PDA

View Full Version : GPS - Smartphone - Aviation software?

Dope
21st Feb 2007, 08:25
Does anyone know of a sensible/alternative solution? Currently using an Ipaq with Navman jacket and road map. Battery life is Naff, and keeps getting lost! Smartphone Battery is good and runs MS mobile - any techo whizzies out there?

Rans Flyer
21st Feb 2007, 09:24
Mio A701 Pocket PC / smartphone running WM5.
I use it as a phone, car satnav(TomTom v6), and backup GPS in the plane using Memory Map (I find the 1/2 mil scale easier to read than the 1/2 mil).
Works fine.
You can see it here under my Garmin 296.
http://www.flightforlife.co.uk/images/G-BZNH-DASH.JPG

Rans,
www.FlightForLife.co.uk

High Wing Drifter
21st Feb 2007, 09:42
Looks like a belt and braces approach there RansFlyer :)

I've just ordered a Mio P350 (http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/c-pdas-apl.html?PHPSESSID=fe8a690b7d6dd3117ad5fcacb739887a - the intention is to use this exclusively for flying related stuff only) to use in conjunction with the seemingly incredible www.PocketFMS.com (http://www.PocketFMS.com) software. I also will buy the http://www.memory-map.co.uk/maps_uk_intheair.htm CAA scans after the new southern chart is out.

Hopefully a nice flexible, powerful, cheap and compact solution. I'm aware that battery life can be a problem with the PDAs, but the 350 seems to get some positive views from one or two pilots on the Flyer forum. If not it would have only set me back one hour of twin time :}

bonniejack
21st Feb 2007, 10:18
I have a smart phone/pda with Bluetooth and a Bluetooth GPS receiver and memory map 1/2 mill (which includes the 1/4 mils in the coverage). Haven't tried it in the air yet but works brilliantly in the car and I like the familiar mapping. Main prob is mounting . I am going to try blutac. The GPS was under £35 . The PDA clips onto my kneeboard. I am a student at mo. so won't be using it but nice to know it is in my pocket if I get well muddled.
Don't wish to offend mods with web link but pm me anyone who is interested. I have no connection with the supplier

dublinpilot
21st Feb 2007, 11:25
Another vote for www.pocketfms.com (http://www.pocketfms.com).

You should be able to find a mount for your PDA, which you can attach to the windsheald. There are quite common for car use. They usually allow you to power your PDA from a 12V cigarette lighter too, if you have one in your aircraft. The PDA battery then just becomes a fully charged emergency power source.

dp

Rans Flyer
21st Feb 2007, 11:29
High Wing Drifter, it certainly is a belt and braces approach!

I find the great thing with the A701 and the Mio P350 is the built in SiRF GPS.
Both units pick up a better signal (and quicker) than the Garmin 296!

My old instructor has a Mio P350. Excellent screen (better than the A701), and because you dont need a bluetooth connection, superb battery life.

Rans,
www.FlightForLife.co.uk

mcgoo
21st Feb 2007, 12:06
I use an Orange M600 smart phone with bluetooth gps receiver, runs tom-tom, pocketfms and electronic logbook.

The phone was free on contract, gps receiver about £40 and software free, windscreen mount and cradle was about £20

Dope
21st Feb 2007, 18:51
I think I'll try a bluetooth or cable GPS onto my M3100 and pocketfms and see how I get on.

T31m Nutter.

Final_25
22nd Feb 2007, 10:25
A helpful tip on this subject...

Recently bought a O2 XDA Orbit pocket PC/mobile with onboard GPS. Downloaded Pocket FMS to see if it would be useful as a backup GPS for GA flying. Didn't get round to trying it in PA-28 but found myself as passenger in A319 from Heathrow and thought it would be interesting to see how the moving map worked.

