PDA

View Full Version : f16/tornado flight

v8girl
21st Feb 2007, 07:08
My partner has shown interest in spending flying time in either of the above planes whilst in the uk this year. I joined this forum in the hope that someone might guide me towards obtaining this info. Many thanks in advance. Tigs

StraightLevel
21st Feb 2007, 08:15
you could try getting in touch with the USAF or the RAF, who I am sure would love to here from you.

i believe that they would be the only organisations who operate these types regularly in the uk.

perhaps you could try a post in the Military Aircrew section of this website as there is a bigger chance that someone there will be able to help you.

Regards,

StraightLevel:}

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
21st Feb 2007, 08:17
I'd say your best bet would be to treat him to http://www.justflight.com/product.asp?pid=60

Dope
21st Feb 2007, 08:36
unless you are of Media interest or visiting high ranking person via proper channels - Fat Chance - I have good friends who Fly these and other types and they can't get me a go! Even when I visited another flying unit within the RAF it had to be via CO's request :{ good luck anyway - 'don't ask don't get!'

Cessna 210 Heavy
21st Feb 2007, 09:49
I feel that you would have no chance in getting a seat in any fast jet, unless it was in civilian operation.

The RAF and USAF are not airlines and will not allow the public to fly in the back of anything. The only way you can get to do it is if you are in the RAF and get a 'jolly' for hard work or a TV presenter, and thus bringing good PR to the RAF.

I spend many years with Tornado GR1s and 4s and the only person we ever took up that wasnt in the RAF was Juan Pablo Montoya, and Mclaren still had to pay for it!

foxmoth
21st Feb 2007, 10:10
Try http://www.deltajets.com/
I don't think they can currently offer flights and it would not be in the types you mention anyway, but they are probably the best to talk to for advice on this. The other place to look is S. Africa where there is some Civi fast jet flying.
http://www.thundercity.com/

airborne_artist
21st Feb 2007, 11:03
I guess you'd be a bit upset if he had a sex change, plastic surgery and became a Blue Peter presenter.

It's his only chance :}

fishtits
21st Feb 2007, 11:10
If he just wants a go in a fast jet - you could go to jetprovostclub.com and become a member - I know it's not an F16 - but it's still good craic!

maxdrypower
21st Feb 2007, 15:27
or goto thundercity as alreay mentioned in SA then you could fly a lightning which in my book os far better than any trip in a crap tornado

hobbit1983
21st Feb 2007, 16:03
You flown both those types then maxdrypower? :}

maxdrypower
21st Feb 2007, 17:28
Both Gr1 and F3 and have flown backseat in an f16 but in my humble opinion there is no aircraft that will ever beat the lightning ever ever , keep the sarcasm for someone else doesnt wash here im afriad

hobbit1983
21st Feb 2007, 17:55
No, that would be friendly banter- may I politely suggest that, in future, you respond in kind!

I was curious as to the origin of your opinion.....given your profile information.

Anyway, to keep the thread on track - I believe that the Russian military may be able to help your partner, v8girl - http://www.incredible-adventures.com/edgeofspace.html, as they allow paying customers the chance to experience fast jet flight.

I realise it's not an F-16 or Tornado - but then, as far as I know, the RAF or USAF do not offer flights in the those aircraft for money.

maxdrypower
21st Feb 2007, 18:13
interesting , sounded like sarcasm to me but hey there you go , never believe everything you read in a profile, but yeh goto russia allsorts over there , if yourn prepared to pay that is

airborne_artist
21st Feb 2007, 19:57
If he just wants a go in a fast jet - you could go to jetprovostclub.com

Not many ex-Service flyers would call a JP a fast jet. Constant speed, variable noise, perhaps, but fast, certainly not! :E

Megaton
21st Feb 2007, 20:48
maxdrypower,

When you say you've "flown" these types, you do mean as a passenger, don't you?

I am a low hours pilot with a share in a new garmin equipped 172 based at barton.

