PDA

View Full Version : FI Bible?

2close
20th Feb 2007, 21:11
Hi troops,

I'm looking to start the FI(R) course very shortly, subject to final ATPL exam results on Thursday - mammy!!!!

Any suggested reading that I can get my head into now?

I have the option of training on the C-152 or PA28. I have my own views on which would be better (apart from the financial reasons) but I would be very interested to glean your opinions.

Cheers,

2close

combineharvester
20th Feb 2007, 23:29
Flight Instructors Manual, RD Campbell.

Excellent material, especially for the long brief part of the FI test

I would consider the choice of aeroplane for the course to bear heavily on the one you are most likely to be teaching on at the end of the course. That said i did my FI course on the C152, now after 200 hrs instructing on that i now teach on the PA28. Only other issue to bear in mind is that there is a Spin test either as part of the main FI test, or this can be done prior to test (with an FIE) If you did the course and test on the C152 then it would save the hassle ofhaving to book 2 aircraft for the test day. (Assuming you refer to the PA28-161, as this cannot be spun, the PA28-140 Cherokee can, IF you can get the CoG in the right place!!) I found the C152 a fun little machine to instruct on, and learn in, even if the cockpit is at best "intimate".

Best of luck either way, its probably the most enjoyable and fulfilling course you are likely to undertake in professional aviation

Hope this helps

ch

BEagle
21st Feb 2007, 05:58
Try http://www.ontrackaviation.com/book.htm

More up-to-date than the Campbell classic!

LFS
21st Feb 2007, 06:27
The Pooley's pre flight briefing flip book is a very useful refrence for the course as well.

2close
21st Feb 2007, 12:15
Thanks for the replies,

I take it the RD Campbell book is absolutely fine.

Is the very hefty price tag of the On Track publication justified - I note that it covers several more advanced areas - or would the RDC book suffice for someone just starting off?

Thanks again,

2close

hugh flung_dung
21st Feb 2007, 12:39
The Campbell book is certainly good, and I found it useful when I did my AFI course.
I agree with BEagle about the ontrack manual but, if your FIC instructor is ex-CFS it's likely that their style and handouts will be very similar to the Ontrack book.
Why not ask your FIC instructor what he/she recommends?

HFD

VFE
21st Feb 2007, 16:00
I had the Ron Campbell book too. Fully comprehensive, although it did get messed up by the CAA editing team when it was originally submitted, but contains all you need to know and more...

VFE.

S-Works
21st Feb 2007, 18:09
I think the ontrack one is well justified. I actually got mine included with the course and found it very usefull. The guys at Ontrack really know their stuff and the manual eflects it.

Gugnunc
21st Feb 2007, 19:37
I got the Campbell book from the library (put a card in, costs you £1) and then took the FIC with OnTrack, so got their manual as part of the course.

The OnTrack manual is excellent and I use it for all my board briefs and refer back every so often now I'm actually working. Well worth the money even if you don't do the FIC with them.

The Campbell book is very thorough, but perhaps too much, a bit too dry to try and digest after a day on the FIC course.

pilgrim flyer
23rd Feb 2007, 02:44
The examiner who did my FI gave me one of those Pooleys briefing folders.
Very useful it is too.

The same examiner spun the Warrior I did my test in, so they definately can. Whether they should is a different matter....

PF

VFE
23rd Feb 2007, 09:03
Every training aircraft has a legal requirement to recover after one revolution of a spin otherwise it won't get a CoA. I have heard of guys spinning warriors but IMHO it's rather foolhardy as there are no CoG guidelines owing to the fact it isn't rated for spinning. They never tested it beyond the one revolution during testing so you have to ask yourself why they didn't go further. It might be all safe and sound but then again.... and of course, you've got no legal backup should anything backfire and before anyone says "who cares when you're dead".... I know someone who survived a spin in a warrior and got dragged through the courts backwards by his crippled student.

VFE.

Pugilistic Animus
8th Mar 2007, 00:24
well, not for actually taking the exam perhaps, but for explaining stuff to students Wolfgang Langwiesche's Stick and Rudder. never a trouble with adverse yaw again in the air or on the ground

and many of the FAA's handbooks on flying and flight are [practically] useful for actual instructing---as opposed to looking good to the highly experienced and knowledgeable examiner

NorthSouth
8th Mar 2007, 16:07
I think the Campbell book's dreadful. Turgid, tedious, badly laid out, not enough and not clear enough diagrams, hugely verbose, heavily influenced by 1950s RAF attitudes, too big and not bound well enough.

If you want free stuff try:

http://www.caa.govt.nz/pilots/Instructors/NZFIG_Rev1_compiled.pdf

and

http://www.casa.gov.au/aoc/training/guides/fim.htm

Both good, but the NZ one's better cos it has diagrams.

NS

2close
9th Mar 2007, 20:40
Thanks for all the feedback, troops.

Much appreciated.

As it is, I've decided to go with On Track and start shortly so it looks like I'll get my manual.

Cheers,

2close

Jinkster
17th Mar 2007, 21:10
I have the Campbells manual and tempted to stick it on ebay as I have finished instructing.

Whirlybird
17th Mar 2007, 22:02
Hey, Jinkster - what ya doin' now then? Tell me!

Jinkster
18th Mar 2007, 22:40
Flying a 737-800 to destinations 100nm from the normal airports! ;)