Switched it to flight mode and launched FMS. All well as we taxiied out to the runway. Watched the speed indicator build up as the take-off run started. Suddenly RING RING RING RING RING at max volume and PULL UP OBSTACLE AHEAD flashing in big red letters on the screen. Looks varying from filthy to terrified from surrounding pax. Not a good moment :O. Just thought you might like to know.

dublinpilot
22nd Feb 2007, 12:43
:D

You can turn those sounds off if you wish, and just have the pop up warnings.

You can even turn off the pop up warnings if you want too ;)

But of course you should be listening to the flight attendants when they tell you to turn off all electronic equipment for the take off and landing :O Maybe that's why you were getting filthy looks :O

dp

dublinpilot
20th Mar 2007, 13:47
The latest version of PocketFMS is now available for download, in case you missed it ;)

Baron Von Mildred
31st Mar 2007, 20:53
Have not had much to do with smartphones/gps recently. Can anyone advise how the purpose made aviation GPS units (Garmin et al) compare with smartphones/pda's running pocket fms for usability practicality etc?

On cost basis the smartphone/pda seems to win hands down.

Baron von Mildred

KCDW
9th May 2007, 18:57
Dear all,
Did a search on the above, and found this thread. just would like to reiterate Baron Von Mildred's question. I note that there is now a €150 pa subscription for the software. The implication being that it is now in a fairly professional state. I currently have my faithful Garmin Pilot 3, coupled with NavBox Pro. However, I already have the kit (an IPAQ, and a Tom Tom GPS), so I was wondering about a fairly painless upgrade. Thoughts?

Baron Von Mildred
11th May 2007, 08:23
Since my last post, I have spoken to a few people on the matter. The consensus seems to be that of questioning the wisdom of using nav software on a unstable platform like a PDA. I don't have one as yet so I can't comment on their stability. Any input from users would be appreciated.

BEagle
11th May 2007, 08:53
Flymap say that they've teamed up with eTen to offer the Flyphone, the first aviation GPS to incorporate a cellphone. Their Flyphone package includes the telephone with Flymap Navigation and Jeppesen maps of the UK. Obviously it'll require a SIM card for the phone to work but they say that it can be used with any UK based mobile phone network. They also have a PDA platform - you can see more info. on their website www.flymap.co.uk (http://www.flymap.co.uk) ; looks nice but cheap it isn't!

(I have no connection with them, incidentally.)

keni
11th May 2007, 09:24
Another vote for PocketFMS...

Allthough it now costs I'd still would advise it as a back up to any GPS unit in the plane...

You can even copy your breadcrumbs into Google Earth and show your route with altitude!

High Wing Drifter
11th May 2007, 11:35
I don't have one as yet so I can't comment on their stability. Any input from users would be appreciated.
I find my Mio P350 with PFMS too flakey to be much use. However, I have been assured that this is not representative of a PDA+PFMS setup. Neither, I should add, have I made any real effort to resolve the problem.

Slopey
11th May 2007, 11:54
I have a Fujitsu-Siemens T830, WM5, GPS onboard and PocketFMS. Works pretty well although the screen is a little too small on the 830 for anything serious (240x240) - if my HTC TyTN or 9100 had GPS on board, it would be much better! Some of the non-phone Fuji PocketLoox PDA's with integral GPS look good too - might try that as another solution and maybe give MemoryMap a go.

No problems with stability on any WM5 device I've used - provided you don't install too many (or badly written) Today plug-ins. The Resco today plug in is particularly flakey I've found.

I use it stuck to the panel/yoke as a convenient way to record my route and use the Garmin 250XL in the panel for normal nav, however the PDA if the screen was bigger would knock the socks off the 250's monocrome (and tiny) screen.

Henry Hallam
11th May 2007, 18:52
In my humble opinion, as a paid-up "donor" to PocketFMS..
Garmin is miles better than PocketPC + PocketFMS. Hands down, I'd take my Garmin Pilot III any day despite its smaller screen and lack of colour. PFMS is just too flaky, unreliable, slow and annoying to use. The Garmins are dedicated and do the job really well.

On the other hand PFMS is cheaper if you already have a suitable palmtop.