PDA

View Full Version : What happens to my flightplan?

BackPacker
20th Feb 2007, 23:41
Background: I'm a JAA (CAA) PPL, which I obtained in Florida. Never done a flightplan there (Flight Following was the way to go). I'm now flying (for over a year) out of EHRD (FPL mandatory) to controlled and uncontrolled fields. Depending on circumstances I submit the plan via the internet, from the EHRD briefing room or over the phone to the Amsterdam FIO. It all works fine but I still do not get the finer points of what happens with this plan. Could somebody (preferably from the EHAA FIR) enlighten me on the following:
- Okay, flightplan submitted and accepted. Where is it sent? Who all receive the flightplan? EHRD TWR for sure, but how about AMS INFO or Dutch MIL? My destination? Alternates? Or do they all have access to the same big database?
- If I depart from EHRD, I assume EHRD TWR opens the flightplan. What does this "opening" actually mean in practice? Do they toggle a bit in a database, or does it involve a call or message to somewhere?
- If I depart from an uncontrolled field, let's say EHTX, who opens my flight plan then?
- If I, on a whim, decide to ask for a sightseeing clearance into or through the EHAM CTR while flying from EHTX to EHRD, does EHAM TWR have access to a copy of my plan? If I knew I was going to ask for that clearance before I departed, would it have made sense to put that in my plan? If so, how? How about if I fly from an uncontrolled to another uncontrolled field (EHTX to EHMZ, for instance, no FPL mandatory), but want to fly through controlled airspace?
- Who closes my flightplan upon arrival on a controlled and on an uncontrolled field? Should I ask for this or is this done implicitly?
- How does communicating, opening and closing of a plan work on international VFR flights?
- The only route I have specified so far is the VFR departure from EHRD. Does it make sense for a VFR flight to put in a more elaborate route? If so, how do I do this if I "Follow Roads" instead of airways/VORs?
- I know that if I'm crossing a FIR boundary I need to put in an EET/ for the boundary. But the internet tool refuses multiple EET/ entries for a flight to, e.g., France. Is this a limitation of the tool or not?
- What happens when I'm overdue? Who is supposed to notice this, or is this flagged automatically somewhere? At what point in time can I expect a full-scale rescue operation to be mounted?
- I understand from various websites that the UK ATC system is a little "lax" (for lack of a better word; this is not meant as criticism) in closing flightplans, to the annoyance of FR/BE/NL controllers who are stuck with open flightplans of planes that have left for the UK, and whose plans are not being closed. Is this true? How do I make sure that my plan is indeed closed if I fly to the UK? Any other countries/places I should be aware of? Could someone from the UK comment on this whole "Responsible Person" thing?
- Anything else I need to know/do/should not do to make life of the professionals at the FIO and in the towers easier?
I have looked all over the internet and in my study books and there's not a lot of documentation on this stuff to be found. The best bit is the CAA document on FPLs but it only covers HOW to fill in an FPL form, not what happens afterwards.

Chilli Monster
21st Feb 2007, 08:49
- I understand from various websites that the UK ATC system is a little "lax" (for lack of a better word; this is not meant as criticism) in closing flightplans, to the annoyance of FR/BE/NL controllers who are stuck with open flightplans of planes that have left for the UK, and whose plans are not being closed. Is this true?

This is the first I've ever heard of this, and I don't see where the problem is? It's not the responsibility of the departure airfield to initiate Search And Rescue operation, so they have no need to know whether you have arrived at your destination. IFR flights in the IFPS region don't have their FPL's closed - how many flights every day is that? (several thousand).

What if your arival is after the departure aerodrome has closed - are they going to sit there until you've arrived or are they going to shut at normal time? I think we both know the answer to this. I suspect what you have read is a little bit of an "urban myth" and would like to see something more substantial than "website chat" to back it up

How do I make sure that my plan is indeed closed if I fly to the UK? Any other countries/places I should be aware of?

