PDA

View Full Version : ETIHAD AIRWAYS New salary

saly4
12th Feb 2007, 12:59
Any news about the new salary in EY:confused:

Gold Falcon
13th Feb 2007, 09:50
In the long run it could be better to have higher basic pay and less dependance on variable allowance. Gratuity, salary during leave and bonuses are paid based on basic salary alone. On an average of 12 months, the take home could be better than the current pay arrangement, though bigger quantum of increase would be much2 more desirable.

Dune
13th Feb 2007, 10:55
Gold Falcon:

You are exactly right and that is why they are not doing it. Same at EK.

Emirates is parading around a so called 18% pay raise but in reality it is substantially less than that. A 6% increase on the basic scales and for the first time an introduction of flight pay (45 dhs/hr Captain, 35 dhs/hr F/O) to avoid added costs to fund the provident fund, annual bonus, etc.

Just another beancounter way of reducing the T & C's of the aircrew......better than nothing but certainly not as good as a true 18% increase in the scales.

Firbolgs
15th Feb 2007, 20:57
:confused:

Well having sat in the pilots meeting today I understood that a pay rise and other improvements were coming and the final figures would be announced shortly!....I was quite impressed with what I heard, the guy is aware of where the problems are...now we have had the words lets see the action.

I think that just maybe this guy can put it all together...lets give it a chance

Ferdinand
15th Feb 2007, 21:00
Apperently it was also mentioned that after the last deliveries there is going to be no expansion till 2010.

h-f-radio
16th Feb 2007, 14:44
I think only slight change to the overall salary, not more than 1000 dhs

noflare
16th Feb 2007, 17:05
It would seem that our buddies up the road in GF think that they have a divine right to slip into EY....was any promise made?...or just wishful thinking!

The ex GT guys are already in AUH but then does that make them anymore employable than outsiders?....

It would seem to be a political hot potatoe which no one wishes to address...if there is no hope then shouldnt these guys be told so they can get on with planning their career...:confused:

cameltoe2006
18th Feb 2007, 03:27
Air Arabia, in its bid to be at par with other carriers in the Gulf area and perhaps sensing stiff competition with the likes of EK and EY in recruiting A320 rated pilots to its fold, recently introduced major improvements in the compensation package.

Now AA pilots are receiving almost equal with their counterparts in EY, which is quite uncanny since the latter is a major airline that prides itself as being the national carrier with such hotel-like, luxurious cabins. No wonder EY jocks are leaving in droves.

Low cost versus a major carrier? Figure the difference, if there is any at all...

EasyGo-Lucky?
18th Feb 2007, 03:35
No wonder EY jocks are leaving in droves.

On average 1.6 pilots leave a month and that is a drove??

Just where do you get this camel crap information from?

That figure does not include those fired for being drunk on duty etc.

cameltoe2006
18th Feb 2007, 04:37
Just where do you get this camel crap information from?

Whereelse but PPRUNE, dude! While this is a rumor network, there is somehow an iota of truth behind all the gossips here. It would be safe to surmise that the postings here only reflect the true sentiments of the disgruntled many and the happy few. Sorry dude, but that is just how I see it.

EasyGo-Lucky?
18th Feb 2007, 05:25
If you look back into the Etihad posts you'll find 2 such disgruntled people who seemed to have endless amounts of time to negatively comment about Etihad. Only problem was it was discovered neither of them did or had ever worked for Etihad.

To summise watch out for those who may have failed their Etihad assessment and yes the happy few are indeed too busy to usually comment here whilst we are out with our families making the best of our lives here and actually enjoying it.

cameltoe2006
18th Feb 2007, 05:38
Okay, dude. You seem quite happy being with EY, and so I rest my case. I only made such comparisons between the pay of a low cost and a major and never meant to deride anybody from your lot. So cheers, buddy!

MAXMEDLO
18th Feb 2007, 16:42
Well cameltoe ,the comparison your making in not far from true you know, we at Jazeera just got a significant pay rise, approx 2500$ for captains and approx 2000$ for first officers, the difference between low cost and legacy carriers is now minimal if you compare the overall package.

What’s amazing is that a small company like Jazeera has the tendency to react to the pilot population once they try to pass info to the management, while other big companies hardly ever listen nevertheless react, no wonder low-cost companies flourish faster then legacy companies.

MML

csek
18th Feb 2007, 20:00
Firblogs I was quite impressed with what I heard, the guy is aware of where the problems are...now we have had the words lets see the action. I think that just maybe this guy can put it all together...lets give it a chance

And I especially liked the bit where the guy said "I will not tolerate bullying at work"

Firblogs no offence but "wake up!!!":ugh: :{ :rolleyes: :mad:

cameltoe2006
19th Feb 2007, 02:24
Spot on, Maxmedlo. Sans all the glamour and prestige, more often than not LCC pilots end up getting more than their counterparts flying in the majors. Low cost or major, the problems will always be there. But in these times of uncertainties, what matters most is who ends up with a bigger and fatter account at the end of the day.

GTR-34
19th Feb 2007, 03:30
I think a lot of guys are more demoralized..lotsa people are expecting a better pay package. Already heard of some friends looking elsewhere in the east. Commanders are in better positions coz they are more "marketable" while the F/o s will probably have to wait it out.:sad: EY seems to have started with a wrong setup and a charter mentality with a very big appetite to be the best...unfortunately the idea doesn't mix too well..
Its surprising that the upper management doesn't seem to worried too much about crewing the 10 330/340 arriving this year. Seems like more **** to come in the near future when they are short of crew and take in low hours DEC and pisses of more F/Os and then it'll truly be a big big mess!:sad:

camelbird
19th Feb 2007, 17:54
Already some of the Bus and Boeing guys are looking at Jet in India.
If you think EY does not have enough pilots, just you wait when those guys leave. JH made alot of promises but the proof is in the pudding.:ugh:

Zick
19th Feb 2007, 18:19
Camelbird,

how can you say not enough, we don't even know what the new package is. The only hard fact we have is the introduction of a layover allowance as per 1st of february, and the promise to have more news by the end of the month.

