PDA

View Full Version : Crew blamed for Russian crash

flyboy2
17th Feb 2007, 14:57
Can one believe this?
2007-2-17 14:50
Moscow - A pilot-in-training who failed to maintain a Russian passenger jet's speed was partly to blame for the jet slamming into a Ukrainian field last year, killing all 170 on board, a Russian transport commission said on Saturday.
The Pulkovo Airlines Tu-154 was returning to St Petersburg from the Black Sea when it went down near the southeastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk.
Its crew had sent distress signals as a storm raged in the area.
The Interstate Aviation Committee said in a report that the pilots were inadequately prepared for flying in the stormy conditions and could not manoeuvre the plane through the storm.
The commission also said that the training instructions for the plane contained no appropriate guidance for flying under the conditions.
Alexei Morozov, an investigator for the commission, said a pilot-in-training was at the controls at the time of the incident and the more experienced pilot had not assisted him.
"A lack of control over the aircraft's speed was one of the factors that led to the catastrophic situation and it was the second pilot who was responsible for overseeing (this)," Morozov said in televised comments.
The aging model Tu-134 and Tu-154 aircraft would be phased out of civilian use in the next five years, transport minister Igor Levitin was quoted as saying by Russian news agencies.
The crash was one of three major air disasters involving a Russian airline or airport in 2006.
Source:- http://www.24.com/news/?p=tsa&i=423410

barit1
18th Feb 2007, 15:22
See this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3123780&postcount=86)and associated posts. :uhoh:

Clandestino
18th Feb 2007, 15:43
Tu-154 doesnīt have wing load greater than western airliners and isnīt less stable. What it sadly lacks is stick-pusher.

You know, journalists are not aerospace professionals so itīs possible that in condensing press conference into four sentences some omissions were made and mr. Morozov statement was somewhat distorted. However I have no problem in believing that the plane was lost while crew tried too hard to jump over the CB and stalled it. Kinda reminds me of Pinnacle disaster.

fox niner
18th Feb 2007, 15:59
Actually, I find it quite plausible that the Russian investigative body comes to such conclusions.

The real cause of the accident has nothing to do with this.

AN2 Driver
18th Feb 2007, 22:07
F9,

care to elaborate?

As I understand it, they tried to overfly the storm, super stalled it and got into a flat spin from which they did not recover? Or do you have other information?