I don't think it's necessary, as you've probably gathered from the above. However, in Fld 18 of the FPL you could put "RMK/ REQ ARR to EHRDZTZX" (for example). When you arrive at your destination the ATS unit at your destination will send an ARR (arrival) message to your departure aerodrome (Rotterdam in this case).

Could someone from the UK comment on this whole "Responsible Person" thing?

Rather than formally close your FPL you personally nominate a responsible person (maybe the people who you are visiting) to notify the authorities in the event that you do not turn up at your destination. Bear in mind that this is really aimed at internal, non FPL flights, or flights terminating at an airfield without any form of ATS unit.

If you are flying on a FPL (which if the flight is international you will) and a DEP message is sent (which, if the flight is VFR, it should be) the ATS unit at the destination aerodrome effectively becomes your "responsible person" (provided you've planned to arrive there during the hours they are open). If you want to make sure this happens - again, Field 18 if the FPL again - "RMK/REQ DEP TO ????ZTZX" (???? being the ICAO code of the destination aerodrome).

BackPacker
21st Feb 2007, 11:38
I have seen an article about having to close a FPL after arriving in the UK in either Flyer or Today's Pilot - trustworthy magazines in my opinion. And I just found this on the internet, which states basically the same thing:
http://www.modernpilot.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=124&Itemid=55
It seems to me that the UK is different from other EU countries in that they do not automatically send an ARR message/close a FPL upon arrival, where other countries do. But I asked my questions on this forum because I want to be sure... :-)

Chilli Monster
21st Feb 2007, 19:20
I've just read the modernpilot article - there are a few mistakes in there, effectively about the things you're talking about - I'll take them in order:

1) FPL's are NOT transmitted to your alternate unless you specifically ask them to be.

2) You CAN amend a filed FPL, the most common by asking the FBU that you filed the plan with to delay it using a DLA message. You can also change various fields of the FPL by using a CHG message. The only time you HAVE to cancel and re-file is if you are departing earlier than planned - but this is more relevant to IFR flights than VFR, or cancelling the flight completely (obvious I know).

3) Closing a FPL abroad - yes. Closing in the UK - not required (as explained in my previous post).

BackPacker
22nd Feb 2007, 14:22
I checked my stack of magazines, and while I did not find the article that I was referring to, I did find a similar thing in Flyer, Nov. 2006, which deals with flying in Ireland.

"Now, unlike the UK, you must close flightplans in Ireland. If you land at a controlled airfield then the flightplan will be automatically closed. Ifyou land at an airfield with an AFIS, then they may be helpful and close it for you, but check it - it is your responsibility! If you land at an uncontrolled airfield, then either close the flightplan with Shannon or Dublin over the radio before landing, or call Shannon Low Level on [tel] after landing, and ask them to close it for you."

I've still got the feeling that the UK is the odd man out with regards to closing flightplans... As far as I know (but I'm here to verify!) the rest of Europe works identical to the Ireland situation as listed above.

LH2
22nd Feb 2007, 15:16
As far as I know (but I'm here to verify!) the rest of Europe works identical to the Ireland situation as listed above

The French do, also the Spaniards. If you do not close your flightplan, you get an expensive SAR operation started. Flying to an uncontrolled airfield, you can close over the radio as described (at least in France), or you call a phone number (0-800-IFRVFR in France, IIRC).

What does ZTZX mean, btw?

Defruiter
22nd Feb 2007, 15:40
It's the 4 letter facility code for the AFTN (Aeronautical Fixed Telecommunications Network)

ZTZX refers to "Tower" So in that example, EHRDZTZX is Rotterdam Tower :)

BackPacker
22nd Feb 2007, 16:48
More information on AFTN on Wikipedia... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFTN

Important to note is that not every airstrip is connected to the AFTN network. I doubt whether EHTXZTZX works... :-)

eastern wiseguy
22nd Feb 2007, 17:05
Now, unlike the UK, you must close flightplans in Ireland

In Northern Ireland we have this "close my flightplan" all the time from aircraft crossing into the UK FIR ....the answer is usually "roger":hmm:

Chilli Monster
22nd Feb 2007, 17:25
Important to note is that not every airstrip is connected to the AFTN network. I doubt whether EHTXZTZX works... :-)

You'll probably find it does ;)

Messages sent to units not connected to the AFTN will terminate at the parent AIS, FBU or FPRS. They will then be onward trasmitted to the intended recipient, normally by fax.