Fishtailed
21st Feb 2007, 22:47
Dope, only your last line is right. I am not anything you or C210H stated (just a C172 PPL) but I was a sandbag in a F3 out of Leeming, and it was fantastic. Thanks 23 sqn.:ok:

TheGorrilla
22nd Feb 2007, 00:55
v8girl,

What flying experience does your partner have? This may have some relevance. If he's a fast jet jock anyway he'll have no trouble. If he has experience of aviation in this country at all I'm surprised he even asked the question. If he has not flown before I'd suggest aiming his sights on say, a flying club, and working upwards from there. Good luck with whatever it is you're trying to acheive.

Dope
22nd Feb 2007, 07:37
Fishtail,

How did you manage that! was it long ago? -(if there was a green with envy graphic face I'd use it).

The only time I got a fast-jet ride was an F4 at Wattisham mid-80's but one of the engines went dicky before we lined up - *****%^&$*!

stillin1
22nd Feb 2007, 09:58
v8girl

F16 = not based in the UK & trying to get into a spam airliner is difficult enough these days!!!:mad:
F3 = NO chance at all - with the possible exeption being if yer partner is a fast jet pilot in a Service that the government approves of and he can dream up an inventive enough excuse for a trip, or he is a member of a Royal family, government that fits the above criteria. Media = very few and far between.

Better off asking Bae, along with the line that he is a prince and has several billion dingbats to blow on a pointy thing for the .......kingdom. They do anything for cash, no Qs asked:=

I shall not expect to see him in the crewroom any time soon:ok:

J.A.F.O.
22nd Feb 2007, 11:38
Now I really want to know who her other half is.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
22nd Feb 2007, 12:04
When you say you've "flown" these types, you do mean as a passenger, don't you?

Quote:
I am a low hours pilot with a share in a new garmin equipped 172 based at barton

Of course, MS Flight sim is wonderful these days, has lots of jets to choose from...:E

Fishtailed
22nd Feb 2007, 12:31
Dope, it was 15 years ago. I wrote to Conningsby and Leuchars and got refusals but a yes from Leeming. I can't see it happening today though.:sad:

maxdrypower
22nd Feb 2007, 13:07
oh bless some people have a lot of time on their hands it would seem , does flying in these aircraft not count as flying in a fast jet then ????? ive also done hawk and tucano , but hey i was fast asleep and have no opinon to give

J.A.F.O.
22nd Feb 2007, 13:14
Max
Hobbit didn't ask if you'd flown in them, he asked if you'd flown them and your reply was somewhat confusing as you said that you'd flown backseat in the F16 which seemed to imply that you'd flown in some other position in the Tornado.
Anyway, I still want to know whether Tigs is going out with the Crown Prince of Somewheristan or whether she's just mad. (Edit - or endearingly naive).

hobbit1983
22nd Feb 2007, 13:24
How on earth did you fall asleep in a Hawk AND a Tucano? If that was me, I’d have been wideawake

maxdrypower
22nd Feb 2007, 13:25
hmm then it is clearly my fault and the chap with no life who searched on my posts to find out who I was clearly wasted his time in his attempot to discredit me , for reasons best known to him , funny my profile says i have a ppl ah well. Just so anyone else sat by his computer witha dubious magazines and tissue decides to have a go at poor old max , I was in the RAF for many years during which time I was lucky enough to con my way into various BACK SEATS including a danish f16 , that one was a lottery win believe me . All these aircraft are much of a muchness when your in them 5g's is 5g's my point was , has there ever been a fighter aircraft that matches the mystique power and all round aesthetics of the lightning ???? in my opinion no but hey its my unoffensive not putting anyone down innocent not intending to insult anyone opinion ill keep my mouth shut in future . However my original point was valid thunder city id the place to go if you wanna fly those sorts of A/C and yes I have been there , unfrotunately the cost of the holiday was less than the cost of the flight in a fast jet.
I didnt fall aslepp I was being sarcastic toward those who are having a go

hobbit1983
22nd Feb 2007, 13:35
Max; no one is having a go at you. You seem to have an UNBELIEVABLE chip on your shoulder.

Why couldn’t you have just said that in the first place, to lend some credence to your opinion? It’s hardly surprising that, given your profile information, people will be skeptical if you say the Tornado is crap.