I can only agree that we are not enough pilots, but give the guys a chance. He will maybe get it right, or we will all start looking for jobs elsewhere, as we don't need to go far away in the region to get a better pay.

Maybe...we wil see. Inshalah

Zick

camelbird
21st Feb 2007, 03:33
Zick,

No where in the statement did i say that the new package was not enough, only not enough pilots!!!
The only thing i said about JH is that he made promises and we will be watching to see if he delivers.
Give JH a chance, sure!! That's why we're still here :ugh:

NG_Kaptain
21st Feb 2007, 19:55
What about hiring? I see the website no longer is showing pilot vacancies. Are they catching up on training the new hires and will they be advertising soon or is it a website glitch?

cantilever
22nd Feb 2007, 06:24
The recruitment guys seem to be chasing this imaginary pool of type rated pilots!

WAKE UP boys its not out there!
You are missing out on some very good experienced (non type rated) people:ugh:

Accept he fact that your training requirments will change/costs increase and get decent people in........Pleeeeze

Oh and make sure they speak decent eeeeengleeesh:{

340flyer
24th Feb 2007, 16:07
Dear Cantilever,

If you had updated yourself with the Etihad website you would have noticed that Etihad has been taking non rated guys for the last 3 months now. Already first group expected to join in april. So i suggest you read up a bit.

CaptainProp
24th Feb 2007, 21:04
Yea, they do call people with only "baby-bus" experience...I was one of them...

/CP

Alfa_311933
25th Feb 2007, 22:51
Hello Boys,

According to Flight Intl. Mag. they need Drivers(pilots) with any type thats above 60000 kgs so I think they are moving forward in this process.

I wish them LUCK .

Happy Ldgs :ok:

cantilever
26th Feb 2007, 05:27
Sorry Chaps but nontype rated guys are currently being told by the bods in recruitment that they have stopped taking non type rated!!..an ex colleague 744 driver has just spoken with them!
What it says on the website and what they actually do is totally unrelated!.....:rolleyes:

Happy Pilot perhaps you need to check up with what info is actually being put out to potential new joiners!
If it is wrong then someone in the portakabin needs to sort it out. There are an awful lot of well qualified nontyped pilots out there with the experience and background required...as I said WAKE UP!

Baby Bus is not really non type rated, it gets them half qualified pilots and results in slightly cheaper training costs...the easy option.

CaptainProp
26th Feb 2007, 10:04
May be so. But if you are a "highly qualified" pilot, then I would think that there are "better" options out there... Guess it all depends on what you have at the mom, what you want for your furture, if you have family or not, if you wanna be in the sand etc etc....Pension? Upgrade? Living in a hotel until some sort of flat/house is sorted out? Nights away from your fam while they are sitting in AD?

I was/am concidering the deal so not saying that its "bad", just that there are lots of thinking to do before making up your mind...

Good luck!
/CP

Alfa_311933
26th Feb 2007, 11:37
Heads Up lads,

I think that if you have some faith in the guys up in the office something good will eventually come up.....

I say If EK got where it got now think what about the richest emirate of them all , it might not be a rival for EK as the money ends at the same place but Believe that the guys in the office are trying very hard.

as a matter of fact I believe that they already interviewing non rated guys I mean not even the baby bus........

Have faith
&
Keep the blue side Up:ok:

Zick
3rd Mar 2007, 08:41
I heard that the new pilot package has been sitting for the last 2 weeks on JH desk, and this comes from RH.

Does anyone had a better info on why nothing is coming out of it? It is also a fact that only around 45 pilots out of the 190 needed this year are in the pipeline, and the company is not et sure that everbody is going to show up.

Any news on the new package are highly welcomed.

Zick

sec 3
3rd Mar 2007, 10:28
Alot of the pilots interviewed in AUH also had interviews at EK and QR, and will probably go to the highest bidder. That means they won't be going to EY:cool:

340flyer
5th Mar 2007, 16:53
Just to update you guys that the website has been with the 60 ton limit for nearly 3 months now. They have taken quite a few non rated pilots and now they have enough. They are only taking non rated first officers now and no more DEC. Some A320 guys have been called but in limited numbers and mostly 330/340 guys. Anyway they still mainly upgrade and thus the limited number of DEC and i think this is a good thing to follow especially for the first officers in the company.

340flyer
5th Mar 2007, 17:55
Etihad finally signed the new package today. Details to follow in the next couple of days...Lets see
At least its signed now.:)

loc22550
6th Mar 2007, 06:34
SEC3.. don´t think Q.R. is a higher bidder than EY...:=
Cheers.
loc.

Zick
6th Mar 2007, 08:07
Hi Happy Pilot,

can u be more specific on how the new package will look like, or u just don't know? It's difficultto be patient, as we've been waiting for a couple of month. It is good news anyway:ok:

jeanphil30
6th Mar 2007, 11:41
excuse me for this "old" question but I didn't find any response on the website... is anyone can tell me what's about the assessment in Etihades airways?...technical , english, profile, psychometric ,group exercice and simulator test because I'm invated for an interview next month to DXB...
Thanks for any help

cameltoe2006
6th Mar 2007, 13:07
is anyone can tell me what's about the assessment in Etihades airways?

Sorry my friend, but I think you just failed their english test. Etihades is in hell, Etihad is in Abu Dhabi, and Emirates is in DXB.

Brush up with your english, I heard it's tough...

