PDA

View Full Version : Flt Deck Management

Capt Groper
10th Feb 2007, 14:50
FLT Deck Management

I would like to find out what Airlines in the US (Delta, United, US Airways etc) train by way of Flt Deck Management in Normal and Non-normal situations.

Specifically, is the Captain to assume the role of PF whilst conducting problem solving and decision making processes.

I've heard a rumor that Captains generally take over because of legality reasons?

If you are kind enought to reply could you indicate which Airline your comments refer.

Many thanks :) :) :)

wileydog3
11th Feb 2007, 00:26
Now retired but we adopted a policy that once the immediate action items were taken care of the Capt gave the airplane to the F/O to fly. The Capt gave the F/O instructions (go to the alternate, hold here at dept point, etc), the F/O programmed the autoflight and the Captain ran the checklists.

This worked exceptionally well because the F/O was uninterrupted flying the airplane, the Captain worked on the decision making and tasks while keeping th F/O informed on what s/he was doing. The workload distribution and focus was much better.

For the most part, we had done away with memory action items with the studies that showed that too often crews missed steps if relying on memory and that only made the problem worse. So, if it was so important to have a very set procedure, it was TOO important to rely on memory, especially at a stressed moment.

For example, Captain flying.. on takeoff, engine catches on fire after V1. Crew climbs to safe altitude, cleans up, shuts engine down using checklist.. at that point, the Capt gives the airplane to the F/O, Capt assumes role of decision maker, autoflight flies the airplane, F/O programs and monitors the autoflight. Works VERY well...

Of course, the big problem was getting people to initially buy into the concept. Once they got over the ego of the Capt not flying, it worked well but if the F/O can't keep it blue side up with the autoflight, there is something very wrong with the training program...

Capt Groper
11th Feb 2007, 01:01
wileydog3

Thankyoiu for your reply.

I would expect any sensible training Dept. to adopt the procedure aptly described.

But one question, from which Airline are you retire?

Capt Groper

wileydog3
11th Feb 2007, 02:58
I retired from USAirways in DEC04...