PDA

View Full Version : Atca

Cumulogranite
16th Feb 2007, 06:43
Hi All
I am looking for a little help, certainly more help than the the NATS HR anyway. I am fed up in my job and fancy some new horizons, sadly I didn't bother with A levels at school so an ATCO job is out, but I know that there are ATCA jobs out there, so does anyone know (because HR dont) if there are any assistant jobs at Manchester of Liverpool coming up. If so, what are the T&C's like and who would I need to call?

Hope you can help
Cheers
CG

Gonzo
16th Feb 2007, 06:57
That's odd, I have no idea why NATS HR wouldn't know anything about possible vacancies at Liverpool.

Perhaps a little research on your part will go a long way? Show some of that initiative that is essential to be a good AT(S/C)A/ATCO. Within ten seconds of reading your post I had found a list of current vacancies at Liverpool airport.:ok:

Cumulogranite
16th Feb 2007, 09:30
Thanks for that Gonzo, nothing like being flamed first time out eh? I did have a look on LJL web site, but on closer inspection you might notice that my post says "coming up" Surely they wont advertise until they know there is a vacancy? I contacted NATS HR about ATCA positions and got a load of guff back about full ATCO roles, that I already know I am not qualified for, hence why I decided to ask the question of those that might know something in here.
Thanks

MancBoy
16th Feb 2007, 09:43
I think what Gonzo is saying is that, as NATS have cock all to do with Liverpool , NATS HR would have no idea about vacancies there!

Gonzo
16th Feb 2007, 10:16
CG,

Firstly, if you think that was a flame, then you don't get out much! :}

Secondly, what you want to ascertain can be done very easily. You say you looked at the Liverpool airport site. Good, so then you'll also have seen the organisational chart http://www.liverpooljohnlennonairport.com/show_image.php?file_id=461, which will give you an idea of the sort of person who might be aware of upcoming ATCA vacancies. And using the same website, you could find out the general enquiries telephone number. And then you could phone that number, and ask to be given the contact details of said person.

However, I'd imagine, looking at their recruitment policy of not holding on to CVs etc, that the answer unfortunately just might be: "Wait for the post to be advertised". Nothing lost by asking though, of course.

Yes, sorry, my sarcasm is lost on some. NATS have nothing to do with Liverpool airport (again, ten minutes of research at http://www.nats.co.uk (http://www.nats.co.uk/)) would have told you that). With regard to NATS ATSA (for in NATS they are called ATSA, not ATCA) vacancies, NATS HR would only know of vacancies if they have been informed of such by the units, so you need to get in touch with NATS units directly, using much the same method.

Apologies of you took offence, that was not my intention. On this board we are faced with regular posts from hopefuls who want everything done for them.

Ppdude
16th Feb 2007, 12:27
Why don't you just take your 'A' Levels,(I may be wrong but I think that you can complete them in one year at some colleges?) Then you can apply to NATS as an ATCO and start the college in 1 year and 4 weeks from now!

niknak
17th Feb 2007, 19:38
Good advice from Ppdue re doing the A levels, but make sure they are in the right subjects.

You don't necessarily have to have A levels to become an ATCA, but it helps. Many non NATS units put their own staff forward for ATCO training, but the suitability tests are pretty rigorous and usually more suited to someone with a further education of the A level type.

That said, Gonzo is right - if you don't do your research properly you'll be found out at the first hurdle in any interview, especially at non NATS Airports as they rarely ask you to undertake all the NATS type tests prior to talking to you face to face.

Good luck anyway.

18th Feb 2007, 13:10
Having said all that, NATS very very rarely will recruit ATSAs from outwith the company. With the regular flow of failed trainee controllers and MSG type grades, there is usually someone floating about who already has a relatively more complete knowledge of ATM and NATS.

My advice would be to either focus on non-NATS units for the experience, or look into doing a couple of 'A' levels or equivalent.. This could something like BTECs, NVQs or GNVQs. Also remember that NATS don't lay down any subject requirements on these at all.

I remember seeing a presentation from a NATS recruitment/HR type buff, and they were stating that at the end of the line validation rates didn't reflect on the individuals qualifications past GCSE level. Remember, all they are looking for is an aptitude towards bookwork, the real test comes in the formal aptitude testing and interviews.