NYC
6th Mar 2007, 14:17
Hi guys,

actually a good question, I was also looking around for some information about the "new" pilot selection, but I couldn't find anything...can anyone help me???

greetings

340flyer
6th Mar 2007, 18:09
well all i know is they are moving most of the variable allowance to be now the new basic salary. So now whether you fly or take leave your income is quite stable. Then there is an hourly pay and a meal allowance too. Should be pretty good. Also heard something about the housing allowance. So lets see but i am happy here anyway so anything more that comes my way is great. :D

priceless
7th Mar 2007, 10:32
thanks happy pilot

so when the good news will be offcial

djuggler
8th Mar 2007, 02:24
Wow, that is really something to look forward to. When I did my interview last Jan the management guys informed us about this plan of improving the package and I am glad that they are indeed true to their words. I am joining EY in a couple of months, so hope to fly with you soon, guys!

Just one last question though to those EY jocks with kids in AUH. Which school are you sending your kids to? I have two kids (9 and 6 yo) and I want nothing but the best education for them. I know that registration for the next schoolyear is now ongoing. Any PMs will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Zick
8th Mar 2007, 12:22
Hi,

the new package has been signed 4 days ago and still no anouncement...
What a f... is going on in this company? Another FO resigned yesterday on the Bus fleet. The company is desperatly calling guys to go and fly on days off, and cancelling sim's as short of pilots.

Maybe a little announcement would make thinks easier, first to retain the ones already here, and maybe to attract more guys. Just a hint...:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Zick

csek
8th Mar 2007, 15:32
Zick

Are you surprised??? we always hear promises, promises, promises but nothing ever gets delivered.:rolleyes:

We are already losing some great people. Not only pilots, but in HQ as well. :(

Sir Osis of the river
8th Mar 2007, 19:04
Ok, so the letter is in our box at OCC. Anybody nearby to tell us what we actually got??

:D

sec 3
9th Mar 2007, 00:49
Then at the end of the month, when it really counts, the boys at EK will still be about 10,000AED happier than those at EY. Somebody has to fund the new " golden country club' compound in Khalifa City I guess:{

Sir Osis of the river
9th Mar 2007, 03:03
I hear that those Five bedroom villas are really nice. A bit more spacious than Khalifa B!:*

Well located and a pool is coming.

Severely Jetlagged
9th Mar 2007, 06:05
The new package is on the Etihad careers website.

Looks good to me as I was already content with the old package but as always there will be some who will never be happy no matter what the package.

green lemon
9th Mar 2007, 07:16
yes good way!! but no overtime :{

Insh Allah
9th Mar 2007, 10:54
Long waited package from Insh Allah Airways aka ETIHAD!!

I've just compared what I will earn in March with old and New... Guess what.. ONLY 1,400 AED Better off per month (if you lucky)!!!:confused:

I got kids in school, no increase there!! still outta pocket by at least 15, 000 AED yearly! :ugh:

Oh well... I suppose it's down to the EVPO to crew the aircraft as stated in the OMA, If he fails to do that, then I'm affraid he's gotta go!! regardless of the dress wearing folk upstairs who don;t really wanna match the package to their cousins down the road!

Slopwith
9th Mar 2007, 14:33
Eh?

The Cayenne bit and restaurants might be true but

"You forgot our fantastic 5 bedrooms villas with swimming pool on the corniche, here we have the best accomodation available on the market."!

Thought there were big poblems with accomodation and loss of licence might be coming but not aware of it being there yet?!

Ghostflyer
9th Mar 2007, 14:42
I think it called irony. I heard EY are about to announce basing and commuting rosters.

EasyGo-Lucky?
9th Mar 2007, 14:51
I think it called irony. I heard EY are about to announce basing and commuting rosters.
Thats either wishful thinking, someone is throwing you a load of manure or its your attempt at irony. Not happening.

Nothing wrong living in Abu Dhabi or working at Etihad, not perfect but then show me where is.

Slopwith
9th Mar 2007, 14:57
Talking to a colleague today about new deal. They reckon it is good for F/Os but not so good for Captains and by the sounds of it still not up with EK!

Also had anyone got any idea on times to command at the moment? If there is a freeze on expansion/deliveries that will slow things down a lot.

5 Bedroom Villas? Are these the ones being built out by the airport or the purchase scheme nearer downtown?

djuggler
9th Mar 2007, 15:32
With all the positive developments going on in EY (improvement of package, expansion programs, etc), I am now more than inclined to join this company.

What with man's insatiable appetite, for sure there will always be happy and unhappy people. But as they say, it's impossible to please everybody.

Nevertheless, I am looking forward to expanding my horizon, and EY seems to be holding a bright future for anyone hoping to have a better life and a good career.

I am about to embark on a life-changing decision, and with a bagful of hopes and dreams, I am now ready to fly high in EY.

To all those who responded to my queries, I give my deepest gratitude for all your sound advise. I have weighed things carefully, and without your inputs and advise, I know that I couldn't have come up with a better decision.

Safe flight everyone! Ma salama!

Severely Jetlagged
9th Mar 2007, 15:54
Djuggler,

You won't regret your decision, I haven't looked back one day since joining Etihad. Its far better than I expected and far far better than my previous so called Major Airline.

I think some need to remember that they happily signed up to the previous package when they joined Etihad. Now they are in essence getting a pay rise, granted not huge, purely because of a pilot shortage and in no way because they are entitled to one and yet still complain. I just wonder how much money would be enough to keep these people happy thats if they even consider their own happiness over income.

Djuggler good luck in Etihad. Hope to meet up one day. Its great fun and rewarding working here as you will soon see.

csek
9th Mar 2007, 19:19
djuggler

You sound like management disguising themselves on this thread as a rookie trying to sell pilots this deal. :=

Once a used car salesman, always a used car salesman!

