PDA

View Full Version : first solo

pchappo
10th Feb 2007, 22:52
WOOT - got my first solo today :) - aint stopped grinning or blabbering on about it to the wife yet!

was a great lesson, then my instructor said he was getting out! (not in mid-flight btw ;) )

great feeling and a great achievement!

Freebird17
10th Feb 2007, 23:11
Congratulations pchappo!!!

What did it feel like when you were up there on your own?

My own first solo seemed quite businesslike - just a case of getting on with it. But I still remember every minute of it - and doing the pre-takeoff checks out loud at least twice!!

Maz11
10th Feb 2007, 23:13
Congratulations mate,

Its a day you'll never forget, and the grin might last a while yet.

I'll never forget that feeling turning final and looking to the left to see an empty seat!! AHHHHHHHHH

TheGorrilla
10th Feb 2007, 23:17
Well done! :ok:

tangovictor
10th Feb 2007, 23:35
well done :D

Beethoven
10th Feb 2007, 23:50
Good lad..tha's now a pilot.
Stay safe.:)

Humaround
11th Feb 2007, 08:33
"I'll never forget that feeling turning final and looking to the left to see an empty seat!! AHHHHHHHHH"
Was that because you suddenly realized you were in the wrong seat?

Well done pchappo!

J.A.F.O.
11th Feb 2007, 09:51
It'll stay with you forever.

Well done, Captain. :D

microlight AV8R
11th Feb 2007, 13:01
Great news.:D Every time I read of another solo it takes me back to mine. Then I get that silly grin again. :cool:
Well done Captain self.

jamestkirk
11th Feb 2007, 16:20
And spare a thought for us instructors who worry like a parent every time we send someone on their first solo. Albeit, a good feeling for us as well.

Well done

JTK

alvin-sfc
11th Feb 2007, 17:10
Congratulations on your first solo.Mine was nearly thirty years ago but I remember all of it like it was yesterday.The grin will eventially lessen,slightly.:ok:

captain_flynn
12th Feb 2007, 00:50
Fantastic achievement. Well done and congratulations. You will never ever forget it. :}:ok::ok::ok:

flyems
14th Feb 2007, 10:41
One more of us, one less of them... :D

PompeyPaul
14th Feb 2007, 12:36
Were you terrified or did you feel ready ? I am at 9hours with Air Law & Medical passed. I think I'm getting there, but the idea fears me with total dread at the moment but when I get there I'll be totally exhilirated.

I'm so jealous, you did it!

Lister Noble
14th Feb 2007, 17:34
I was literally terrified of going solo around 9 hours.
I thought bl**dy hell how am I going to be ready at 10 hrs which everyone reckons is the normal time.
Several of my very experienced pilot pals told that the instructor would know when I was ready,I probably wouldn't.
I went solo around 18 hrs but still got my PPL licence in 53 hours,which aint bad for an old un!
(just passed 63 when I got it)
My CFI said
"It is not a race,it doesn't matter how long it takes,and if you solo in record time, you could still end up a crap pilot"
Enjoy and good luck.
Lister:)

Wessex Boy
15th Feb 2007, 17:39
Congratulations!
I remember on mine, deciding that I didn't need the Intercom on with the Instructor not being there, and then had to quickly turn it back on during climbout as it did not feel right not hearing yourself narrating what you were doing!
Is this normal or was I as mad as a box of frogs?:}

RudeNot2
15th Feb 2007, 20:10
Congratulations mate. I remember mine last year (27/7) still gain a cheesy grin thinking of it!! When I had done the single circuit and taxied back to the hangar my instructor was waiting for me with the camera phone. After the obligatory picture I jumped down and kissed the ground. Unfortunately I have only managed about 1 hour solo since then, but it still feels un-nerving each time!

Enjoy - we will all get there in the end..

C152_driver
15th Feb 2007, 23:51
:D

Oh b*gger, there isn't an 'envious' smiley.