BackPacker
22nd Feb 2007, 18:24
I just did a test FPL via the NL AIS internet tool. EHRD (controlled) DCT SPL (a VOR in the EHAM CTR) DCT EHTX (uncontrolled and in any case closed by now). The only addressee is EHAMZPZX. I assume this ends up at the Flight Information Office at Amsterdam? And they send it onwards to whoever needs the info?

From earlier plans did, I can see that the message is originating from EHWMYJYJ. Is that me personally or is that just a generic "coming from the internet" thing? :-)

vintage ATCO
22nd Feb 2007, 18:49
There is no concept in the UK (with one important exception*) of 'closing a FPL'. Yes, we are different, the reasons lost in the mists of time. As Chilli says, I don't know why overseas departures get exercised over this as SAR is not their concern. When it became possible to land outside of a customs airport we regularly got requests to cancel FPLs. We tried to explain at first but then gave up and just said 'Roger'.

As for putting 'REQ ARR TO whatever' we wouldn't even see it at our place. Auto FPL processing, Electronic Strips . . . Oh dear.

*The exception is if you have to nominate an ATS unit as your 'Responsible Person' when landing out in the sticks. You must notify them within 30 mins of your arrival otherwise SAR could be commenced.

BackPacker
22nd Feb 2007, 22:46
Thanks Chilli, ATCO, LH2, eastern. At least you confirmed my suspicion that the UK is different from mainland Europe & Ireland. I'll probably be asking London Info to close my flightplan anyway when coming from abroad despite the fact that I now know I get a meaningless "roger" back. Just to cover my ass if somebody outside the UK decides to launch a SAR anyway :-)

I had a few other questions in my original post. Among others, does it make sense to put an elaborate route in a VFR flightplan? Is anybody reading this in case of VFR? Does it increase my chances of getting a transition through controlled airspace en-route? And if so, how do I do this if I "Follow Roads"?

Chilli Monster
22nd Feb 2007, 23:38
I had a few other questions in my original post. Among others, does it make sense to put an elaborate route in a VFR flightplan?

No - the route is really there for search and rescue action should anything happen en-route. Keep this in mind when filing it and file a route which is easy to follow for the reader but is close enough to what you will fly to be useful should the worst happen.

Does it increase my chances of getting a transition through controlled airspace en-route?

No - as these units don't get a copy of the FPL. Even if they did, having the details of all possible transiters to hand on a busy summers day would be physically impossible, and so they're not really interested until you call for transit.

chiglet
23rd Feb 2007, 00:58
BackPacker
I am an ATSA at Manchester. We have a "Parent AFTN" responsibility.
This means.....
"You" Fax or Telephone a "Flightplan", We will transmit the FPL to the "Relevant Addressees"....
IFR The adds is EGZYIFPS aka "Eurocontrol Flight Plans" [simplistic, but near enough]
VFR, we have CAP551 to give the "relevant" adds.
IF you are IFR INTO the UK, you are "Monitored", so no ARR needs be sent. If however, you are VFR into the Uk, then a Phone call to the "Parent Unit" to close the FPL is in order. If you land at a different a/f than planned, then a Diversion Arrival MUST be sent.
When you "Depart", a "Responsible Person" ON THE GROUND may pass your airborne time to the nearest ATSU. Or YOU may contact the nearest ATSU/FIR and pass your ATD for onward transmission
Hope this helps
watp,iktch

vintage ATCO
23rd Feb 2007, 06:30
If however, you are VFR into the Uk, then a Phone call to the "Parent Unit" to close the FPL is in order.