I will stick with "the other major airline" thanks

At least they have yearly BONUSES!

boeing-man
9th Mar 2007, 19:54
To all guys joining as co-pilots.....beware. As you know from previous posts, not all is what it seems in Etihad. A word of caution for your consideration. In the new salary scheme, the FO's salary was increased substantially for a good reason. The management already know that airplane deliveries will stop after 2008. With that, upgrades will also stop accordingly and the amount of upgrades that they expect to do will just barely cover the existing co-pilots already in the company. Hence any new joiners will can only reasonably expect an upgrade in 2012 or later when more planes arrive.

The current guys slotted in for upgrade is already delayed as they can't spare anymore FOs to cater for the ones being upgraded.

I wish you best of luck to consider your move carefully.....:hmm:

nowhere
10th Mar 2007, 02:22
Just ran much numbers and raise for me is at only a few percent rise, with less of penalty for holiday. One captain say inflation is runing over 25 percent year in Abu Dhabi, while housing going up more than this. With anual rise in following year only 700 durhams (200USD) month, cost of living will grow much, much faster than your salary. EK is still paying more when one consider living provision, which is a major problem in AUH unless you will live in apratment and don't mind children playing by busy hiways. Villas expensive and company one still away.

Watch roster also. With no cost for company to have you on standby, it could be quite problem. I am already 23 days on roster sometimes.

Also many concerned about medical coverage being very restrictive and no limit on how much per anum you can pay if they will not cover problem. Many pages of exclusion conditions and people having to pay common charges that were covered under old plan, but now not because of new insurance company.

Working for Etihad not to bad, but not to good either. Hotels we are provided on night stops not near to EK. Crew Control is out of Control and often do not know regulations and will ask you to fly even when not legal.

Also for first officers, only few more planes coming here, so there will be less opportunity to upgrade if you sign now. In the next year EK is getting more a/c than we have. Also, if you are not in with people of power it will be harder for you to get command, as your performance is not only factor considered.

To me it seems that Asians have easier time here than Westerners. Those of us who worked in past in Europe and other places find this very unorganized and still see many problems here that are not being managed compared with rate we have grown.

I can see nothing in future that will make this a desireable place to work. We will be less able to save any money since cost are increasing here so fast.

Anyway, some other airlines may be worse but many other comprable or better.
Consider your decison carefully.

sandblasted
10th Mar 2007, 09:50
Etihad management have certainly misjudged the whole thing.
Moral is at an all time low as a result of below industry standard pay scales, no pension scheme or loss of licence, very poor private health care cover and substandard housing in comparison with other gulf Carriers.
Many Etihad pilots have been hanging on waiting to see if the pay rise would be worth staying for. I fully expect to see many pilots actively looking to move on after all there are plenty of jobs out there.
Now the Basic salary has been increased to 33000 with a 50 dhs per flying hour allowance and off duty away from base allowance of 23dhs per hour maximum to
Minimum of 12dhs per hour depending on where your layover.
This is obviously better as you get a higher basic when you are on leave or off sick.
However there is no daily rate nor payment for standby or ground course except simulator training.
Etihad claim that this represents a 7.7% rise based on a Captain year 1 flying 75 hours a month and 3 nights away from base. Except that over the last 12 months a Captain never averages 75 hours more like 50 however does average around 20 – 22 duty days a month so you get around 14000 -15400 in duty pay added to a year 1 Basic of 23000 which gives an average monthly salary 37000 – 38400. Take into account leave days and possible sick time average salary over 12 months is around 34000.
First Officers salary has increased from a year 1 Basic of 16400 to 24500 and 40 dhs per flying hour. Etihad recon that’s 16.8 %
Ok it is a pay rise but still be lagging behind Industry standard. It barley covers you for what your have lost in your salary each month due to the de-value of UAE Dirham which is pegged to the USD against the strong Euro and Sterling. Not to mention the soaring inflation in the UAE around 28 %
What you don’t get is
No Pension Scheme
No Loss of Licence
No transport to / from work (like in Emirates)
No Currency exchange rate protection
No descent housing oh but they are negotiating some villas that are quite frankly Sh*t which are so remote they are 50 km from downtown Abu Dhabi, shops and schools.
They might as well be on the Lunar Surface.
Expected time for command upgrades has slowed right down as no more expansion after the end of this year. Time to command? possibly 3- 4 years

Mad Camel
10th Mar 2007, 11:51
Waiting and waiting and waiting for the good news...........

and now! what a waste of time! is that what they call new package?

new management but still the same old thing. their mentality is, give them bit by bit, they will stay, they will come and at the same time we can cut cost. but our (management people) pay must be a lot, i mean a lot, because we (management people) not gonna be around for a long time. when things goes bad we just resign with good bonus.

if you guys out there with a good job, don't even think of applying or consider somewhere else where the management is mature enough.

living in abu dhabi is not that wonderful, you will find many things here is not normal practice as other countries. process in doing things is troublesome.

MC :ugh:

djuggler
10th Mar 2007, 12:21
Djuggler good luck in Etihad. Hope to meet up one day. Its great fun and rewarding working here as you will soon see.

Thank you, severelyjetlagged. I'm definitely looking forward to have a beer or two with you. Safe flight always!

You sound like management disguising themselves on this thread as a rookie trying to sell pilots this deal. :=

Csek, i'm sorry sir, but I am neither from management nor do I know anyone from Etihad. I am just a simple guy trying to make a shot at a good life that Etihad, I believe and hope, can offer to me and my family.

I am, however, disappointed by your negativity trying to scare people like me to come and join etihad. But no matter what other people say, I have made up my mind and I am going there to join you. I hope one day we'll get to fly together, and no matter how bad you feel about EY, still you can count on me to make our flight nice and enjoyable. ;)

Safe flight though, csek. Wish you all the best, and of course happiness in this world.

Herbsnspices
10th Mar 2007, 12:45
And don't say that I did not tell you!!!!:\
Some choose not to listen, others pretend, the rest, suffer.

Abu Dhabi + Ignorant management = Ignorant airline unfit for animal consumption, let alone human consumption.

