I'd send them to you.

Try eBay - there are a few people offering new ones cheaper than the shops or get down to Tesco and just buy their latest winter gloves - black or brown only but they keep your hands warm, are as fire retardent as any cow and hide the oil.

G-KEST
22nd Feb 2007, 11:50
Its obviously a matter of personal taste however I have been using the US style nomex/leather gloves for around ten years and much prefer them to the RAF pattern cape leather variety. They are warmer and since I usually fly aircraft with no heater this is the real benefit.
Cheers,
Trapper 69
:ok:

PPRuNeUser0211
22nd Feb 2007, 12:19
I work at a multinational unit, where guys have a variety of flying gear, and everyone is forever trying to thieve my RAF gloves, as they are generally perceived to be far superior to their US, Canadian or European counterparts. Having tried a couple of other types whilst here I am inclined to agree! Lovely and comfortable!

VFE
22nd Feb 2007, 17:15
Have any of you glove wearers ever encountered snobbery or scorn from fellow instructors when sporting flying gloves? I thought about getting a pair at the start of winter but couldn't justify the expense when I'd only use them to keep my hands warm when A-checking an aircraft, I already have a pair of leather ones from 'Next' which do that job just fine! Also, the idea made me feel slightly self conscious too, like wearing eppaulettes or Ray Ban aviators, or carring an airline pilot style briefcase into the club... I have on occasion witnessed an instructor get a ribbing just for wearing disposable gloves when -A-checking an aircraft! I didn't participate but it got me thinking.

Come on, admit that it is just a tad poncy. ;)

VFE.

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
22nd Feb 2007, 17:20
not a tad poncy at all

they give you protection in the event of cockpit fire, or from the cold at altitude if you use a Martin Baker let-down.

VFE
22nd Feb 2007, 17:22
Fair enough for mil guys or bang seat flying but I'm talking about wearing them in G-SPAM cans at 3000ft...

Apologies for not clarifying that.

VFE.

hugh flung_dung
22nd Feb 2007, 17:50
Have any of you glove wearers ever encountered snobbery or scorn from fellow instructors
Not at any time, they're fairly commonly worn. I started wearing them when I did my AFI course many years ago - at the suggestion of the mil FIC instructor- and feel naked without them. Fire is one reason but also "feel" (whatever that is) is much better, especially when it's getting a bit sweaty.
FWIW I also wear a bone dome when I'm wearing a parachute (wouldn't it be sad to get out but get wacked on the bonce), and both a bone dome and a flying suit in an open cockpit.

I don't understand how it could be seen as a "tad poncy" in any way - what's the problem? However, wearing disposables for an A check is something that I've never seen, although TBH it' might be a good idea if you need to add oil.

Thanks for the various replies and pms. There's been an almost unanimous vote in favour of the RAF style.

HFD

VFE
22nd Feb 2007, 19:20
Furry muff HFD, just playing devils advocate a little there.

VFE.

PAPI-74
23rd Feb 2007, 14:31
I always used the RAF ones until I got a few pairs from the US.
I decided to go with the Navy Blue (Coast Guard) ones. Since they are made to a price these days, the quality has really dropped off. No cheaper though.

Stick with the RAF Gloves

BEagle
24th Feb 2007, 09:08
I found that RAF gloves were of somewhat variable quality. The white ones of the '70s and '80s were fine, then someone decided to make them a gopping green colour.....:suspect:

Then they went back to white again; however, some politcal corrrecto thought that 'Cape Leather' meant that they cam from nasty apartheid seth efrika, so the supplier was changed. Heaven knows what they were then made from - Etruscan goat scrotums or something similar. The lasted no time at all and ripped absurdly easily. So back to the old type again.....

Mind you, for sheer nonsense, there was that well known tanker pilot, Lord Percy of the Navbags, who used to have one pair for carrying his navbags to the aeroplane, another pair for flying - and a special pair for prodding....:rolleyes: He used to change a pair every 2 weeks - hardly surprising that there were supply issues....:hmm:

Of cause you could always try those great big leather gauntlets used by the Shuttleworth chaps!

I used to have a pair of American nomex ones for doing external checks etc on spamcans, but don't feel the need to fly wearing gloves these days.

jamestkirk
24th Feb 2007, 12:59
Just because the goat skin makes a lovely crack when you hit a student round the face for being over 1 knot out in any flight exercise. I sometimes accompany the leather on leather punishment with a loud 'bastardo' (put on spanish accent).

You cannot do that with politacally correct, liberal, lentil sucking USA ones.

Hope that helps.
JTK

scooter boy
24th Feb 2007, 13:06
When I was doing my PPL(H) I took the piss out of my white leather glove wearing instructor mercilessly for looking like a ponse - (he of course retaliated and took the rise out of me principally because of my appauling lack of flying skills).

However, please don't tell anybody but over the last 5 years I have begun to wear them myself to the extent that I feel undressed without them.

My right thumb wears through the gloves every 18 months or so and they last far less long if they get wet or sweaty but I think they do help.

If you can get past the black and white minstrel/snooker umpire image I think they do give you a better feel of the controls - just remember to take them off if there is anyone else around otherwise they may request a rendition of "mammy" or ask for the cue ball to be polished!