Surely, Chiglet, this only applies if you have nominated the Parent Unit as the 'Responsible Person' (ENR 1-10-3). If you best mate Bob is your responsible person then providing Bob knows you have arrived safely then no further action is necessary.

When you "Depart", a "Responsible Person" ON THE GROUND may pass your airborne time to the nearest ATSU.

In this case they should inform the Parent Unit (ENR 1-10-3 again) :)

chiglet
23rd Feb 2007, 18:40
Sorry, vA..not [too] clear
The pilot {Commander of the a/c] may nominate a "Responsible Person" to pass an ATD to the Parent ATSU, or the Commander may elect to contact an en-route ATSU to pass details to the Parent ATSU.
At "most" uncontrolled airfields, either the pilot closes his FPL, or "someone in the clubhouse/other environs of the a/f ring us [resposible person? perhaps]
Being brutally honest, only about 30% tell us that they have "arrived", and 40-50% do NOT pass an airborne time:mad: :ugh:
watp,iktch

vintage ATCO
23rd Feb 2007, 19:46
Sorry to labour the point, chiglet, but I don't think that is entirely right, and this is the big difference with policy in the UK, and the reason for this thread. (I am only talking here about traffic INBOUND to the UK.)

If someone abroad files into his grass strip in the UK, and nominates his mate Bob as his 'Responsible Person' and tells him he is coming then the 'parent unit' is not involved. Do they indeed get the FPL?. The aircraft arrives safely, meets Bob, and they go down the pub. There is no requirement to close the FPL - there is no concept of this in the UK.

If Bob is on holiday so that thre is no one else to nominate as a 'Responsible Person' then the pilot rings his parent unit (or, I think, he can nominate any other unit) and says 'I am going arrive at Lower Snodgrass at time xxxx.' It is then incumbent upon him to ring his parent unit after landing to 'close his FPL' otherwise SAR springs into action and mountain rescue goats are mobilised, after the required time intervals. This is the only time in the UK a pilot is required to close his FPL.

The system in the UK isn't less safe than others, just different, It's a pity we are different as it would make life easy if we were all the same but it is just the way things have evolved I guess. There are a lot less 'wilderness areas' in the UK.

Departing traffic is different, and pilots need to understand if they don't get a departure time into the system, some how, then their SAR insurance isn't activated.

Hippy
23rd Feb 2007, 21:07
- I know that if I'm crossing a FIR boundary I need to put in an EET/ for the boundary. But the internet tool refuses multiple EET/ entries for a flight to, e.g., France. Is this a limitation of the tool or not?
You should place all the estimates after a single EET/
Wrong: EET/EBBU0023 EET/EGTT0054
Correct: EET/EBBU0023 EGTT0054

BackPacker
23rd Feb 2007, 21:45
Thanks gentlemen (women?) for all your comments. I'm going to see if I can write a summary tomorrow and maybe put it up on wikipedia or something. I cannot believe I'm the only PPL who doesn't understand this... Particularly the fact that I learned things the CAA way (Responsible Person etc.), thinking that that was, in fact, the JAA/European way, and then coming back into a totally different environment had me puzzled. Who was the norm, who was the exception? This has made things a lot clearer.

chiglet
23rd Feb 2007, 22:34
vA
XXXZZ files a VFR fpl from LFOI [Abbville] to EGNE [Gamston]
Lille [LFQQZPZX] transmit said fpl to Gamston. Gamston is not on the AFTN. Fpl "defaults" to Manchester, because we are the "Parent AFTN" for ALL Stations [At home so no map, but from memory....] from the Southern edge of [the old] Airway Green One....eg Kemble to the London/Scottish FIR Boundary .....Carlisle, and from the Belfast CTR to the East Coast of England.
So IF[B] you file a Flight Plan, VFR [B]or IFR from, or to an Aerodrome within this AOR [Area Of Responsibility] Manchester PAFTN "should" get it, andfax it to the recipient Airfield
Hope this clarifies the situation
watp,iktch

vintage ATCO
24th Feb 2007, 06:16
It does but nowhere in the AIP does it say in such circumstances the pilot has to close his FPL with the Parent Unit unless he has nominated that unit as his Responsible Person. Earlier you seem to assert that is 'in order' in all cases. How would a pilot know by filing a FPL to Gamston, as per your example, the Parent Unit is involved?