Can't wait for mine! <parp>

PompeyPaul
18th Feb 2007, 14:11
Were you terrified or did you feel ready ? I am at 9hours with Air Law & Medical passed. I think I'm getting there, but the idea fears me with total dread at the moment but when I get there I'll be totally exhilirated.

I'm so jealous, you did it!
Just did my solo on 10 hours. FOOKIN MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Wessex Boy
19th Feb 2007, 10:40
Well done!
I checked my Log Book, I went Solo after 6.5 hours, it will probably take almost as much time to go (Re)Solo this time!

high-hopes
19th Feb 2007, 11:31
Even David Gilmour, Pink Floyd guitarist and expert pilot, fondly remembers his first solo ! :cool:

Rans Flyer
19th Feb 2007, 12:37
One minuet your shi**ing yourself next your overcome with elation.
It’s got to be one of life’s biggest emotional rollercoaster’s.
Well-done captin pchappo.

Rans.
www.FlightForLife.co.uk

DenhamPPL
19th Feb 2007, 13:38
Congratulations:) great feeling afterwards isn't it!

Wessex Boy: I think you're perfectly normal. Or - we're both mad;)
I still talk myself through all the procedures when solo. When dual with an instructor I'm told they actually rather like hearing us talk through everything beside them - at least it means we haven't fallen asleep or frozen on the controls!

Mad Girl
19th Feb 2007, 13:49
Denham PPL Congratulations:) great feeling afterwards isn't it!

Wessex Boy: I think you're perfectly normal. Or - we're both mad;)
I still talk myself through all the procedures when solo. When dual with an instructor I'm told they actually rather like hearing us talk through everything beside them - at least it means we haven't fallen asleep or frozen on the controls!

Congratulations from me too!!

As for talking through procedures.... I do the same when on my own. Gives me some reassurance that i know the drills.

But whilst dual..... I get told to shut up :sad:

hugh flung_dung
19th Feb 2007, 16:58
It's never possible to know what (or whether:) ) a stude is thinking so it's useful when they go through their checks out loud or, for example, say what they are thinking when flying the approach (i.e. speed's good, angle's good, line-up's good - or something like that). It can help the FI in many phases of flight but it needs to be controlled and concise or else it can get in the way of monitoring the R/T to build a picture of where other people are. Also, it can add to the stude's workload so FIs wouldn't normally ask someone to do it.
HFD

Katherine Alexandra
19th Feb 2007, 19:44
Well done all new pilots :) it is the most amazing feeling, especially knowing that your instructor has that much faith in your ability!

My first solo (last September, at 13:30 hours) was 10 minutes of me swearing to myself, occasionally interrupted by a radio transmission, as my darling instructor hadn't even mentioned solo until he got out of the aircraft...ever! That said, he didn't even come and meet me outside. His first comment was "Second landing was the best" ...yup, I bounced :rolleyes:.

ALEXA
20th Feb 2007, 00:12
Wait till you do the QXC! Knocks spots off first solo.

spitfires rule
20th Feb 2007, 00:37
Congrats :ok: I just went solo last monday and it was amazing! Im grinning right now just remembering mine :}. wessex boy I do the same thing I talk to myself out loud aswell.

PA38-Pilot
20th Feb 2007, 05:39
For my first solo, we did a couple of touch and go's, and there was NO traffic at all at the airport. So... we land, the CFI steps down, I call for taxi... and while Im going to the runway, 3 more aircraft appear from nowhere to do pattern work...

So I take off, go on downwind... number 3 for landing. The first aircraft lands, and tower asks the number 2 to continue on downwind so I could land first :P I laughed... said thanks to the tower controller and landed.

Good luck with the rest of your flights, now go and get the PPL ;)

flying_tom
20th Feb 2007, 09:27
I went solo for the first time two weeks ago. Talked to myself all the way around, saying all the things my instructor would be saying to me. Backtraking to take off on my own for the first time was the biggest adrenaline rush ever. Even better than passing my driving test. Got a half hour of solo consolidation the next day as well. Still haven't stopped grinning madly. :)

To fly or not to fly. What a stupid question!