PDA

View Full Version : JAA/FAA FI ratings

Son of the Bottle
12th Feb 2007, 17:29
Hello, I'm looking for help and advice with regards to gaining and maintaining an FI rating in both the JAA and FAA regimes.

My situation is this: I have a JAA CPL (no IR attached) and want to get a FI rating in order to do some part time instructing in addition to my day job. My problem is that my employer will shortly (in the next 4-6 months) be transferring me to the US for a period of time, as yet undefined, probably in excess of two years.

Does anybody here have any ideas or advice about where I should complete this FI course? Would it be better for me to do the FI in the UK and then convert in the US or to wait and complete an FAA course and then convert back home when I return?

More importantly perhaps, will my JAA CPL enable me to start an FAA FI course or would I have to complete a US CPL in addition to my current rating?
Will instructing part-time screw up my visa status?

That's a lot of questions, I know, but I'm really confused and not really sure where I should look for more information.

If anyone has done something similar, I would appreciate any advice that you might have.

Cheers,
BF

Whopity
15th Feb 2007, 07:04
You can add a FI rating to your JAA licence either by doing a FI course in the UK or in some parts of the US, less schools there than there were. There may not be much chance of using it in the US but you'll have it for return to the UK.

The FAA system is entirely different and as far as I know you will need a FAA CPL/IR before you can add a CFI rating. May be an opportunity to gain another qualification, people are always looking for BFRs in the UK.

While you're doing it: Keep off the bottle old son!

rudestuff
18th Feb 2007, 07:39
I'd wait until you're over there, then go for your FAA CPL - its harder than JAA standard but flight training is MUCH cheaper - then get IR and CFI, teach for a bit over there and you'll probably never need an FI...

Lightning_Boy
25th Feb 2007, 22:00
You will need to get clearence before even being able to fly in the US. You can get a FAA PPL off your JAA licence, but will then need to get a FAA CPL, which will require flight and ground training. Don't think you need the IR in order to become a CFI (only if you want the CFII) Then a CFI course, flight training and two ground exams as well as one oral exam (dont want to put you off but my CPL oral exam was about 4 hours and my CFI oral lasted about 7 hours (with coffee breaks inbetween). Worth doing the IR and CFII as this gets you lots more work. On return to the UK, you can do a reduced course for the JAA FI which enables you to do 30 hours of ground and 15 hours of flight before the LST. This is the way I did it, however I'm a fling wing guy, but I'm guessing its the same for the planks!

Hope this helps

LB :ok:

Son of the Bottle
26th Feb 2007, 16:43
Thanks for the replies, I already have a FAA PPL based on my JAA certificate, so hopefully that won't be a problem. Hopefully, this will be easier than dealing with my pension!

BF

(I didn't realise that there was a Welsh part of Aberdeen!)

SD.
27th Feb 2007, 08:12
Couple of things I've seen in the topic so far.....

-You'll need a FAA IR before the CFI.

-Also, if you are looking to add an IR and CPL on your FAA PPL based on the JAA then you'll need a new valid letter of authenticity (must be less than 6 months old) from the CAA.

Hope this helps.

Duchess_Driver
27th Feb 2007, 17:18
"-Also, if you are looking to add an IR and CPL on your FAA PPL based on the JAA then you'll need a new valid letter of authenticity (must be less than 6 months old) from the CAA."

Or alternatively, you can just have a full unrestricted FAA certificate issued by doing a skills test with the school you'd be attending. It's a good starting point as they get to see you and, more important, you get to see them. Check it out first though with whoever you're heading to school with.

Think it's already been mentioned, but check out with the TSA regarding foreign nationals and flight training - not sure about the rules for foreigners already green-carded or with residency rights.