I am just concerned that we are clouding the issue for people like BackPacker. AIP ENR 1-10-3 refers.

GBALU53
24th Feb 2007, 06:40
Sould the pilot not know who his parent station is when operating in the U.K.

The same systems operates in France and they are very hot if the flight plan is not closed after landing.

Ther are a number of pilots flying in and out of airfields that have no aftn and some have no ATC and all these pilots should know the importence and the reason when and why to file a plan and how it operates and to activate when airbourne also the importence to close the plan on arrival.

If you don,t know ask and learn and ATC will look after the plan and the follow up action as and when.

There is a CAC publication out on flight planning and it was three pounds sterling the last time I checked so for three pounds it save a lot of aggro when pilots don,t follow the recommended rules.

It is nice and reassuring how safe your flight can be by following the guide lines.

vintage ATCO
24th Feb 2007, 10:38
The same systems operates in France and they are very hot if the flight plan is not closed after landing.

Ther are a number of pilots flying in and out of airfields that have no aftn and some have no ATC and all these pilots should know the importence and the reason when and why to file a plan and how it operates and to activate when airbourne also the importence to close the plan on arrival.

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

This is the UK we are talking about and the system is NOT the same. I don't know why but there it is. There is no concept (with the one important exception mentiobned above) in UK ATC of closing a FPL and it just confuses matters for the original poster if people keep saying it. It's all in ENR 1.10.

BackPacker
24th Feb 2007, 10:58
Is it safe to summarize this whole discussion as follows?

In anywhere but the UK, the FPL is used as a basis to initiate a SAR op when a plane is overdue. For this purpose, a flight plan needs to be submitted (generally to a FIO which distributes it further) and opened (when leaving from a controlled field, by the tower. Otherwise it's the pilots responsibility to pass the airborne time to the first ATC unit they're in contact with, who will then open the FPL.) The FPL is then transmitted via the AFTN to the arrival A/D, who will use the airborne time and the EET to calculate the arrival time. If a plane is overdue at this arrival time (presumably +30 minutes) they will initiate SAR action. Obviously, they will first ring a few likely places where the plane might have landed, and try to contact both the owner and the pilot, before the rescue choppers actually get into the air.
For this reason, it is very important to close your flightplan, and pass on any changes to the plan (for instance diverting to an alternate). Closing is done automatically at a controlled field. At an uncontrolled field, you ask the en-route ATC unit to close the plan for you when close to the field, or telephone the FIO after arrival.

In the UK the situation is different. Flightplans are not used automatically as the basis for SAR action. Instead, the pilot has to nominate a "Responsible Person". This RP is supposed to receive both a departure and an arrival message, and is supposed to initiate a SAR action if the plane is overdue. You can nominate your friend Bob as your RP, in which case you give him a call before and after the flight. But if you nominate an ATC unit (typically a "Parent ATCO") as your RP, you need to make sure they get these messages too, either by contacting them yourself, or making sure that the FPL ARR/DEP message is sent to them.

That's for flights which are wholly contained in the UK, or fully outside the UK. What for flights into or leaving the UK? As it's the arrival airfield which normally initiate a SAR action I'd guess the following course of action is the best:

For flights inbound into the UK, ring your destination before the flight, and ask them to be the Responsible Person for your flight. If you put them as destination in the flightplan (which you would obviously do) they should be getting the DEP message through the AFTN (or fax if they're not connected). And they know you've arrived, by looking out the window.

For flights outbound from the UK, all you have to do is file a flightplan and close it upon arrival.

Any improvements, remarks, modifications?

vintage ATCO
24th Feb 2007, 11:34
Almost :) I am sorry this is becoming more confusing than it needs be.