Talking of epaulettes and uniforms they do serve a purpose; I am returning to Preveza airport in Greece this summer for the annual familial beach hols. If you happen to be in the terminal there you will be able to spot my (77 year old) dad and I by the glint of our 5 bar gold epaulettes and aviator glasses! From past experience the only way to get past security at that airport is either to have a boarding card and be herded along with the other cattle or to dress like a South American military dictator. Needless to say the Gaddafi garb will come off as soon as we are in the air - it will have served its purpose!
SB ;)

QNH 1013
24th Feb 2007, 15:10
I wear the white RAF gloves which I find excellent except for:
1. The high cost
2. The short life - I wear out a pair every summer season
3. The colour. Because they start out white, they soon look very dirty with oil stains etc.

Does anyone know of a source of leather gloves that are similarly thin enough to operate awkward switches and buttons, but are either more durable or cheaper, and preferably start off life "oil coloured" ?

jamestkirk
24th Feb 2007, 15:55
75% of blokes do not wash their hands after going to the toilet.................THEN THEY HANDLE THE CONTROL COLUMN.........NICE!

VFE
24th Feb 2007, 18:03
And their lose change too... and door handles.... and, well, you get the idea....

VFE.

jamestkirk
25th Feb 2007, 08:26
Thats disgusting.

Thats it, i am wearing my gloves for everything now. And i mean everything.:O

Sleeve Wing
25th Feb 2007, 10:11
I've worn both RAF and US Nomex gloves but prefer to wear good quality GOLF GLOVES, mainly because of the fit.
Not much help in the Fire situation, I know, but fit like a second skin, keep the CC dry and also warm(ish) when the temps. down a bit.
Actually perfect for aeros in the Pitts/Extra/Bulldog in the Summer.

Choose a 'left' and a 'right' LEATHER dark-coloured glove at a sports supermarket. They're about £5-6 each and so it doesn't matter too much that they might not even last the season.

BTW, I don't play golf. Can't afford it !

VFE
25th Feb 2007, 13:43
*In best Jeremy Paxman drawl*

Yeeeeeeeeers, I think you'll find there's a name for that condition!

Didn't our fellow aviator Howard Hughes exhibit similar behaviour towards the end? :ooh:

VFE.

cavortingcheetah
25th Feb 2007, 14:17
:hmm:

In the maintanance manual for Spruce Goose, which, or so it was rumoured at the time, had been written by HH; under the heading 'lubrucation'
appears an admonition to always remove flying gloves before greasing the nipples.:uhoh:

jamestkirk
25th Feb 2007, 15:15
I ahve been displaying that kind of behaviour for years. i am just lucky people are sympathetic.

ShyTorque
25th Feb 2007, 16:22
Choose a 'left' and a 'right' LEATHER dark-coloured glove at a sports supermarket.

Now that's good advice.... you will need one of each!

scooter boy
25th Feb 2007, 16:38
While you are in the golf attire section you could pick up some really natty checked trousers, some of those severely pimped shoes with black and white uppers, a pringle sweater complete with lurid check pattern and a ridiculous hat of some sort. Then try to pretend that you are having fun whilst chasing a tiny yet rock hard ball around a boggy field on a dreary drizzly day in the middle of a force 9 gale... oh the joys of golf (in the UK)!

SB;)

J.A.F.O.
25th Feb 2007, 20:38
Does anyone know of a source of leather gloves that are similarly thin enough to operate awkward switches and buttons, but are either more durable or cheaper, and preferably start off life "oil coloured" ?
get down to Tesco and just buy their latest winter gloves - black or brown only but they keep your hands warm, are as fire retardent as any cow and hide the oil.
No, really, I've got a pair, they're great. They do a thin lined leather pair that are great and about a fiver.

Sleeve Wing
28th Feb 2007, 19:25
OK, Shy Torque and scooter boy et al.
'Spose I left myself WIDE OPEN for all that ! :D

Anyway, I'm sticking with them.... and I'm certainly no HH !

Rgds, Sleeve.

TheGorrilla
4th Mar 2007, 22:59
Sleeve Wing,

I thought you wore marigolds these day!!?? :}

False Capture
4th Mar 2007, 23:08
Sleeve Wing,

Next time you go to the sports supermarket for flying gloves, go to the Boxing/Martial Arts department.

Boxing gloves will protect your fists when you need to punch below average students like TheGorrilla.:}

TheGorrilla
4th Mar 2007, 23:15
Punching False Capture however would be a waste of time..... He uses his fists enough on himself!! :ooh:

Captain Wan King
4th Mar 2007, 23:17
Latex gloves are my favourite ... but they don't offer much fire protection for flying.:oh:

Neptunus Rex
5th Mar 2007, 09:27
A word of caution. Many moons ago, an ex RAF mate was doing his ATPL training on a light twin and reached forward to adjust the heading bug. As he moved his right hand back, the divergent cuff of his Cape leather flying glove caught on the port throttles and caused an embarrassing loss of thrust!
"Pass me the silver tongs Mr Hoskins, I wish to retract the flaps." Captain O P Jones (allegedly) who always wore white gloves.
Neppy
:cool:

Sleeve Wing
5th Mar 2007, 16:29
Marigolds ? Boxing gloves ?
LATEX ??, Cpt.W.K.-F.C. ?????
You keep those for what you usually use them for ! Er, washing the.......... car, wasn't it ?? :rolleyes:

Now where can I hide from you guys ??
:ugh:

TheGorrilla
5th Mar 2007, 22:54
You could try hiding in a small cupboard in the back of a hangar in the darkest depths of eglm..... be afraid though...