PDA

View Full Version : IMC Rating Training

S-Works
15th Feb 2007, 20:49
Can anyone confirm (Beagle?) that the IMC course can be taught from an unlicenced airfield? I am sure I was taught during my course that this was this case and most people I have talked to seem to agree yet today I was categorically assured by a flying school owner that I was wrong. They did also argue that class ratings also had to be taught from a licenced airfield.

So I wanted to check!

Islander2
15th Feb 2007, 21:22
bose-X

ANO Article 126 and Schedule 8.

Instruction in flying for the purpose of becoming qualified for the inclusion of an IMC rating in a licence does NOT need to be carried out from a licensed (or Government) aerodrome. Instruction for the inclusion of an aircraft rating does, however.

S-Works
15th Feb 2007, 21:30
Ok that was i understood thanks for that. Can you clarify on the aircraft rating?

I was taught, Tailwheel, Wobbly Prop, Retract, Turbo etc i.e differences training did not require a licenced airfield. If I teach an MEP it has to be licenced and through an approved FTO as does an IR or a type rating.

Islander2
15th Feb 2007, 21:39
Aircraft rating per Schedule 8 embraces type and class ratings but not differences training.

Not sure why you think IR training has to be carried out from a licensed airfield, aside that is from the obvious practical considerations! Article 126 does not require it (although it does for night rating instruction).

S-Works
15th Feb 2007, 21:42
I was of the understanding that the IR had to be taught from an approved FTO from a licenced airfield or have I confused the issue with the fact that an FTO is unlikely to be based from an unlicenced airfield?

Thanks for the reply on the other stuff. Now I have references for facts that I can print out.

Allthough as those "discussing" with me seem to be tracking my questions on here they can print out the bits they need themselves!!!

chrisbl
15th Feb 2007, 21:47
Ab-initio training has to be carried out from a licenced airfield, so in this case I believe an IMC rating can be done from an unlicenced field.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_11.PDF

scroll to para 1.3.4

Islander2
15th Feb 2007, 21:57
I was of the understanding that the IR had to be taught from an approved FTO from a licenced airfield or have I confused the issue with the fact that an FTO is unlikely to be based from an unlicenced airfield?The question, presumably, is: "regardless of where the FTO is based, can they collect an IR student from an unlicensed airfield and commence the IR training from that unlicensed airfield?" I see nothing in the ANO that prevents that, but doubtless Beagle will set us straight!

BEagle
16th Feb 2007, 06:44
IR training is out of my league, fortunately.

The UK IMC rating can be conducted from an unlicensed aerodrome, as far as I'm aware. But aircraft class or type rating training must be carried out from a licensed or government aerodrome at either a RF or FTO as required by the training being given.

'Differences training' may also be conducted from unlicensed aerodromes, to my understanding.

Note that training for NPPL SSEA ratings; whether ab-initio or conversion from Microlight or SLMG ratings must also be conducted from a licensed or government aerodrome. Hopefully this may well change in a year or so.

The next version of the NPPL cross-credit document will probably use the term 'conversion training' to distinguish between ANO-specified 'differences training' and that training required to add other NPPL aircraft Class Ratings to existing NPPLs.

S-Works
16th Feb 2007, 15:51
OK had it confirmed in writing from the CAA Policy Group. IMC training CAN BE carried out from an unlicenced airfield. Appropriate briefing and flight planning facilities need to be available (reccomendation) but otherwise all fine.
All difference training can also be done from the same.
MEP has to be done via an FTO as do type ratings.
So an Instructor can teach IMC and differences from an unlicenced field.