If you file a FPL into the UK to an airfield that is on the AFTN or can receive your FPL details via another means, and most importantly, a DEP message, then they will initiate overdue action if you fail to arrive within 30 mins of ETA (and full overdue action after an hour). You don't have to 'nominate' them to do this. When you arrive at this destination you need do nothing about closing the FPL, as it is deemed 'closed on arrival'.

The problem only arises if your destination cannot receive your FPL details and be expecting you, you need to ask someone to be the Responsible Person. It is this person who needs to alert the authorities of your non-arrival and therefore needs to be told of your arrival if he or she isn't waiting for you at the airfield. If you have to ask the Parent ATC unit (or other ATC unit) to be that 'Responsible Person' then you must inform them withing 30 mins of your arrival otherwise they will commence overdue action.

Any clearer? :)

As an aside, I have been asked to close a FPL by someone who we were acting as the Responsible Person over the RT ("I'm about to land, can you close my FPL?") Just in case he crashed and burnt I asked him to ring us on landing. :) :)

GBALU53
24th Feb 2007, 13:24
Hope it is all clear to these PPL holders now and they know what to do every time they get in the air it is not only there neck on the line but could be others as well.

BackPacker
24th Feb 2007, 13:40
Vintage, just to clarify your last post:

The situation you're describing applies both to UK->UK and International->UK flights? So if you're flying to a destination within the UK which is connected to the AFTN network (presumably every controlled airport is) then your FPL, combined with a DEP message is enough to initiate overdue action? You don't need to nominate an RP, just make sure that your flight plan is opened?

So, the only time you need to nominate an RP is when flying to a non-AFTN connected destination (ie. an uncontrolled field)? If the RP is on the field then he can witness the arrival so no further action is required, other than to celebrate your landing in the pub. But if the RP is not on the field (your mate Bob stays at home, or you have used some ATC unit somewhere to act as your RP) then you give them a call. And obviously you call them after landing, not before... :-)

GBALU53: ACK but how can we force every PPL to read this thread? :-)

GBALU53
24th Feb 2007, 13:52
vintage atco

I agree you can not force but at the end of the day is it not part of gaining a PPL flight planning?

The are good train schools and instructors and there are the others do i need to go any further with that.

We have read about aircraft accidents where pilots have not activated a flight plan and crashed is that a good thing or plane stupid how can you get through to these PPL holders how immportant some things are.

We have flight transit Class A airspace crossing a very lot of water crossing an international boundary and they still have not filed a plane should there be some follow up action for some of these and PPL holders that cross the line get fined or points on the licence or some thing to get the message through it is there life but do it correctly and it will not effect others.

BackPacker
24th Feb 2007, 15:03
GBALU53, the whole FPL thing was indeed part of my training and exams. The unit "The Full Flight Plan" is eight whole pages. Of these eight pages, two are "unit preamble" pages which contain no useful information whatsoever. Two pages (one of which is a map of the UK showing the difficult areas) cover WHEN you're required, urged and allowed to file a flight plan. Two pages cover the FPL itself, with the fields that need to be filled in, one page is revision answers. That leaves only one page to discuss HOW to file a flight plan, and what happens afterwards, including how a SAR operation gets started. I just read throught this page again, and nowhere does it mention the fact that the whole Responsible Person thing is strictly a UK thing.

Now consider the fact that the total stack of study books is over 10 cm. That I did my theory exams according to the CAA syllabus, had my practical flight training in the US, and fly in NL now. But even if you trained and flew exclusively in the UK I think you can get a PPL without ever having to fill in the ICAO form. Particularly if the school you flew with operated from an uncontrolled field, and the school dispatcher automatically assumed the role of RP for all flights.

I'd like to do this by the book, if only for my own safety, but unfortunately the books were not very clear in this case. That's why I came to this forum.

vintage ATCO
24th Feb 2007, 15:30
BackPacker: Spot on. :ok:

GBALU53: Sorry, not sure I understand your last post. All I am trying to do is answer BackPacker's question as it applies in the UK.