Dobra Sreca

H&S:cool:

csek
10th Mar 2007, 12:52
djuggler

I am, however, disappointed by your negativity trying to scare people like me to come and join etihad.

If you read to post correctly, there was no scare tactic involved. I would say however that the other post would address that issue more than me. However as disappointing as it maybe to you, I totally agree with them. And believe me I am not trying to scare you to JOIN Etihad. Quite the opposite.

The only way we are going to fly together is if you join the other boys up the road. Im not saying its perfect, but having a Pension Scheme, Loss of Licence protection, transport to / from work, Currency exchange rate protection, descent housing, descent medical and yearly bonuses made my mind up on which one to choose.

I thought we were being screwed, but after talking to my mates down the road in EY, there is no comparison to which one is better deal!

Maybe you should think just that little bit harder. Good luck to you whatever you choose!

djuggler
10th Mar 2007, 13:34
Csek, I guess we can never tell which way is good for one, and which way is bad for the others. Either way, I respect whatever decision you may have made, just as I hope you will respect mine. This is the path I have chosen, and I am happy with it. I take it that you're with EK, so my apologies for thinking that you're with EY.

And once again, I am not from management, and nobody coerced me in any way to choose EY. I guess there is nothing wrong for anybody to hope for a better career for himself and a good future for his family.

Chill out, bro, and goodluck to you.

long flare
10th Mar 2007, 14:05
Too late for me... I just completed my interviews and got the job in Etihad! Guess I'm just going to have to take the payrise.. even before I start!

Seriously though, for those of us looking to move from wherever we are to improve our lot, this sure changes what is available. I have read that Abu Dhabi plans to invest a lot of money (Billions) into developing it's infrastruture, so that does give some security to the job in Etihad.

Anyway, one very happy chappy on his way to start with you soon. :O

Sinbad1
10th Mar 2007, 18:19
:cool:
For those Bus and Boeing drivers wishes to join EY and planning to live in AUH below is few tips;

Always look after Number one because Number 2 and 3 will be automatically taken care of. Stick to your Guns when you negotiate your package ( they need you more than you need them), those German and
Aussies are tough fellows they want to have the cake and eat it too, you do the hard work and they take the credit.
at the end of the day NO one will force you to make any decision you do not want to make.

The airport is 35 KM from the centre of AUH- strait drive.avoid the locals and Taxi drivers they are lunatics. Accidents are usually fatal.
Driving licence conversion to AUH driving licence is quite easy.
to get a loan from a bank to buy a car and register it usually take 3 days and off you go. you can get a loan approved over the counter for 250,000 Derhim, That's right, no typing error!!.
Do not stick your finger at other drivers like me when they do something stupid or un civilised in a road rage, because you will go to jail first for two days then they will ask you what happened. No matter what you did, you go to jail first.
The speed camera at the airport road have thresh hold of 160 KM before they go off. I do not think it works but it looks good, But not in Dubai.
The airport is Average to fair, Ops and briefing crew room is very small and when you pass the hallway on your way to EY OCC you will suffocate. The smoke from the cabin crew smoking in the hallway is very bad.
Most pilots are very pleasant, some I found the urge to thump, quite over whelming. Nationality of pilot ranging from English, Swiss, German, Norway, Malaysian, one from Zimbabwe (very nice man), one from Belgium, very few local pilots, very few Indian and sierlankan pilots.
The Cabin crew most of them are inexperience, Most of the time they argue about whose more senior, even though the difference is few months in seniority between them.It keeps them busy.
Children schooling are going up by quite a lot this year . It pays you to investigate your self.I am lucky I do not have the little devils.
Out door activity in the summer is NIL-NO GO ( Very bloody hot), in winter (between Nov to Feb) is quite nice. Do not try to be adventures and go for a run by the beach in the summer unless you are near crowd of people, this is so they can pick you up when you collapse and take you to the hospital to re-hydrate you. The only places you can visit in the summer in AUH is the Mall and the Mall and the Mall.
Do not believe people (specially management) when they tell you it is cheap here and no taxes to pay. Check the supermarkets prices and other product and you will see the prices for reasonable quality product are the same prices as in Europe. Petrol is the only cheap thing in AUH by comparison to Europe.
Housing is very expensive and do not let any one tell you otherwise. I read some of you thinking about renting a Villas...some of you are very funny!!!. As an alternative place some pilots lives in Jabal Ali (50 minutes drive from AUH Airport).
Most of the flight on EY specially the nights departure is usually around 2 am, this is usually for the Asian and European sectors.currently and (not sure if it is still the same as few months back) approx 12 flights during the day.The rest are in the evening.
The fleet is mostly new A330, A340-300,500,600 and on B767.
The food is GREAT.
Finally the summer is coming and I am glad I am not in AUH.OH I almost forgot, DO not get caught drink and driving, In fact do not get bloody drunk at all.:ok:

Bredrin
10th Mar 2007, 19:58
New pay package is good for the FOs, since they are trying to attract more....Captains on A330 will probably end up with a small increase as mentioned above but, 777 and especially 767 drivers (Captains) will probably end up loosing. 777 now have no European destinations and as such low meal allowances while the 767 guys have only turn arounds. BIG CUT!!

Housing is great if you can fit in a 3 Br flat but, if you have 3 or more kids you still have to pay out of your pocket as Etihad does not seem to care about people who have LARGER families.

It is a good place to be but it varies from person to person based on family size, seat and fleet as to how good/bad your package is.

Medical is also poor. Too many exclusions and pre approvals required.

Loss of licence is back on the drawing board after being almost a done deal with the previous management.

WHAT NEXT?

THE SAGA CONTINUES.

