PDA

View Full Version : Converting CAA CPL to JAR License

deputy dawg
8th Feb 2007, 10:23
Not sure if this is the correct forum, but please advise if you know the answer.

I currently have a [old] UK CAA CPL license with a type rating initially gained in 2005 but need to convert this to a JAR license.

Have spoken to the CAA re conversion and am advised that I need a valid type rating to convert, which I advised was, although they state that it is not a valid type rating.

My understanding is that a TR is valid for 7 years from date of issue, irrespective of LPC/OPC renewals.

Anyone care to comment before I submit forms to the CAA and risk my money.

Thank you.

Mods - please advise if this is the wrong forum and move appropriately.

farmer jo
8th Feb 2007, 10:40
For sure you will need a current CAA licence with a lpc within the last 12 months, otherwise you are wasting your money !

maxalt
8th Feb 2007, 23:47
I had multiple types on my old licence. When I switched to JAA they deleted them all - except the one I was current on. Quite a nasty surprise!
If you don't need it for a job, don't waste your money.

davebuckley
9th Feb 2007, 00:58
Odd. Although I stand to be corrected, for a CPL you don't need a Type rating, a Class rating ( such as SEP !) will suffice - that, after all is how most JAA CPL's are initially issued. I can't remember now, but were not the old UK CPL licences non-expiring? The JAA ones only last 5 years - I had to fork out £120 to renew mine :*