I’m sure that we’d be interested to have heard about Thunder City, why not tell us about it?

maxdrypower
22nd Feb 2007, 13:44
Hobster , no chip whatsoever . The original thread is about getting someone a flight in one which is exactly what I did. The problem is on this site and you see it time and time again , more from the masters of the univers who fly airliners on the wannabees forums , but people dont want to give an honest opinion they wanna have a go at people who make spelling mistakes or dont use correct grammar etc etc etc , who cares its sposed to be a forum not a job interview or a round on countdown . but aside from that Thunder city aircraft are amazing a hunter a bucc and I think they have two lightnings . The chap who owns it Mike Head is unique in that he was never a military pilot and started flying the aircraft on a ppl . Anyone can go and fly there in any of the aircraft. The prices are comparable to those mig flights you can get in the former ussr . Im sure there is a website for them detailing everything but its one of those if you have to ask the price you cant afford it . I challenge any tornado pilot to say he or she in this modern age would not want to fly a lightning , I think i could probably say that I doubt youll find one who would like to go up against one either

hobbit1983
22nd Feb 2007, 13:49
Glad to hear it, no worries. Thanks for the info.

gcolyer
22nd Feb 2007, 15:27
I think either of these would be the mutz nutz!! I would be right chuffed to get one (or more) as a gift.

http://www.buyagift.co.uk/products/5234.htm

http://www.exhilaration.co.uk/Air_experiences/Aerobatic_flying/Top_Gun_experience_(Midweek)

hobbit1983
22nd Feb 2007, 15:39
Or, if you had the funds, one of these....

http://www.avtechgroup.com/aircraft.asp

StraightLevel
22nd Feb 2007, 16:15
hi v8girl,

so how did you get on with the telecom to the RAF or USAF?

StraightLevel:)

J.A.F.O.
22nd Feb 2007, 16:39
Thundercity (http://www.thundercity.com/)

Can't afford the bus fare to South Ockenden, let alone the air fare to South Africa. Ah, well - I can dream.

No offence meant, Max, I was just a mite confused.

MichaelJP59
23rd Feb 2007, 13:37
Flight in a Thundercity Lightning is about 5K sterling isn't it?

I'd be torn between that or low level in the Buccaneer. Would be nice to have the choice though!

I had the pleasure of a Deltajets flight in a Hunter a few years ago for a fraction of that cost and although nothing like as powerful as a Lightning it was great fun and deeply impressive for someone who has only been in spamcans or airliners.

crap pilot
23rd Feb 2007, 14:02
maxdrypower, Which aircraft did you have the flight in at thundercity and how much did it cost?

SinBin
23rd Feb 2007, 14:40
Many moons ago, i spent a couple of weeks at RAF Valley, got a few back seat trips with all three Hawk sqns based there at the time (now only 2 I think). I have to say, although exhilarating, it was one of the most unpleasent experiences of my life. If you enjoy the feeling of being sick from the moment you leave the ground, then go for it. I have no desire to go again in a fast jet ever again. No the A320 is fine with me (I start flying them in April, finally).

Dope
23rd Feb 2007, 14:54
I don't think Maxdry said he had been to thunder city. I too think TC is awesome - I'd love to go .......ah...one day! Lightning for me.

MDP might be observed as a triffle enthusiastic but why are people on this forum so un-aviation in spirit? The next person who corrects un-necessary spelling mistakes or gets the hump goes straight off my Christmas card list!

Sorry V8girl this thread is not how one should measure Aviation in the UK. We are all very helpful and would all turn out to help fellow aviators - we only laugh with them; oh and take the pi$$ at every opportunity!

Talking of Lightnings and Christmas card lists - 'Spock' are you out there?

crap pilot
23rd Feb 2007, 16:40
I don't think Maxdry said he had been to thunder city.

thunder city id the place to go if you wanna fly those sorts of A/C and yes I have been there

He didnt say that he had flown with them but he could still give us an idea of the price.

Bravo73
23rd Feb 2007, 17:58
an idea of the price.

I've not been to Thunder City but I asked the same question of someone who had.

A trip in the Lightning is going to cost you more than £5k but less than £10k. :ok:

maxdrypower
23rd Feb 2007, 18:34
No unfortunately I havent flown in them that would be a dream, I am in the same boat as JAFO the holiday cost enough , I was there some years ago and cant remember the pricing but 5 grand is or was about tight I haven tlooked at the website but im sure it woudl give you an idea there , however if anyone wishes to finance my flight then feel free to pm me:hmm:

J.A.F.O.
23rd Feb 2007, 22:00
Now, you see, if someone gave me that amount just for flying then I'd buy the Cub share that I was offered last night and had to turn down because the kids want to eat and wear shoes and stuff like that.