Flying Daggers
10th Mar 2007, 20:32
Fellas now you had to bite the dust. It's a never ending story. Me is last corner I'd ever go again. Those Bedouins have all the money in the world bu t don't they don't you to live a live. You're a slave, a simple driver with the difference that their drivers sleep under the stairs and you in the 3 bed room apartment. Anyone still seeking the job in ME is nuts. Let them hire all the cheap fellas from the third world. Stay out of that mess.

MR8
11th Mar 2007, 06:23
..Except that over the last 12 months a Captain never averages 75 hours more like 50...

Watch out what you wish for. Us boys up in DXB dream of a 50hr month.

MR8

Toubob
11th Mar 2007, 09:26
I have just done the math comparing last years salary to the new pay scale.
When adding up all of last years pay stubs I made 427 500 aed. On the New scale calculating in the base pay and hours I flew it would come to 433 399 AED. A raise of 5899 AED or 1.3% per year not the stated 7.7% from management.
Also we are no longer paid for ground training, standby or medicals. So for an extra 1.3% they get an extra 40 or so days of work for free per year.
You cant count per diem as a raise. Per diem is to pay my meals when away from home, not my mortgage or pension plan.
Aparently this is "comparable to the best of those offered by our regional competitors and major international airlies".

Sinbad1
11th Mar 2007, 12:19
:=

Flying Daggers;

"Those Bedouins have all the money in the world but t don't they don't you to live a live. You're a slave"

I have to disagree with you on that one Flying Daggers, The Airline purely managed by the European Bedouins i.e The German, The British, The Australian, Believe me they the one setting up the rules and regulation and how much you should get paid or not, and not to mention the Asian-Indian. I do not know if you really Know the Board structure for EY Airline and the Maintenance side of it. I assure you 99% of them are European. However I do agree with you on the way they treat their drivers, servant etc. The ME especially in that part of the world is not a place to live in but to make money and get out ( if you manage to make money that is).This is why In my previous post I mentioned the place is not cheap to live in!!!! It is however great place to live in for the Asian or the Philippine people, especially when you look at the standard and the cost of living they come from. Also most European do not take the Cra..:mad: ..P like they do, Why???? because they do not have the same choice as us who lives in Europe or else where, where there is Union to fight for your right or a law to protect you and your family. When you in that part of the region forget your right or union. do not mention it otherwise they think you are joking:ok:

fractional
11th Mar 2007, 12:20
As long as all the Gulf airlines continue to have applications that satisfy their recruitment standards, they will not change a bit of their contracts. The may make adjustments to make more linear, but that will be it.
Recruitment standards may not correspond to QUALITY standards, but this problem (and the problem definitely exist) is up to the respective Civil Aviation (Civ Airs) authorities to ensure safe standards are always applied and checked. If the latter is inefficient, these airlines will be heading for big trouble sooner rather than later. Nothing new here. Every airline must and ought to have a safe flying platform.
Unfortunately, senior management is more concerned about FY results rather than ensuring safety standards are rigorously enforced.
Apologies for going off track and with no disrespect to those capable guys without a previous chance to fly in the Gulf majors and willing to do so, the point here is: Airlines will either offer more to attract experienced (and company tested/screened) staff or they will have to slow down their expansion plans to get their "house in order" before a major incident/accident happens. Pretending everything is OK will be counter-productive, very irresponsible and will lead to a major disaster, financial too.
Respective Civ Airs are equally irresponsible and must not/ought not to be indifferent to these ever evolving events. Unfortunately, the aviation world (among other worlds) is full of irresponsible managements, and mankind generally needs and effective "policing" tool to ensure very basic and uncompromising standards are never overruled by irresponsible people.
Again, apologies for going off track from the second paragraph onwards but I found the topic somehow related and relevant.

Sinbad1
11th Mar 2007, 12:34
:p
fractional;

You are right on the track, The problem now these days no body seems to care about standard any more or safety for that matter. The sad things about the Airline or the aviation industry they always come back and trying to rectify the problem when the Sh....:mad: ...t hit the fan. I do not know what they expect " if you pay peanuts you get Monkies":ugh:

Toubob
11th Mar 2007, 12:59
I have just done the math comparing last years salary to the new pay scale.
When adding up all of last years pay stubs I made 427 500 aed. On the New scale calculating in the base pay and hours I flew it would come to 433 399 AED. A raise of 5899 AED or 1.3% per year not the stated 7.7% from management.
Also we are no longer paid for ground training, standby or medicals. So for an extra 1.3% they get an extra 40 or so days of work for free per year.

They count per diem as a pay raise.You can not count per diem as a raise. Per diem is to pay my meals when away from home, not to my mortgage or pension plan. If they think you are pocketing meal allowances they will cut them.Therefore not a raise.

Aparently this is "comparable to the best of those offered by our regional competitors and major international airlies".

nowhere
11th Mar 2007, 13:01
Your calculations are just about what I see. Also if you have already have some of your holiday, then you have been penalized, as the major improvment was that you did not lose so much when you went on leave.

This was very clever of management. Wait until April and then implement it. I imagine most people already had some leave. Also the 767 guys had all of Feb off and forced to take some leave time while the a/c was on ground. Good news is next year when there 1.8 percent pay rise comes they can make it back.

One other point is that EY has no protection for currency shifts, like EK does. The Durhams is based directly on the US dollar. So not only is inflation here hurting you greatly, but the dollar is very weak.

The overall philosophy seems to be give them the least possible and hope people don't leave and alway say more is in your future.

EY housing is one of the lowest in Abu Dhabi, making it very difficult to afford anything than company appartment, some are okay

Overall with only 700dhms payrise a year in contract, there is very little future at Etihad. With the dollar sinking and inflation so much it is only a matter of time till it will cost you money to work here, which is a management dream.

csek
11th Mar 2007, 15:36
Flying Daggers

You're a slave, a simple driver with the difference that their drivers sleep under the stairs and you in the 3 bed room apartment.

