PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Training

Johnny_56
16th Feb 2007, 00:05
G'day all,

I'm getting to the stage of looking at doing my instrument rating. Just wondering if anyone has had any good/bad experiences with their instument ratining training, and if anyone knows of operators who use/can use a baron or C310 for part of the training.

Cheers

Aussie
16th Feb 2007, 00:15
Yeah, try Air South in Adelaide and Johnsons aviation in Port Macquarie... both use Barons!

Aussie

JimmyReeves
16th Feb 2007, 01:45
Johnson Aviation are efficient, quick, cost effective and use Barons. Not many girls in Port Mac though.

ForkTailedDrKiller
16th Feb 2007, 02:03
I have only had good experiences with Bob Harris in Innisfail. He uses a Duchess for training, but in my experience if you can fly the Duchess well, then the Baron/C310 is a non-event. The Duchess handles like a Baron that hasn't been to the gym for a while.

Bob is highly experienced and a great bloke to fly with.

FTDC:cool:

morno
16th Feb 2007, 02:03
Not many girls in Port Mac though

Huh!!?? :eek::eek:

Was when I was living there.

Yon Garde
16th Feb 2007, 02:54
Don't get sucked into using a substandard instructor/ school because they use a baron/ 310/ or anything else for that matter (I am not refering to any school listed in this thread). The aircraft that you did the CIR matters very little after 6 months but the quality (or lack thereof) of the training will stay with you for a long time.

This is particularly important these days as people seem to be getting airline interviews and sim checks with less and less experience and therefore less time to gain experience to make up for poor training. I have flown with many people in the simulator over the past few years who are about to have a sim check with airline x,y, or z and felt sorry for the poor bugger as it was clear they didn't have a chance due to poor scan TECHNIQUE and poor procedural knowledge or advice. You shudder at the amount of people that use old wives tales and gimmicks to fly approaches or holding patterns "because that's how my instructor told me" even though it's all written quite clearly in the AIP.

The problem is mostly due to instructors teaching CIR who only got their own ratings a year ago themselves and have not actually used the rating in a variety of different conditions.

For what it's worth, my advice is go to a school that can provide an instructor with significant IFR experience and well as a comprehensive sim syllabus. The synthetic trainer, if used properly will not only save you a fortune, but if it is a good one, teach you things you can't safely do in an aeroplane. Organisations like this are few and far between.

When you get a letter from QF/ VB/ JQ or anyone else telling you that you failed the sim ride you won't care about those 20 hrs in a B58 of C310 as opposed to a "girly" B76 or PA44! Good luck.

Yon Garde
16th Feb 2007, 02:59
ps.... most people that publicly recommend a school on Prune work for or own the said organisation:} :} :} :}

ForkTailedDrKiller
16th Feb 2007, 04:46
I have no affiliation with the organisation I mentioned above. I have however done my last 5 or 6 IR renewals there and I am a satisfied customer.

FTDK:cool:

Aussie
16th Feb 2007, 04:54
Yeah likewise, have nothing to do with either of the mentioned schools.

Good luck!

maxgrad
16th Feb 2007, 14:19
Agree with Yon G
If you get average training you will be average in IMC, Sims are a great way to work out the bugs, used prior and during actual flight training sorties will improve your skills.

scrambler
16th Feb 2007, 19:05
Agree with Yon G
This subject keeps coming up.
Perth - Ad Astral
Mel - Bini's

AerocatS2A
17th Feb 2007, 15:08
The girls are all either too young or too old. Not that that stopped one of my colleagues in training... :} .