PDA

View Full Version : Ymml Rwy 16 Ndb Approach ????

command
10th Feb 2007, 02:11
I was just wondering if anyone could clear something up for me.

The melbourne NDB approach for rwy 16 has 2 NDB's (Bolinda and Rockdale) . Are you legally allowed to conduct the approach if one of the NDB's is unservicable.
the link to the approach is below,
cheers.

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com.au/publications/pending/dap/MMLLO01-107.pdf

Dream Land
10th Feb 2007, 03:25
Holding is predicated on the VOR (340 radial), I would assume that ROC is the only NDB required.

zlin77
10th Feb 2007, 03:36
It used to be called the RWY 16 Twin locator approach: in those days you needed both ndb's serviceable...don't know the current state of affairs.

Dream Land
10th Feb 2007, 03:40
On further review I will reverse my first opinion and guess that BOL is the NDB that is required, will wait for a definitive answer. :confused:

huckleberry58
14th Feb 2007, 09:33
I took a look at the jepp chart. According to that, BOL is required as it is 'shadowed'

jumpuFOKKERjump
14th Feb 2007, 11:31
I'd say you need both, like at Avalon:

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/current/dap/MAVLO01-107.pdf

lemel
6th Feb 2008, 06:48
Hi all,

I have to do this particular approach for my qf sim. i was wondering if anyone could tell me the correct way to fly the approach?

The way i see it is that you track 160 from bolinda and to rockdale, then once passed rockdale, you will be tracking 160 from both stations. you should desend down to your mda and commence the missed approach at 1 dme from the ml vor.

what is the point of having both of the ndb's??? wouldnt it just make things more complicated?

lemel

Bullethead
6th Feb 2008, 07:48
G'day Gents,

In the top right corner of the chart it says,

Navaid RQ
DME BOL ROC

so that answers that one.

Here is a response from the CASA B744 FOI when the question was asked,

“Gentlemen,
As you recall, we were discussing the Melbourne NDB Rwy 16 approach procedure, and whether the approach is designed on Bolinda (BOL) alone, or both BOL and Rockdale (ROC).

I have spoken to the CASA Instrument Procedures Designer, and offer you the following information. The name of the chart changed from a twin locator,
or twin NDB because the ICAO naming convention changed. The convention does not allow for an NDB/NDB type classification, so the singular is used.
The Jeppesen chart contains a Pre-Approach Briefing Information section which is a strip that gathers information from the chart in the one place, and in a sequence that forms a convenient briefing format. The history of this was to meet a noted deficiency in worldwide standard procedures for pre-approach briefing.

The first box in the Briefing Strip is the “Primary Navaid frequency and identifier”. Because Melbourne NDB Rwy 16 chart contains NDB BOL 362 in this box, it has been the catalyst for the interpretation that the procedure
was based on the use of BOL alone. The data in this strip is for information, and is not meant to define the design of the approach.

Jeppesen charts are reproductions of the State provided information, also shown on State produced charts. (The Qantas modifications to the State charts are done in accordance with Australian and international regulations).
In Australia the State charts are the charts produced in the Aeronautical Information Publications (AIPs). The AIP chart for Melbourne RWY 16 NDB does not show that the procedure is based on BOL alone, and in fact it is clear that both BOL and ROC are part of the procedure.

The CASA Instrument Procedures Designer has assured me that both BOL and ROC are an integral part of the approach, and should be used in the same way that they were when the approach was labelled a “Twin Locator”. This also applies to the Avalon RWY 18 NDB in that both Ripley (RPY) and Avalon (AV) are part of the approach.

Regards,
Alf Gloster”

Regards,
BH.