Sinbad

However I do agree with you on the way they treat their drivers, servant etc

Gentlemen, I would have to agree with the both of you 100%.

A good friend once told told me that, in the UAE you are just a well paid labourer (if that!!!). We have exactly the same rights and those poor guys on the building sites. the only difference is the place where we work.

lovdates
11th Mar 2007, 18:27
Gents,

you are absolutely right...the new package is bs
start looking around
cheers:sad:

Firbolgs
11th Mar 2007, 20:01
Yes it is crap and very few will be better off.....on the 777 we will certainly be worse off:{
All the hype leading upto this package was BS, they obviously think we are stupid
Time to start looking around :ok:

tbaylx
11th Mar 2007, 21:52
Compared to GF that's a pretty good package for an F/O..almost 1000 BHD more a month that our base....could always be worse. Seems that Captains didn't get as good as a deal, but from what i can see it's competitive at least.

semper fi
12th Mar 2007, 03:31
Amazing !! Simply Amazing !! This place is too good to be true, quite the mirror image of EK, So now we see people threatening to leave. I wonder what the ratio of peple bitching will be as to how many people will actually leave will, only time will tell.......................:eek:

AnonDubai
12th Mar 2007, 08:42
This is hilarious. Anyone who thinks that the average Etihad pilot is driving around in a Porsche Cayenne is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Gold Falcon
12th Mar 2007, 09:59
Well, I've seen :

Porsche Cayenne
Porsche 911
BMW 5 series
Mercedes 'E'
VW Tuaoreg
Volvo XC90
Nissan Murano
BMW B3 Alpina
BMW M3
Mercedes 'S'
Audi A6
and many many more ltypes of uxury cars driven by Etihad pilots.

Togalk
12th Mar 2007, 10:20
So what? I can spend my money on what ever I want.

Gold Falcon
12th Mar 2007, 10:44
Exactly! That's what I meant. Etihad pilot's has enough money to spent, if he chose to. They deserve better package, but the deal now is definitely not the worst.

GTR-34
12th Mar 2007, 11:12
You missed out the Audi RS4 and the Z4 :}:}

Count von Altibar
12th Mar 2007, 11:44
Package certainly not the worst in the middle east now but is lacking two major items. A pension scheme (or provident fund) and loss of licence insurance. These two things should have been addressed in the recent package review and are a serious oversight by the new management team. Any Etihad pilots know what is this new 'rent to buy' scheme that's boasted about on the company website?

csek
12th Mar 2007, 17:16
Gold Falcon

I could definately afford those cars too if I took out a huge loan from the ever giving banks here in the UAE! :eek: I see cabin crew in EK that drive them.

I can bet your bottom dollar that not one of them actually "owns" their luxury car and they have many years ahead of them to pay them off.

Yet i suppose the little extra that management are giving will allow them to install a hands free kit. Yippee!!!

blueground
12th Mar 2007, 22:24
Hi all can i have your veiw of EY new packge:)

csek
13th Mar 2007, 04:47
blueground

Hi all can i have your veiw of EY new packge

What the :mad: do you think we have been talking about in the last five pages of this thread!

Severely Jetlagged
13th Mar 2007, 05:47
Csek

For my own benefit and after your posts regarding the new Etihad pay package can I confirm that you work for Emirates and have never worked for Etihad?

Thanks.

csek
13th Mar 2007, 08:50
Jetlagged

Yes indeed I am up the road, but I used to be where you are now. I know exactly where the EY boys are coming from. I remember what it was like being trained in a porta cabin.

The only difference is I got fed up with all the promises made and went for the better deal. Which is what I would wish for any pilot, especially with a family here in the UAE.

I got fed up of paying from my own pocket, and only just making ends meet month by month. I was always scared that if something were to happen to me, my wife and kids would be screwed. Lets face it, we have the experience, let them pay for it.

I was one of the stupid ones who actually believed in EY and thought it would get better with time, but after shifting up the road recently, I can now see what a raw deal it is in EY.

I got fed up with the promises, the lack of money, the lack of loss of licence protection, the lack of provident fund, the lack of transport, the lack of accomodation, the lack of communication, the lack of crew and most of all got sick of the incompetent HR department. Need i say more!

Please understand Jetlagged, that im not trying to rub this in anyones face, but I am only showing you what is on offer at other major carriers. Trust me I learnt the hard way.

I still have allot of good friends over at EY,and i tell you, the deck crew at EY are a great bunch of guys, the best i have ever had the pleasure of working with. It was sad to leave them. Trust me when I tell you, they too will soon be going. Which will only make your lives even more of a hell with monthly hours and shortage of crew. I thought moral was bad when I left, but it has obviously hit its lowest now after this "so called new package"

good luck to you buddy, I wish you all the best

Sinbad1
13th Mar 2007, 09:38
blueground

Quote:
"Hi all can i have your veiw of EY new packge "

What the :mad: do you think we have been talking about in the last five pages of this thread!

Dear csek
This is just brilliant answer:D :D :D :D :ok:. Very good luck to you.

that is why I been surfing Pprune website for the last 6 years. It is really funny.

On another subject, some one complained about people reporting and posting every little things on this website i.e IFS for EY aircraft over Saudi. Well.. that is what Pprune is for, Please do not complain, you always have a choice.

sec 3
13th Mar 2007, 10:11
Howdy csek. Looks good on you man, happy flying!:ok: After the new package came out, I dusted off my cv and updated my logbook, who knows what will come up tomorrow!:)

EasyGo-Lucky?
13th Mar 2007, 17:44
Interesting reading

Sinbad1
13th Mar 2007, 19:07
:hmm:
Dear Herbsnspices,

What is the Rough creedless bedous & rough ozzies from the bush & "Rule of the Harlots" have in common???

please do tell, this is getting very interesting.

Below is the rule of the harlots definition;
"Rule of the Harlots":
Sergius III (A.D. 904-911). Said to have had a mistress, Marozia. She, her mother Theodora, and her sister, "filled the Papal chair with their paramours and bastard sons, and turned the Papal Palace into a den of robbers." Called in history The Rule of the Harlots (904-963).:E

f4212
13th Mar 2007, 22:58
Rough creedless bedous whose only concern is the tip of their gear box knob, and now combined with rough ozzies from the bush, what a mix, oozing with culture and understanding, just what it takes to run an international airline.
Welcome back Herbie, you never cease to amaze me with your cultural insights. :D

Gold Falcon
14th Mar 2007, 06:00
Culture? I'm here to make money. I will adapt to any culture I have to.

unb5
14th Mar 2007, 13:06
I believe Falcon said they are here to make money but failed to mention that it is at the expense of every hard working individual at EY. The more money that is saved in the operations budget the more is available to skim off the top. Don't forget how the British Empire was created by exploiting the nations of conquest and reeping the benefits....The Australians are just the ones that caught and never shared the benefits with anyone else,then sent away to hone their skills and come back twice as crafty....Good Luck to all down there....but don't forget your roots, nothing grows in sand except scorpions.

HurryUp&Retire
15th Mar 2007, 03:28
I know this is off topic. But does EY take any RJ drivers? Their web site says 60000KG or more.

Easy Ryder
15th Mar 2007, 14:29
I'm curious to know what is the bond upon joining EY.

Not sure i fancy spending many years in the sand, but a nice wide body rating will no doubt open a few more doors.

Also does EY do mixed fleet flying on the 'bus?

Cheers

(Sorry its a bit off topic)

priceless
24th Mar 2007, 21:55
what is it ?
tell us

noflare
25th Mar 2007, 04:51
Well using the new system to calculate what the March roster would have paid me shows that I would lose 400dhms...thats with no leave or block days off!...a regular average roster.

You can read what you like into the propoganda being put out by the portakabin but that is what it would mean to me in hard cash.
The company view of looking longterm over the year is BS....if you lose an average of 400/month you do not make that up with the higher basic they have put in place.

So please guys stop trying to flog us this load of BS....its not the great deal you would have us believe, its a move in the right direction but still falls well short of other carriers.....dont kid us or yourselves its anything else! :=

gotagoodid4me
25th Mar 2007, 21:38
Well Guys,

after reading through all this I did the calculation myself and was damn surprised! In 2006 I did earn ( including housing allowance ) 358.989 AED, and under the new scheme ( including layover allowance ) I would have gotten 452.695 AED. :D That's an increase of 26%, if my calculation is right! 2007 will not look like this, I know. Under the old scheme sitting at home and waiting for a license didn't earn you much credit. But, as pointed out from Management as well, the new pay system is supposed to do just that, detach our pay from factors like leave, sick days and waiting for a license. By the way, I flew 538 Hours in the past 12 month... in EK they dream of that!!!

I would rather see some improvement in rostering. One request per month is pretty slim adding that swapping flights is almost impossible and an average 5 days AVBL are 5 days not having a roster!

Overall I'm happy with the company, though I don't know how long I can cope living in the UAE...

Happy Landings everyone....

Togalk
26th Mar 2007, 05:44
gotagoodid...
Since when is layover allowance included in your pay? It is to re-imburse you for money you have spent to eat while away. It is something every other airline in the world pays and something we should have received from day one. DO NOT INCLUDE LAY OVER ALOWANCE IN YOUR PAY CALCULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
And you can't include your housing allowance either. The guys in company provided don't get that. And again, that is not pay, that is to provide you with a place to live.

Gold Falcon
26th Mar 2007, 06:46
All allowances are money, therefore it depands on each person's lifestyle if he's able to utilize part of the allowance to contribute into his savings.

mmid
26th Mar 2007, 18:03
hi i was told most ey pilots drive super cars and date only models in auh?
is that true if so i wanna leave my ek job n join you guys.

note : you guys are more funny than jay leno and bush .........

for those who have left ey dont be jealous of the faithful ones in ey .
loyalty pays.

sec 3
26th Mar 2007, 21:19
Judging by the new pay package, loyalty means sh*t at EY. From the most senior captains all the way to the captains who have recently joined, all captains have been stiffed by the new management. Only those pilots who work in the office got a noticeable raise in pay:bored:

frieghtdog
27th Mar 2007, 00:59
hay dudes any body knows how many planes will EY take delivery for 07 and 08 , and how many pilots are the looking to hire,

and how many are on standby shift or reserve.

thanks

frieghtdog
27th Mar 2007, 20:30
;) must be everyone at EY flying there butts off , they don't have time to respond.

help us out.:ugh:

GTR-34
28th Mar 2007, 15:25
i think they are getting 10 buses 2007 and thats all...how many hirings?..probably as many as they can have! ...and yeah all are flying their butts out :( cheers!!

Easy Ryder
28th Mar 2007, 17:37
Just curious.... how longs the bond at EY and does it reduce over time?

Also does the company practise Mixed Fleet Flying?

Cheers

Florian
29th Mar 2007, 03:41
Hey, How much do you pay for a 3 room house, in a nice area in Abu Dhabi ?

I'm Driving
30th Mar 2007, 04:38
From The Etihad Website.

"Starting salary of AED 24500 or US$ 6655 per month for First officers and an annual salary increment of AED 500 per month."

Does that mean you get an extra AED 500 per month? I'm guessing it's a typo.

Fly4Fun
30th Mar 2007, 11:06
Yes, which means, in your second year with Etihad your salary shall be
AED 25,000 per month and in the third year AED 25,500 and so on!

Happy landings :ok:

sandpitpilot
16th Jun 2007, 07:17
Heard there were a few amendments to the vacation allotment. Any truth to the rumor?

Togalk
16th Jun 2007, 13:18
No there isn't.