BackPacker
24th Feb 2007, 16:44
Okay, trying yet another summary....

The FPL is generally used as a basis to initiate a SAR op when a plane is overdue. For this purpose, a flight plan needs to be submitted and opened/activated. The FPL is then transmitted via the AFTN to the arrival A/D, who will use the airborne time and the EET to calculate the arrival time. If a plane is more than 30 minutes overdue at this arrival time they will initiate SAR action. Obviously, they will first ring a few likely places where the plane might have landed, and try to contact both the owner and the pilot, before the rescue choppers actually get into the air. To prevent SAR action, it is very important to close your flightplan, and to pass on any changes to the plan, for instance a revised ETA or diverting to an alternate.

Submitting a flight plan: Flight plans are submitted to ATC units that are ready to accept them. This can be done by internet, fax and sometimes by telephone as well. Consult your countries AIP to see how and where you can submit a flight plan. Typically, your local airfield staff (be it uncontrolled or controlled) will be able to help you out. Changing a flight plan before flight, or cancelling a flight plan before the flight takes place is handled in the same way.

Opening (activating) a flight plan: Flight plans are opened by the tower on a controlled airfield. As pilot, you don't need to worry about this. On uncontrolled fields, the responsibility to open a flight plan lies with the pilot. There are two ways of getting the flight plan opened in this case: You can nominate a "Responsible Person" at your departure airfield to phone your departure to a "Parent ATSU" (this is only done in the UK), you can ask the information or A/G service on the airfield to phone the coordinating ATC unit, or you can ask the first en-route ATC unit that you talk to to open the plan for you. In both cases, you are required to pass on the Actual Time of Departure (ATD).

Chaninging a flight plan en-route is generally handled by the en-route ATC unit you're talking to.

Closing a flight plan is automatically and implicitly done when you arrive at your destination, provided that your destination is a controlled airfield. If your destination is an uncontrolled field however, there are several options, and the situation in the UK is different from the situation elsewhere in Europe:

In continental Europe and in Ireland, it is the pilots responsibility to close the flight plan explicitly. This can be done while still in the air by contacting an en-route ATC unit when you are close to your destination and ask them to close the plan, or by phoning a Flight Information Office within 30 minutes after landing. Your countries AIP will have the details on who to call, and the destination airfield might have an information or A/G service which can help you out as well.

In the UK, if you fly to an uncontrolled airfield, the flightplan is also not formally closed automagically. In fact, the UK doesn't have a concept of "closing a flightplan". Because of this, if you fly to an uncontrolled airfield, your flight plan is not used as a basis to initiate a SAR action. Instead, the UK uses the concept of Responsible Person again. This RP is supposed to receive both a departure and an arrival message, and is supposed to initiate a SAR action if the plane is overdue. You can nominate your friend Bob as your RP, in which case you give him a call before and after the flight. But you can also ask (by phone, before the flight) an ATC unit (typically a "Parent ATCO") as your RP for the flight. In this case you need to give them a phonecall within 30 minutes after landing to notify them of your safe arrival (and thank them for their services). Generally you do not need to inform a Parent ATCO of your departure, since they will automatically receive a DEP message through the AFTN - provided that you picked the right Parent ATCO of course (the one which has Parent ATCO responsibility for your destination).

Note - I have assumed here that all controlled airfields are somehow connected to the AFTN, and all uncontrolled airfields are not. That's not necessarily true however, but as a pilot, it's going to be very hard for me to find out whether a field is properly connected or not. But I do know whether a field is controlled or not. If in doubt, call your destination beforehand!

Better???

vintage ATCO
24th Feb 2007, 17:13
I think . . :confused: Maybe . . :uhoh: Sort of . . . :eek: Yes . . :8 :ok:

On the other hand . . . :E

BackPacker
24th Feb 2007, 18:10
ROFLLMAO

You sure exhausted a weeks supply of smileys there!