PDA

View Full Version : Which path?- Pro's and Cons

EGMC
17th Feb 2007, 23:01
I'm a wanaB ATCO.

I'm interested in reading about how people made the choice between Area and Aerodrome :confused: . [I know its USUALY up to NATS, and asked in the 3 month intro stage]. I have visited Southend [non NATS], & I'll visit Stansted on the 24th and soon after LACC.

I appreciate that most people will think that they have the best job, but i want to know WHY, or why you think you WOULDN'T like the other jobs.

Am I correct in my basic understanding that Area have a shorter course, get paid more and have greater flexibility in leave-scheduling, the ratio of allocation is 4:1, and Aerodrome have on average a more diverse airspace with diverse aircraft.

As a side note, can you please add what it is you usually do in the half hour downtime [I understand you are required to take 30 min off for every 90min on]. I dont wanna intrude on anyone's personal choice but a general idea [such as / study :8 / file :yuk: / clean :confused: / "get the tea in" :ok: / nap:zzz: etc] would be appreciated.

Gonzo
17th Feb 2007, 23:35
EGMC,

The 30 minutes break, when a junior ATCO at my unit, is usually passed by going over to Terminal 2 Costa Coffee, or the Bus Station Cafe Nero, with colleagues, or watching TV/reading the papers in the restroom.

Personally I do paperwork/write reports/read and answer emails/read and comment on unit incident reports etc etc etc. I consider it a good day if I get two 30 minute breaks free during a shift.

As to choosing, I have far too many choice remarks about why you should choose Tower rather than condemn yourself to sitting in front of a radar for your career to give any one of them voice.:p

Seriously, though, I like looking at, and being around, aeroplanes. Also, if I wanted to be an area ATCO I can buy a computer game for that. :E

One tower unit gets paid more than those area guys!;)

Tarq57
18th Feb 2007, 04:10
I've done both Area and Tower, although in NZ, where it's a bit different. Currently doing tower. Will keep doing tower until they cart me away. Area (and its more extreme cousin, oceanic) is mainly (in NZ anyway) a more strategic sort of approach, where you tend to spend time planning in advance little steps you can take now to avoid too many hassles 5 or 10 minutes down the track. Area procedural I found particularly rewarding, especially when it was busy, which would probably be considered light or moderate in the UK.
I found myself more inclined to react in real time as traffic situations unfolded, and like the challenge of cobbling together a plan on short notice, which is why for me, tower wins hands down. Also seeing the aircraft out the window, and watching them react in real time to instructions makes it a no brainer for me.
It was good to be able to get the comparison and try both jobs before deciding. If you have that option, it would be best.

Defruiter
18th Feb 2007, 08:08
The area course at the college is longer than Aerodrome/Approach.

Aerodrome/Approach = 3 months
Area = 6 months (2, 3 month courses)

Regards,

DF

anotherthing
18th Feb 2007, 09:10
EGMC

I have only ever done area in NATS, but have done tower/App/Area in the military.

In Short:

If you want to see the aircraft you speak to, Twr is the way ahead.

Personally I love area control, especially in the LTMA.

Paywise, heathrow tower gets the same money as LACC, LTCC and Hurn - the highest paid NATS units.

Diversity of airspace - not applicable unless you go to a tower unit that does it's own approach function as well.

Area course is longer than Twr.

I personally would not like working at a tower that was tower only (i.e. no radar), however, some poeple enjoy it - see Gonzo.

I worked at a really busy military airfield that had an area radar function as well - I would only go back to a tower environment that had a self contained approach function, and that had a good mixture of traffic i.e. busy commercial as well as circuit traffic and helos - I personally would be bored with tower otherwise.

At the end of the day - get your foot in the NATS door first, however, the more visits you can get to different units, the more enlightened you will become as to which discipline you may prefer.

A lot of ATCOs have done a variety of controlling, and come up with their own preferences - mine is Area (terminal) control, though I think I would be bored with en route (which is more strategic planning).

Good luck with the application - whichever job you do will be fulfilling.

smellysnelly2004
18th Feb 2007, 11:01
Apologies for the thread drift but I've a quickie for DF

Is the area course 6 months in total, or 6 months after the basic course??

Cheers

SACrIGGER
18th Feb 2007, 11:25
Basic course- 3 months

Aerodrome - 3 months

Approach- 3 months

Area Foundation- 3 months
Area Advanced- 3 months.

Everyone does the basic course, then after that it all depends on what disicpline you are selected for.

If you go area, then its a further 2, 3 months courses
If a London airport (aerodrome only) then its just the 3 month aerodrome course, but if you go to a regional airport, EGPD EGBB etc you will be required to have both an aerodrome and approach ticket.

And if you just go approach, then its just a 3 month approach course.

So the shortest time you will be at the college (as long as you pass basic!) will be 6 months (give or take a week here or there for leave).

Defruiter
18th Feb 2007, 13:24
What he said :p

I'm lucky in that respect, and as long as I pass this course I'm on now, I will be in and out of the college in just 6 months ;)

Ppdude
18th Feb 2007, 16:13
Area/Tower.....quite simple, with Nats you won't get a choice so stop worrying about it and enjoy wherever the fimble way takes you

Loki
18th Feb 2007, 16:18
Like the man says, apply for an aerodrome route if you really want to, but go with the flow if things don`t turn out that way.

I`ve done both aerodrome/ approach and area work....loved my time at an airfield, but found area work just as rewarding.

chevvron
19th Feb 2007, 08:52
Sounds to me like those highly paid Band 5 ATCOs at the College are doing less and less and leaving it to poorer Band 1,2 & 3 ATCOs at airfields to do their job for them.