PDA

View Full Version : FAA JAA type differences

Fuji Abound
11th Feb 2007, 19:59
Anyone know the story on the transfer of priviliges from JAA/CAA to FAA.

For example, with a FAA SEP piggy backed on a JAA/CAA (or a stand alone FAA for that matter) will you also have multi, IR and type on your FAA if these are on your CAA/JAA.

gcolyer
11th Feb 2007, 21:00
I think the multi can be carried accross, don't take it as gosspel though. As for the IR you have to do the FAA IR and add that to your piggy backed FAA license.

Whopity
11th Feb 2007, 22:57
You can apply for the ME on the back of your JAA rating but have to do the 50 question IR Exam then you can operate on your UK IR provided its valid. You will still have to go through the verification rigmarole even though you already have a FAA License.

IO540
12th Feb 2007, 06:56
I think the context of the original Q is N-reg operations outside the USA, so...

FAR $61.3 (a) (1) says: "when operated within a foreign country, a current pilot license issued by the country in which the aircraft is operated may be used".

IMHO, a JAA license with a JAA IR would do fine for an N-reg. Certainly in the UK if UK issued.

Fuji Abound
12th Feb 2007, 09:38
Thank you so far.

IO - I understand why you assumed this, but it was with a view to use in the States that I was interested.

Whopity - so you are suggesting the ME is a given on the back of your CAA ME, but you have to apply. Are you saying it is a letter to the FAA saying you have an ME on your CAA and want to add this to your FAA? Do then they simply make the addition?

So far as the IR is concerned can you expand? Is it simply a matter of doing the written and is it a similiar application?

You also mention you have to got through the verification procedure. Is this true of both the ME and IR?

What about Euro land differences? Tailwheel, pressurisation, and type ratings?

OwnNav
13th Feb 2007, 12:45
Hi SoCal App

I have an FAA PPL issued on the back of my CAA PPL, how can I obtain a stand alone FAA certificate ?

Cheers

OwnNav

OwnNav
14th Feb 2007, 09:49
Many thanks for the advice, looks like a trip to Disney coming on ! :p

OwnNav

IO540
14th Feb 2007, 15:03
Unless he lives in Ireland in which case, I gather, he needs a FAA Class 2 or higher.

Somebody here posted that the Class 3 is sub-ICAO and that the USA has filed a difference to ICAO on this. I wish I could have a reference - the ICAO docs are here (http://dcaa.slv.dk:8000/icaodocs/).