But that's a different dream altogether.

halty
23rd Feb 2007, 22:03
I very nearly got a "flight" in a Dutch F16, pity i was in the circuit in a Yak at the time and he was going the other way!! dont they have big air intakes as they go over your head {just}

J.A.F.O.
23rd Feb 2007, 22:08
If I was going to Thundercity I'd take a trip in the Hunter, go high and fast in the Lightning then low and slow in the Bucc.

I've flown in formation with a Hunter (but I was in a Pilatus Turbo Porter and it didn't last long) and did a lot of work with the Buccs out over the oggin but never got inside one and I remember sneaking round the back of Warton when I was a lad - probably bunking off school - when a Lightning took off and stood on its tail just above my head before disappearing straight up, we felt the noise rather than heard it.

If I'd gone to school rather than bunked off that day, who knows, but I don't regret it for a second.

a4fly
24th Feb 2007, 13:01
If you manage to get a go in an F16, let's hope that you get more luck than this guy !! :ooh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWCCPog9m9o

hoodie
24th Feb 2007, 13:26
That was not an F-16 - no matter what YouTube might say.

Accident occurred in Canada on 14 May 2004; it was an NFTC CT-155 (Hawk) aircraft, 155202.

Accident report here (http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/dfs/docs/Fti/CT155202_e.asp).

a4fly
24th Feb 2007, 16:29
It doesn't matter whether it was a Hawk, F16, Harrier or whatever. If you have one engine and little height or speed you will always get the same result, a long walk home !

Fishtailed
25th Feb 2007, 16:40
"If I was going to Thundercity I'd take a trip in the Hunter, go high and fast in the Lightning then low and slow in the Bucc."
JAFO, If you was in a Buccaneer you would be going low and FAST, it was one of their attributes, and I've sampled it myself. The Hunter flight I had was unforgettable too. A lottery win would definatly see me in Cape Town for a Lightning trip. I wrote to Binbrook in 1985 but they were too damn busy for pax trips.:{

J.A.F.O.
25th Feb 2007, 20:27
Fish

You're quite right, I was obviously very tired. Wouldn't be much point going if it was to go slow, I can do that in what I've got over here. How my fingers typed slow without telling my brain about it I just don't know.

:bored:

Genghis the Engineer
26th Feb 2007, 10:50
How on earth did you fall asleep in a Hawk AND a Tucano? If that was me, I’d have been wideawake

I've fallen asleep in a Tucano, as I recall it was briefly and during the recovery from an oscillatory max-power inverted spin during the latter stages of the type's approval flight test programme. Not an experience that, if I'm honest, I'd care to repeat.

I was in the back seat, I was not a passenger!

G :E

TheGorrilla
26th Feb 2007, 23:15
There are alot of sad people on here trying to "out seat" each other......

Genghis the Engineer
27th Feb 2007, 08:51
It relieves the monotony of a day in the office. I'm currently occupying a mid-range blue fabric office chair, which is deeply unimpressive, whilst writing a report about some very interesting flying - done by somebody else!

G

Gingerbread Man
28th Feb 2007, 16:44
hmm then it is clearly my fault and the chap with no life who searched on my posts to find out who I was clearly wasted his time in his attempot to discredit me , for reasons best known to him , funny my profile says i have a ppl ah well, just so anyone else sat by his computer witha dubious magazines and tissue decides to have a go at poor old max , I was in the RAF for many years during which time I was lucky enough to con my way into various BACK SEATS including a danish f16 , that one was a lottery win believe me .

And the award for the longest ever 'sentence' goes to.....

Ginger ;) (That's me signing off, not claiming the award you understand)

J.A.F.O.
28th Feb 2007, 16:46
Mine's a sort of director's chair type thing, awfully tasteful.

Bravo73
28th Feb 2007, 18:54
Hmmm, one post by v8girl asking a vaguely ridiculous question followed by 3 pages of discussions. Nothing else then heard from the original poster.

Isn't this the very definition of a troll? :suspect: