PDA

View Full Version : BA and Extra baggage

Diver_Dave
8th Feb 2007, 05:51
Oh dear.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6341129.stm

BA to charge for every additional hold baggage item bat the first.

Well that's me and every other diver off of BA.

Even if we do come in under the allowance.

Obviously the Lo-Co's haven't been available due to their restrictions.

Oh and as far as we're aware Scuba kit doesn't count as Sporting equipment.
(I did thhink about packing my stuff in a Golf Bag) :)

Have fun today with the snow (If it does)

Regards

DaveA

RevMan2
8th Feb 2007, 06:54
Sounds pretty logical.

23kg per bag

1 in Economy
2 in Business
3 in First

Gives them better cost management, lets them negotiate handling contracts with ease, provides for easier capacity management, standardises and simplifies excess charges and everyone knows where they are.

Good thinking, Willie.

Managing the process and "creating the best possible airport experience" - as BA says - is going to be a stretch. They'll need queue combers in great numbers and mobile POS devices if they want to streamline check-in but if they get it right, everyone's going to follow.

I can see process management people elsewhere getting strips ripped off them by their CEOs for not coming up with the idea themselves....

Diver_Dave
8th Feb 2007, 07:04
My arguement being that they're charging twice.

Assuming the allowance is evenly split between 2 bags
booking in advance.

Dom = £3.82Kg
S/H = £7.64Kg
L/H = £15.27Kg

This is approx 2/3 of the Excess baggage costs.

DaveA

jewitts
8th Feb 2007, 07:13
How does it work if you fly to the US or Canada from say Paris or Brussels? Do you pay the excess on the European leg or not? Link this to the new take-off tax from the UK and I suspect that I won't be visiting Heathrow in the future. Bosses at Air France, Lufthansa and Swiss should be grateful.

mocoman
8th Feb 2007, 07:39
:*
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6341129.stm

As a regular traveller who has to go abroad with tools that are essential to my job function in addition to my clothes etc; I will be choosing another airline for ALL of my travel arrangements.

I don't care if I will only be checking-in one bag; BA you have lost my business while this charge is in place.

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

llondel
8th Feb 2007, 08:08
Ah well, BA were never my favourite airline anyway. They've just slipped even further down the scale from "OK" to "preferably avoid".

Fargoo
8th Feb 2007, 08:13
I work for BA and think we've just shot ourselves in both feet with this one.
23kg in one bag - not acceptable for a full service carrier IMO.
:=

Haven't a clue
8th Feb 2007, 08:26
IIRC the original plan was to allow all pax 2 pieces of handbaggage with no weight limits save that you had to be able to put in the overhead locker unaided; this presumably intended as some compensation for the reductions in hold baggage allowed weight. Then along came the extra security measures in August and the subsequent introduction of a one bag limit. BA delayed the introduction of this hold baggage limitation until the longer term hand baggage alowances became clear.

Now the limit is being introduced. although BA on their website say that for a time they are not strictly enforcing the limit "to allow our customers to become familiar with the change"!! Let's see whether that turns out to be true.

The problem surely is that many pax especially on their return sector won't have access to scales to check their bag weight until they get to the airport, by which time it will be too late.

RevMan2
8th Feb 2007, 08:39
This is an easier way of addressing the non-collection of xbag charges.

If BA (or anyone) announces that they're going to apply the current rules strictly, it'll get no media attention and they'll have a shambles (more of a shambles?) at check-in, with howls of "But on my last flight..."

This way, they get loads of attention and if they promote the benefits effectively (which I haven't seen so far, actually), most people will see that they're not being disadvantaged.

Fargoo

What proportion of Economy pax currently check in more than 1 bag?

What proportion of Economy pax are currently charged excess baggage?

They're going to have to manage the issue of what to do with the 5 (or whatever) kg that needs to be removed from the overweight piece to bring it down to 23k.
You'll probably be able to buy standardised cardboard boxes or something. (Not that BA appears to have thought of that yet..)

Jewitts

If you're through-checked, the US/Canada rules should apply.

Andy_S
8th Feb 2007, 08:42

I think you're correct. I always take 2 suitcases on a 2 week holiday. I think this is reasonable, and I don't fancy lugging round a single monster size suitcase.

Bottom line is that if this is enforced, I will simply not fly BA.

BCALBOY
8th Feb 2007, 08:45
This has been so mishandled by BA PR .
Charges have always been levied for baggage in excess of the normal
allowance. This was based on a rate per kg ..the rate was 1% of the F fare on the route concerned . If you were flying to OZ this meant a bag
weighing 20kgs wud cost £500-600. This new system simplifys things and
also means its a lot cheaper to carry excess. Instaed of being seen as
a big positive - which it is - it is being viewed as BA taking something away !
Its not like LOCO charging for bags. the normal bag allowance still applys
on BA ....its just if you need to carry over and above the allowance ths charge has been drastically reduced on a lot of routes .

Diver_Dave
8th Feb 2007, 09:09
BCALBOY,

In that case the News article is TOTALLY wrong.

It states that the charge will be PER-BAG over and above
one REGARDLESS of under or over limit.

I totally understand excess charges,

If you see my note above you'll be charged at approx
2/3 the excess rate for baggage WITHIN the existing 23Kg
limit should you choose to take more than one item to be checked.

This is outwith the implemented / stopped by security / proposed
Cabin Allowances.

HTH

DaveA

CaptJ
8th Feb 2007, 09:09
Don't know what all the fuss is about. Just reporters looking to misrepresent an issue to make a better story.

The "standard" wheely bag allowed as handbaggege can easily hold 10KG and I have had 12KG on mine using easyjet, its not even the maximum size allowed. Coupled with a hold allowance of 23Kg, (which is not strictly enforced up to 25Kg anyway), it is more than adequate for a trip of any duration. Some people are inclined to carry far too much baggage around and it just adds to costs everywhere.

Someone mentioned that they take two bags for convenience. What's convenient about lugging two suitcases and handbaggage (+ duty free?) around a busy airport?

C152_driver
8th Feb 2007, 09:10
BA's ability to commit commercial suicide never ceases to amaze me.

They're a LoCo airline in everything other then ticket price.

Andy_S
8th Feb 2007, 09:13
the normal bag allowance still applys
on BA

That's not how it's being reported. According to the BBC:
"Until now customers have been allowed to check in more than one bag as long as they did not go over weight restrictions. The fees, which come in from Tuesday 13 February, will apply even if the combined weight of the two bags is below the allowance."
The way I read this is that you can be below the weight allowance, yet STILL be charged if you check in more than 1 bag.
I can't see how this is positive.

Globaliser
8th Feb 2007, 09:14
The most important current fact about the baggage policy is this (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bgpolicy/public/en_gb#allowance):-To allow our customers to become familiar with our new baggage policy and weight limitations, we will continue to accept bags at check-in weighing up to 32kgs for travel completed by 30 September 2007.Long may the exception continue, until the 23 kg limit is permanently binned.

Globaliser
8th Feb 2007, 09:18
The way I read this is that you can be below the weight allowance, yet STILL be charged if you check in more than 1 bag.

I can't see how this is positive.This is right.

But in principle it's no different from the current piece count system. You're allowed 2 bags at up to 32 kg each. But bring 3 bags at 10 kg each, and you're liable for an extra bag's charge.

IMHO, the real difficulty arises not from the change to a piece count system all round (which will always have this problem somewhere) but from the low allowance adopted (23 kg), plus the total inflexibility that comes from setting that as the absolute maximum single bag limit, plus having "per bag" flat rate as the only method of charging for excess.

It means that if you arrive with one bag at 24 kg and for some reason you can't arrange to carry on the excess 1 kg, you're in for the entire £120 for that 1 kg excess (in addition to the cost of buying a second bag to put the 1 kg excess into). That is the main thing wrong with this policy.

Andy_S
8th Feb 2007, 09:27
Someone mentioned that they take two bags for convenience. What's convenient about lugging two suitcases and handbaggage (+ duty free?) around a busy airport?

That was my comment. I actually find it easier to move around with two medium size cases than one extremely large, heavy one. I don't believe I do carry too much (and I don't think it's any of your business what I choose to travel with); there are practical reasons for doing as I do if you're travelling for a couple of weeks. Separating clean and dirty clothes for example, not having to pack everything absurdly tightly.

At the end of the day, I'm the paying customer. And if you can't accommodate my way of travelling, then you won't get my business.

jerboy
8th Feb 2007, 09:31
How does it work if you fly to the US or Canada from say Paris or Brussels? Do you pay the excess on the European leg or not? Link this to the new take-off tax from the UK and I suspect that I won't be visiting Heathrow in the future. Bosses at Air France, Lufthansa and Swiss should be grateful.
You will receive the highest baggage allowance on the itinerary for all flights. E.g. if you're flying CDG-LHR-JFK, you will be allowed 2 bags (or whatever the LHR-JFK allows) on your CDG-LHR sector. However if its booked as CDG-LHR with no onward conx you will only be able to take one bag free - assuming you're booked in Traveller.

moku
8th Feb 2007, 09:55
The thing that BA has managed to avoid being mentioned in most media this morning is that it is a double hit. Not only do they start the flat rate fee per extra bag but also managed to go from 32kg per bag to only 23kg!!
This was all due to start last year but BA put it on hold with the introduction of hand baggage restrictions.

I also believe that they have shot themselves in the foot. Vote with your feet!!

M.

mocoman
8th Feb 2007, 10:29
Some people are inclined to carry far too much baggage around

And so how do you suggest I arrange my luggage when I may be away from home for upto three months? :ugh:

On the flip-side if I am travelling for only a few days then I will pack a small suitcase weighing 10kg or so but may also need to carry a toolcase weighing a further 10kg or so.

How is the additional £120/240 charge justifiable in these circumstances?

It makes me feel like packing my luggage upto the maximum weight allowance with bricks on EVERY trip even if I could travel hand-baggage only.:*

CaptJ
8th Feb 2007, 11:07
Nobody has cared to mention the reason for the 23KG limit. I suppose none of the poor lackeys that hump our baggage around frequent this site.
It's a H&S issue! Few peoples spines can sustain the stresses of throwing 32Kg bags around for very long.

Even the American airlines are looking to introduce limits on size and number of bags for this reason alone, never mind the savings.

If you want to travel with lots of baggage then you can pay for it. What could be fairer.

Andy_S
8th Feb 2007, 11:16
I suppose none of the poor lackeys that hump our baggage around frequent this site. It's a H&S issue! Few peoples spines can sustain the stresses of throwing 32Kg bags around for very long.
Right. So surely they'd much rather throw around two of my bags at half the weight each??
If you want to travel with lots of baggage then you can pay for it. What could be fairer.
I already pay for my luggage to be transported. I object to being charged more for travelling with the same weight of luggage simply because I choose to split that weight between two bags.

gms1991
8th Feb 2007, 11:42
240 pounds, isn't that how much it costs for a return flight to JFK? If so, it is worth it to take another pax and they can carry the extra bag!

Short haul at 120 pounds? Definitely worth it to carry another person, can be upto 50 pounds less!

Could look good for BMI on the shorthaul routes from LHR!

zed3
8th Feb 2007, 11:42
Shot its self in the foot ? Head morelike . After flight cancellations and all the rest , NO MORE BA . Read that WW . How is it that managers can be so STUPID ? What's more , what happened to service ? It's the customer , STUPID . (To paraphrase Bil Clinton).

PAXboy
8th Feb 2007, 11:47
I think that we all know that this is nothing to do >directly< with luggage. It is about what the accountants are pleased to call 'Revenue Streams'.

Since pax do not like to pay more money on the ticket, they have to find ways of charging us more. The old route of fuel surcharge still works for most carriers but charging us for things that were previously included is the main way for them to go.

Food
Extra leg room
Extra wide seat
Check-in and Priority check-in
Luggage
Entertainment (headsets were chargable and may be again one day)
??? Fill in your (sensible) suggestion here!

Glamgirl
8th Feb 2007, 12:05
As this thread is about BA and extra baggage charges....

I need to point out that we don't charge for food, extra leg room, wider seats (unless it's in a different cabin which means it's an upgrade), entertainment (incl headphones), check in and priority check in/boarding. Other airlines do charge for these but we don't.

The weight limit, as someone else pointed out, is to do with health and safety. Can you imagine loading and unloading 130 bags weighing around 30kg per short haul aircraft you work on? I chat with a lot of our loaders and most of them have at some point been off work with back pain. And before you ask, they are all trained in manual handling. I know I'd rather load lighter bags (and that's not because I'm a girl) and avoid serious injury to myself.

I don't know all the inns and outs of this policy, but I'll do some digging around and find out exactly what it means. I can understand that if you are required to carry tools and such heavy items this policy is frustrating, but surely for regular holiday pax and business pax 23kg isn't too little? Unless you're going to Siberia in the middle of winter of course...;)

Llademos
8th Feb 2007, 12:18
Diver Dave,
At present, your diving equipment doesn't count as sporting equipment.
However, the new regs (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ba6.jsp/sportingequipment/public/en_gb)do ... I also understand (but can't be 100%) that for diving equipment the weight limit on your sport bag is increased considerably as long as you give 24hr notice
Oh, and the media have managed to totally mislead on this. The '£240' assumes two people, excess bag each, and not pre-booked (where the price is £84)
May be worth checking before you write BA off. I know that the changes make it the first airline of choice for sporting weapon users.

James 1077
8th Feb 2007, 12:29
I totally understand LoCos charging for more than 1 bag as it is a good cost saving and money making policy. Furthermore people travelling LoCo are generally only going short haul and for a short period of time. However somebody like BA doing the same is utterly rediculous.

When I go abroad for a long period of time I like to take two bags as it is far more convenient with washing etc. Furthermore it is always good to take a spare bag for all the shopping that you do when you are away. :)

BA could justify this charge if you got 2 bags for free but 1 bag? Rediculous; and at that price it is even more rediculous.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I am not flying BA again until they sort themselves out ... it isn't like they run a monopoly on any of their routes!

I would like to add however that I do understand dropping the weight limit to 23kgs as really heavy bags wouldn't be much fun for the handlers getting them in and out of the planes; but why not 23 kgs across 2 bags (which makes it even better for the handlers as then they get just over 10kgs each rather than 23kgs).

My advice, buy a golf bag and pack your clothes into that - then you can call it sporting equipment and take two bags! :O

Andy_S
8th Feb 2007, 12:33
we don't charge for food, extra leg room, wider seats (unless it's in a different cabin which means it's an upgrade), entertainment (incl headphones), check in and priority check in/boarding. Other airlines do charge for these but we don't.
Are you comparing BA with lo-co shorthaul? If so, you should be comparing them with their full service competitors who DO offer those things at no extra cost. Sometimes in excess of BA's own product......
surely for regular holiday pax and business pax 23kg isn't too little?
Agreed. 23kg is fine. My gripe is with being penalised for staying within that limit, but splitting the load over more than 1 bag or suitcase.

Railgun
8th Feb 2007, 12:33
On some routes pax will be saving money.

Diver_Dave
8th Feb 2007, 12:40
Llademos

Thanks,

I was using BA (GB) on the MAN-MLA run last year as they
kindly offered to match the AM extra (30Kg) allowance. I think
it was 4 flight in total.

I had a nice letter from Customer Services asking if I was happy
at the end of the season and to contact them this year when the
new season started.

I wrote in Nov last year just to check it was still ok and got a one
line note back saying "Due to new baggage allowances, we will
no logner be able to honour that commitment."

AM just said 'OK'.

My points above do not relate really to physical sizes of
allowances (23Kg 32Kg).

I can just get my diving kit in at about 23Kg with *Some* clothes.

It's the fact that they give me a *FREE* allowance of 23Kg then charge
me to split it between two bags, which in any case HAS to be better
from the manual handling POV.

The fact they wrote and said they'd match the AM allowances, allowed
me to do it 4 times then gave a very abrupt NO is by the bye.

BA / GB to MLA was nice although it's now gone to the BACON
pay for everything model an on a 3 1/2 hr flight I'd rather pay the same,
go 'Full service' with AM and get the extra baggage allowance.

It will be interesting to see how this effects the Malta / Cyprus / Crete routes this summer.

DaveA

Glamgirl
8th Feb 2007, 13:11
Andy S, I was simply clarifying something in Pax's posting, which insinuated that BA charge for any on-board products. Again, I need to explain: BA do NOT charge for any of the items mentioned in the earlier post, whether a short or long haul flight.

jack_essex
8th Feb 2007, 13:12
This has not just been announced. It has been on the BA website for months. The newspapers just make it sound like BA have told passengers a week before the reductions start.

If you are flying from say London to the US in economy you are still allowed two bags each weighing 23 kilos at no extra cost. 46 kilos is an awful lot of luggage.

jack_essex
8th Feb 2007, 13:26
Are you forgetting that on routes to the USA and many other long haul destinations, economy passengers can still check in two bags each weighing 23 kilos at no extra cost? That is still 46 kilos for one person. Why would you possibly need any more? And on short haul routes, 23 kilos is still a lot compared to other airlines.

And this has also been on the BA website now for months. It is hardly as if BA have suddenly dropped this on passengers.

James 1077
8th Feb 2007, 13:40
Yes, luggage limits on Trans-Atlantics are fine; except I am not going to be travelling to the US anytime soon and other operators are cheaper to Canada.

As it is I am off to Canada on Saturday and Air Canada also give me a 46kg allowance so it isn't like BA are any better anyway.

Next time I fly long haul I will be off to Asia and I can assure you I won't be flying BA unless they start sorting themselves out and realise that customers are able to go elsewhere if they get better service!

apaddyinuk
8th Feb 2007, 14:11
Absolutely mad...crazy, nuts, stupid, daft!!! Whoever came up with this policy should be marched out of waterside and thrown in that big pond outside the front door.
How can they justify that much money when the likes of aerlingus only charge between €4-16 depending on when the bag is booked and where you are going! Its daft!
But no doubt they will blame the empty planes on us cabin crew and not their stupid baggage policy!!! :ugh:
And whats the point in having a handbaggage policy that says you can bring a bag of any reasonable weight as long as you can lift it yourself into a locker (and one additional breifcase/laptop or ladies handbag) when security in the UK wont let you take any of it!!! OOOHHH,,,,I SO MAD!

Vortex what...ouch!
8th Feb 2007, 14:13
Well it may have been on their website for months but they have hardly done much to inform their customers.

Crazy - supply an inferior product to your competitors and your competitors will take your customers - what idiots thought this one up? Don't pi$$ off your customers, they pay your salary. Duh!!!

KLM will be getting my money from now on.

judge11
8th Feb 2007, 14:44
You are witnessing the 'Ryanairisation' of what was once, and I emphasise once, the World's favourite airline. Are Walsh and O'Leary related or is it simply that they come from the same gene pool?

CaptJ
8th Feb 2007, 14:54
It goes against the grain for me to say and a postive note is unusual wher BA is concerned of late. But on balance, the new regulations suit me and my family very fine thank you.
Including my wife who usually is well past the Gold level every year.

The benefits -
No Hand baggage limit. Hurrah! (Pinched from easyJet, but thanks anyway)
23Kg limit, more than adeqaute for any personal travel.
I don't ruin someones else health.
BA keeps it's costs down reflected in fares and share price.
I don'y pay for others kitchen sinks

The downside.
I have to pack a plastic bag for dirty undies. Boo Hoo Hoo.

So.. IMHO if anyone wants extra they can just pay the fairly reasonable charges or upgrade to business.

172driver
8th Feb 2007, 15:06
23kg in one bag - not acceptable for a full service carrier IMO.

Couldn't agree more. Will, unless absolutely unavoidable, not use any more.

Nobody has cared to mention the reason for the 23KG limit. I suppose none of the poor lackeys that hump our baggage around frequent this site.
It's a H&S issue! Few peoples spines can sustain the stresses of throwing 32Kg bags around for very long.

Well, if you don't like it, get another job! Sorry, but I am getting very tired of H&S constantly being used as an excuse for everything and anything in this country.

theskyboy
8th Feb 2007, 18:44
...went on ba.com to check my luggage allowance for a flight to Salzburg (with snowboard in tow).

I can book extra luggage at £84 in advance or £120 on the day, alternatively I can upgrade to Club Europe For £50 each way and get a more generous allowance in the process.

Not particularly well thought out, or is it???

As far as H&S is concerned fair do's, people are so happy to sue these days, the less chances to have accidents at work the better.

Final 3 Greens
8th Feb 2007, 19:07
BA - world mastery at bollixing themselves, be it the non execs free flights affair, (nearly) revolting CC, bag allowance, bags backlog, catering mess-up, summer disruption etc.

The good LGW gang are not to be compared with the mad lot at Heathrow, but face the same consquences sadly.

Yesterday, I booked a F and J to/from DXB (LON outbound.)

Hard to choose between EK and EY, but didn't even consider BA.

Barts
8th Feb 2007, 22:10
Ok, read the whole thread so far and some off you have :mad: me off!

Up until recently I worked in the loading section for BA. I have spent a good 5 years lifting other peoples baggage around in the harsh environments of an aircraft hold and I feel that some of you should get to grips with the fact that your bag is not the only bag that weighs 25kg plus, there are on average another 100 bags on your flight that weigh the same, or more.

Everybody who is SLF up until now has had a good deal with excess baggage on BA out of LGW ( Can't speak for anybody else because haven't worked at those stations).

In recent years our operation has been under pressure to perform like the Loco's, which means turning aircraft in 30-45 minutes for the purpose of high utilization.
That means getting the cost down to offer lower air fairs to passengers.

I have seen some very nasty situations where loaders have suffered severe injuries due to individual items of baggage being overweight.

32kg is not the allowance, it is the maximum you can pack in to one case.
You should still be charged for excess above 23kg but I bet any of you SLF have not incured this charge.

This new baggage policy is a directive that the HSE has pushed for in recent years to reduce the number of injuries suffered from this kind of work.
So the tosser on this thread who thinks that the HSE is an excuse for the damage done from SLF, who pack there bags with no consideration for people who have to lift these items, should come and try turning an aircraft themselfs.

we can all say if you don't like it get another job. If you don't like the excess baggage policy fly someone else! Its not the answer.

I have asked our senior management on numerous occasions why do you not collect excess baggage revenue?
No answer. In other words check-in agents do not want the hassle of confrontation with the passenger over an extra 5-7kg.
A labourer on a building site is not allowed to lift more than 25kg, so why are we expected to lift more than that sitting on our knees and slightly hunched forward.

The baggage policy has always been 23kg, the only reason 32kg came about because people flying to Africa were packing more than that.
Everybody then took it for granted that they could pack a max of 32kg. Not true!

So thank you BA for listening to those at the forefront, its been a long time coming and hopefully this will reduce the injuries suffered from overweight baggage packed by inconsiderate SLF.:ugh:

mocoman
8th Feb 2007, 22:58
Barts,

let me start by stating that I agree with HSE legislation that items over 23kg should not be allowed.

My problem with the announcement is that suddenly the baggage allowance is no longer 23kg, it is 23kg in ONE BAG AND ONE BAG ONLY.

If I, as SLF, have a total allowance of 23kg then why should I be penalised if I choose, by virtue of convenience or necessity, to pack that 23kg into two bags?

Surely having two x 11.5kg bags to deal with must make your life easier?

BA said that flights to the US, Canada, the Caribbean, Nigeria, Brazil and Mexico would be exempt from the new charges to bring policy "in line with the local government regulations".

And what does this bit mean? Why do "local government regulations" prevent BA from enforcing this on these routes?

Cluster One
8th Feb 2007, 23:04
Barts, I cannot disagree with anything you are saying, but would you rather load two bags at 11/12Kg each or a single bag at 23Kg?

So 'sporting equipment' counts as a special case. Why? What about Musicians carrying their instruments, Engineers (such as myself) carrying tools and/or test equipment (that are not permitted as hand baggage), and any other similar example that has been mentioned in this thread?

Old Bus Driver
8th Feb 2007, 23:05
Barts and others,
The intervention of the HSE in limiting bag weights to 23Kg is a good idea and will hopefully prevent more lifting related injuries amongst baggage handlers.
However what I object to is BA profiting from the baggage weight reduction. Let me explain - Last year I flew transatlantic in economy and the ticket price allowed me to check two bags weighing 32Kg each, a total of 64 Kg.
Now flying the same route for the same priced ticket in economy I can only check one bag of 23Kg. So for the same cost I have lost 41Kg of baggage capacity.
Aircraft fuel burn for a given cruise altitude and speed are a function of weight. So BA, by implementing this policy, are potentially saving the fuel cost of carrying an additional 41Kg per long haul economy passenger.
BA should have lowered the weight per bag to 23Kg but they should still have allowed a longhaul economy passenger to check a total of 64Kg in several bags. The other alternative was to reduce the ticket price so as to pass the fuel burn cost reduction on to the passenger.
BA failed to do either and the passenger is left paying the same price for a reduced level of service while BA profits from the reduction in fuel burn.
It's enough to make you fly Virgin. ;)

slim_slag
8th Feb 2007, 23:26
And what does this bit mean? Why do "local government regulations" prevent BA from enforcing this on these routes?Those routes aren't yet deregulated and a proper competitive market doesn't exist. This government protection is probably what makes BA as succesful as it is. When these routes are deregulated then you probably won't need to be concerned about BA baggage charges because you will have a far greater choice of airlines than exist today. You will have locos fighting for your money and we passengers will be a lot better off as a result.

mocoman
8th Feb 2007, 23:46
a proper competitive market doesn't exist

SS,
sorry but I don't quite understand the rationale here.:sad:

On a deregulated route all carriers are able to sell tickets at whatever level they deem to be to their advantage. Therefore the locos price their passage as low as possible and make profit upon the 'extras'. The majors rely on their historical reputation and kudos to charge a higher carriage charge and forego some of the extras.

I'm trying NOT to reach the conclusion that the non deregulated routes are subject to a form of price-fixing.

Please educate me further as to why this should make such a difference.:confused:

slim_slag
9th Feb 2007, 00:16
Well, the DTI were investigating BA on suspicion of attempting to price fix their fuel surcharge with a phone call to Virgin, but that's not the only anti competitive thing I am talking about.

What is also anti-competitive IMO are the bilateral agreements which restrict the number of airlines and the routes they can fly from country A to country B. The only UK airlines allowed to fly from LHR to the USA are BA and VS. The only American airlines are UA and AA. If you want to fly on BMI you need to go to Manchester even though BMI have slots at LHR. Why do you think Ryanair tried to buy Aer Lingus? Maybe to get their US routes?

So you are allowed to take two bags to the US because the government bilateral agreement says so. BA have to let you take two bags, they have no choice. Look up Bermuda II on wiki.

The EU are trying to put a stop to all this nonsense but it seems like there are plenty of barriers being put in their way. It has to happen though, then Ryanair with their low cost base will be charging £50 for a flight and £10 for your bag (+ a couple of hundred in taxes). Can only be a good thing, IMO.

But I can see why BA are doing this, they need the money. They have huge pension commitments, well paid employees and a tired fleet. If they want to fight off any locos on their protected routes they need some cash in the bank, so they have to stick it to their pax.

red 7
9th Feb 2007, 03:34
James
Either you are anti BA or you are an idiot
For your trip to Asia, have a look at JAL. ANA. Thai, Singapore and others, their economy baggage allowance is more restrictive than BA's.
One bag of 20kg, plus a hand bag of 10kg.s or less
So you lose 3kg in the hold and as much as you can lift on board!
It seems that with the exception of some of the bigger bag weights, ie 32kg, they seem to match what most flag carriers do and are leading the way, look for many other carriers to follow suit, as health and safety seem to dictate everything these days

Old Bus driver

Read the policy before you jump in!
You still can take two bags on transatlantics, just 23kg's each plus a sporting goods bag on top of that up to 23kg
How much do you need!

Theskyboy

Your snowboard bag counts as a free extra so load it up to 23kg's and voila 2 bags, 46kg's

five zero by ortac
9th Feb 2007, 07:08
As an amateur photographer and regular traveller, I travel with a wheelie bag (normally 17kg) and a camera tripod in its own bag (5kgs).
With some BA flights booked for Feb & March, I called BA Cust' Svs to enquire if I would have to pay the extra £120 for the tripod. After a short wait while they referred it to someone, they came back and said YES, I would have to pay !!!! I can feel a letter to WW coming on.
Seems very unfair, when you can take a golf bag for nothing. :rolleyes:
So, sorry BA, you've lost another regular customer. :*

Final 3 Greens
9th Feb 2007, 08:15
50 by ORTAC

How much does a cheap golf bag cost? :}

pacer142
9th Feb 2007, 09:10
Are you forgetting that on routes to the USA and many other long haul destinations, economy passengers can still check in two bags each weighing 23 kilos at no extra cost? That is still 46 kilos for one person. Why would you possibly need any more? And on short haul routes, 23 kilos is still a lot compared to other airlines.

Not at all - I personally would have no problem with the policy were it to be 2, 2, 3 (i.e. 2 bags of 23kg in economy). 23kg is pretty heavy anyway.

OTOH, this is another good reason not to fly BA, if their appallingly cramped economy class, surly service and high fares weren't already enough.

A2QFI
9th Feb 2007, 09:13
SFAIK people are already avoiding LHR like the plague ( weather, strikes, bagggage problems) , either for commencing flights or interlining (is that the right phrase?) BA doesn't have a monopoly on many routes and I am sure that people will not tolerate this high handed financial manipulation of fares and charges. People will avoid LHR and BA if they have a choice and many previous posters have already indicated that these are their feelings. It looks as though a golf bag full of clothes would beat the restrictions!

Bluejay
9th Feb 2007, 09:25
One big mistake that everybody makes is listening to the news or reading the paper and taking what is said as gospel, please understand that alot of the time the media will twist stories in such a way so that you are thinking things that are not actually written, this is how basic information can get blown out of proportion and made worse than it is. Don't forget that the media will not always give the whole story. I am sick and tired of BA being continually slagged off because of the medias failure to give all of the facts.

Anyway to the topic at hand the baggage policy as I understand it is this

1 piece of Hand luggage (DfT requirement) no weight limit, I believe there are additional items that may be carried such as mobility aids etc.

M class travel - (Euro Traveller/World Traveller (on some routes) - 1 piece 23kg (for info there is no real change here except that on European routes pax have always been allowed more than one bag, they were NEVER entitled to more than 23kg)

M Class travel - (World traveller (USA, Canada, Carribean Nigeria and Mexico)) - 2 pieces at 23kg per bag

W Class (World Traveller Plus) and C Class (Club Europe) travel - 2 pieces at 23kg per bag

J Class and F Class Travel (Club WORLD and FIRST) - 3 pieces each at 23kg per bag (this is actually an increase of 5kg per pax)

Domestic Travel - 1 piece at 23kg

Mixed Classes of travel - The higher baggage allowance will be given, I assume this will also mean Domestic/European to Longhaul westbound
Infants are entitled to one free bag plus a collapsible pushchair (all routes all classes)

Heavy Items:
BA will accept one single piece of item up tp 45 kilos (we will charge for 1 extra piece) if it is an item that cannot be split eg a picture,etc.
Anything over 45 kilos will have to go as cargo.

Sporting Equipment - not seen anything in writing yet but I understand that sporting equipment will be carried free of charge, watch out though as there will be a maximum reasonable weight depending on the equipment carried so don't go stuffing your boot bags or your golf club bags with booze!!

Excess baggage charges as I understand are this
Longhaul - £120 (up £45)
European - £60 (excess rate varies depending on route so will be more expensive on some routes but cheaper on others)
Domestic - £30 (up £10ish)

All pax are entitled to a 20% discount as long as the excess is paid BEFORE check in therefore
L/H - £96 (up £21)
S/H - £48 (as above depending on route)
DOM - £24 (up £4 ish)

I apologise if the figures are not wholly accurate as it has been a long time since I charged excess baggage, I am sure that Bealine if he is still about will provide further clarification.

For information the new weight limit has been imposed for health and safety reasons, don't forget it's not just lifting the bags but physically manhandling them in sometimes very cramped conditions (i.e the hold of a narrowbody jet).

OK to sum up then
1. Handluggage reduction in number of pieces but no weight limit
2. You still get a FREE baggage allowance (some LoCos will charge to put a bag in the hold)
3. Some allowances have increased and some decreased all I believe for very good reasons
4. Excess - yes it seems like a hell of a jump in price but then again BA haven't to my knowledge increased excess charges in a long time so there is bound to be a large jump in cost of excess
Hope all of this helps

Just found this on Hand Luggage

Cabin Baggage:

Maximum Size:

56cm x 45cm x 25cm

Maximum Weight:

Unlimited

Number of Pieces Allowed:

1 bag + 1 briefcase or laptop

"Exemptions to Cabin Baggage Limits

We have agreed that the following items will be exempt from size limits for cabin baggage set out in this policy.

Human remains eg: Urn containing ashes
Baby buggies, strollers and car seats
Wheelchairs
Religious articles
Wedding dresses and suit carriers (if could be folded into gauge)
Medical equipment that is required on board or Organ transport
Musical instruments - not bigger than a guitar
Artwork/pictures – Subject to airline approval of available space on board
Hat boxes
Post tubes
Pets (See also additional rules on the carriage of pets)
TV Crews (Camera Equipment)
Queens Messenger or Diplomatic Bags
Items that a passenger intends to reclaim VAT on when airside."

EastMids
9th Feb 2007, 10:14
I think that this is an interesting move by BA...

1. Unlike Ryanair, FlyBe and the like where the charges are relatively low, in BA's case this isn't designed as a revenue raising exercise - quite clearly, the charges are set to discourage travel with that extra baggage

2. Reducing the amount of baggage in the system benefits everyone except the minority who want to carry excess baggage - it reduces the cost of baggage handling to BA, it reduces loading/unloading and baggage wait times, it reduces checkin queues, it has the potential to reduce the number of bags lost, make baggage handling easier, etc.

3. Restricting the number of bags passengers are allowed to check included in the price may have an effect of pushing some BA passengers towards the premium cabins - if a passenger is waivering between WT and WTP, or WTP and Club and knows they want to take more bags, the new rules may swing the decision - in some cases, the difference in fares will be wiped out by the extra baggage costs to travel in the lower cabin

4. Most passengers who want to travel will, once they are aware of the new rules, just accept it and get on with it, travelling with the appropriate number of bags

5. BA is moving towards wanting to be a premium airline - see 3 above. If the consequences of these new rules are that it loses a few infrequent travellers paying the lowest fares in the back cabin, I don't think they'll worry too much about that. Sure there will be some complaints from the "I travel with BA regularly and this is one more reason to defect to Ryan/easy" brigade, but travellers who are in this position are mainly paying marginal/low fares and pandering to these passengers is not really where BA wants to be headed

6. For far too long now, airlines have been giving away too much, especially to those travelling on rock bottom fares. Many of those travelling with extra baggage are the once-a-year passengers travelling on the lowest fares they can get. Relatively few of them will defect (certainly relatively few in terms of the overall number of passengers carried by BA) and in any case many of them are on fares that are loss making, marginal or very low profit and BA won't be too worried by losing them anyway

7. If by some remote chance (unlikely IMHO) these new rules upset any significant number of BA's regular customers - and by that I mean those who have earned top tier in BAEC - then all they have to do is allow BAEC Gold and Silver members extra allowances (as Star Alliance airlines already do) and they'll restore the balance

Anyway, overall I think its a courageous decision for BA to apply these rules, but one that I think is in line with their overall strategy and will ultimately be seen as a good move for the airline's business (if not for a few disgruntled passengers).

Andy

Barts
9th Feb 2007, 10:57
Old bus driver,
Over the last 7 or 8 years I have seen the baggage policy of airlines change, some for the benefit of the customer, and some for the benefit of the airline.

32kg baggage limit on BA came in 4-5 years ago because passengers on certain trade routes to Africa were turning up with engine parts packed in suitcases which took the weight in 1 case up to 50kg plus.

Some of these bags, more often than not, would end up in the bulk hold of a 747. That is a good 14 feet of the ground. The bags were so big that the safety rails had to be dropped on the belts to get them up to the door.
During the loading of one these flights a serious incident occured, the HSE investigated and change was forced apon BA for the protection of its workers. (Funny how someone has to nearly lose their life before the company decides to take action, with a nudge from the HSE!)

So lets make this clear for you.
The company said they will not except ANY bag above 32KG.
32kg is the maximum weight you are able to carry in 1 item.
The limit you are allowed is 23KG without having to pay any excess.
You have not lost 41KG baggage capacity. You are allowed 2 bags with a combined weight of 46kg on that specified route. After the 46kg you should have been, and hopefully will be, charged excess.
This will not be more than the allowed weight in 1 case which is 32KG, for 2 bags a maximum of 64KG.

So, on the old baggage allowance policy, if you turned up with 2 bags at 32KG you should have been charged for 18KG excess which is the difference on your allowance of 46KG. Lets say Ł30.00 per 1KG your excess for a one way trip would have been charged Ł540.00.
Now you have the same option but at highly reduced rate at around a set fee of Ł120.00 one way with a 30% discount online.
The 2 23kg bags you are allowed for that particular transatlantic route, which someone has already stated is a protected agreement between the US and UK ,and an additional bag for the 18KG.
seems like a bargain to me.

Thats why I have said in my last post that BA has been more than generous up until now with excess baggage.
They confused people with this 32KG maximum weight limit for 1 item and passengers thought that they could travel with 32kg.
It has never been the case. 23KG is the limit before being charged excess.

Last summer the average weight of passenger bags was 28KG on all flights. Its to heavy to lift.
You do 10 flights in an 8 hour shift, each flight has to be loaded with 140 bags in around 40mins. Your pushing, lifting and twisting trying to stack 28KG bags in this time or pulling and throwing, its a massive strain on the spinal chord.
Passengers also think that a damaged case does not pose a problem to them, they can pull it with a wheel missing.
When it comes to load/unload it we end up with nasty cuts from the twisted metal or the pretruding screw.

In the defence of SLF, BA never make anything simple. Looking at the new baggage policy they are stating that passengers still can check cases in up until Sep 2007 with a maximum weight of 32KG. So will you be charged for anything over the 23KG limit? Doubt it.
The one item under 23KG is stupid. You should be allowed to split the load that makes it easier for everybody. Although if everybody thought about bringing 2 cases under 23KG, we would end up with 280 bags to load.
That does cause problems with weight and balance because we work on average bag figures which the system recognises. It calculates the volume with 1 bag at X KG. The whole system would have to be re-programmed.

With regards to work tools if they come in under 23kg then I think there should be no charge. But if you want to check in a case at around 20KG and a box of tools then yes you should be.
My Father works for a big, luxury, motor boat company and his work takes him all over the world with his tools.
Every airline he flies with charges him excess for his tools and easyjet are the worst in his opnion. If you have to travel with work or are self-employed and need these items then either your company should refund you the expense or you pass it on to the customer in cost :ok:

With regards to fuel, it is every airlines policy to reduce fuel costs in the current economical environment. The more weight carried the more fuel burn required, especially in the take off and climb.
All business try to make money by internal savings, thats why we see company profits grow because they can relocate to China and get the product produced for a fraction of the price, and still charge the same for it in this country.
Airlines are vunerable to market forces outside of their control and can't just shut up shop and move somewhere else. Fuel is an unpridictable need so when the price drops or a company finds a way to reduce this cost it doesn't mean that the customer should benefit straight away.

Airfares are cheaper now than they have ever been in the past, and people have got more choice now than they ever had, yet you will never be able to satisfy all.:rolleyes:

Cluster One
9th Feb 2007, 11:06
This topic is being discussed on the BBC R2 Jeremy Vine show today.

James 1077
9th Feb 2007, 11:58
Red7

No I am not an idiot and nor am I anti-BA. I used to do most of my flying with BA until they became expensive and their customer service went down the pan. When they become cheaper with better customer service I will happily do the same.

My point is that with most other airlines you are allowed to check in 2/3/4/753 bags provided the overall weight is below 20kgs (or 25 kgs in reality).

So instead of having to squeeze everything into 1 bag you can pack it into 2 and thus leave you space to buy more clothes etc without needing to buy another suitcase.

As it is I rarely hit the weight limit but I buy bulky goods that necessitate another bag. Most of the time I will pack a spare bag in my case going so that I can have 2 coming back!

This is what the problem is - I have no problems whatsoever with the weight limits.

EastMids
9th Feb 2007, 12:14
I think a reality check is in order here. Passengers who want low fares are going to have to get used to the idea that they either accept more restrictions in terms of what they get included in the ticket price, and pay for services other than their seat. I think BA is actually ahead of the game here - other airlines will follow, maybe not with exactly the same charging structure, but they will become more restrictive with various aspects of their service over time. The margin on the cheaper fares is next to nothing (or worse) and instead of reducing fares and then trying to cut internal costs to match, airlines like BA are starting to cut back the product and then asking customers who want more to pay more for the services they want. Hot meals were the first thing to go, frequent flyer miles were next out the door on the lower fares, now its more than one piece of baggage, next to go could well be "free" alcohol and food in the cheap seats, or pay to check in at a desk but free for OLCI or SSCI.

Passenger acceptance of individual service pricing has already been set, at least at the lower end of the market, by the no-frills carriers. And now the full-service carriers are starting to realise that the answer isn't always internal cost cutting, but recognising that those who pay lower fares should not be entitled to much other than the seat to be included - pay more for the ticket (i.e. WTP, CW, F etc) and get more for your money, pay lower fares and get next to nothing included. The only passengers who will really be affected are those who have gotten far too much whilst paying too little over the past few years. BA won't worry as it won't cost them much - they stand to lose mainly from passengers who don't travel much and pay low fares - just the sort of passengers they're really not too bothered about sucking up to anyway.

Andy

red 7
9th Feb 2007, 14:28
James

So tell us which airlines can you list that allow more pieces than BA, and a more generous cabin allowance.
Most people posting here have either read the press and believed it without reading the BA website, or bluejay or barts postings.
Or they have no clue what other airlines allow and seem to think they are much more generous!

apaddyinuk
9th Feb 2007, 14:50
Well, despite my little rant yesterday, I did just read this off the BA website and I must admit I have calmed down a little and perhaps even about to come round to the idea. However I wonder if the bit about the 2 bags is simply giving into customer demand. Here it is...

"In common with all airlines, British Airways has always charged for excess baggage.

The revision to our charging policy, which comes into partial effect next Tuesday, is being introduced to simplify existing policies.

Currently, more than 98 per cent of customers travel within their free luggage allowance. The majority of these customers check in no more than one item of luggage per person. For these customers, there is no change.

This includes all travellers to the USA, the Caribbean, Nigeria, Mexico and Brazil. Customers for these destinations will still be able to check in two pieces of luggage free of charge. The free 23kg allowance for economy-class customers to other destinations will be limited to a single item of luggage.

British Airways has absolutely no intention of discriminating against passengers who cannot comfortably carry a 23kg bag. Where it is clear that a passenger cannot manage one bag, we will let them check in an additional bag (or more) provided the total weight is within the 23 kg limit.

Our free luggage allowances, for both carry-on and checked-in luggage, remain among the most generous in the aviation industry. Many other airlines offer smaller free allowances and charge for additional items such as skis, golf bags or other sports equipment.

The change was announced in a press release last June. Details have been on the ba.com website since, and issued to travel agents and our frequent flyers.

For the two per cent of customers who wish to exceed their free allowances, we have decided to simplify the charges they pay to make them easier to understand.

At present charges vary according to weight, route and class of travel. We are replacing these with three simple rates for bags additional to the free allowance:

£30 per extra bag on domestic flights, £60 per extra bag on European flights and £120 per extra bag on longhaul flights. Customers will get a 30 per cent discount on these rates if they pre-pay online. The changes will not come into full effect until September 2007.

In the vast majority of instances, the new policy will be cheaper or comparable for customers who wish to fly with excess baggage on top of their free allowances."

James 1077
9th Feb 2007, 15:47
Red 7

Just had a quick look at Etihad (as if I go anywhere next they'll be high up on my preferred carrier list) and their limit is 20kgs with no limit to the number of bags you can check in (provided they come in at under 20kgs in total).

So they are better than BA then as I can check in 2 bags of 10kgs rather than lugging one large bag around.

Globaliser
9th Feb 2007, 17:23
The thing that BA has managed to avoid being mentioned in most media this morning is that it is a double hit. Not only do they start the flat rate fee per extra bag but also managed to go from 32kg per bag to only 23kg!!Well, despite my little rant yesterday, I did just read this off the BA website and I must admit I have calmed down a little and perhaps even about to come round to the idea.When you look at what's actually happening next week, you can understand why the media aren't talking about the move from 32 kg to 23 kg on the piece count. It's because it isn't happening.

It's now supposed to happen on 1 October 2007. But I'll believe it when I see it. IMHO, BA will only do that if many other carriers also signal a like move. Otherwise we'll have the situation next week, which (if I've understood it right) is:-

Trans-Atlantic long-haul (old piece count routes)
First: 3 bags x 32 kg -> 3 bags x 32 kg (no change)
Club: 3 bags x 32 kg -> 3 bags x 32 kg (no change)
WT+: 2 bags x 32 kg -> 2 bags x 32 kg (no change)
Economy: 2 bags x 32 kg -> 2 bags x 32 kg (no change)

Other long-haul (old weight allowance routes)
First: 50 kg per person -> 3 bags x 32 kg (increase)
Club: 40 kg per person -> 3 bags x 32 kg (increase)
WT+: 23 kg per person -> 2 bags x 32 kg (increase)
Economy: 23 kg per person -> 1 bag x 32 kg (increase)

Short-haul
Club: 30 kg per person -> 2 bags x 32 kg (increase)
Economy: 23 kg per person -> 1 bag x 32 kg (increase)

Domestic
All: 1 bag x 32 kg -> 1 bag x 32 kg (no change)So they are better than BA then as I can check in 2 bags of 10kgs rather than lugging one large bag around.Next time you are at an airport, have a look at the people who've got about 20 kg of luggage with them.

Have a look to see how many of them have got that quantity in one bag, and how many have got them in two.

Indeed, you might want to have a look to see how many people split 20 kg of luggage between three, four or five bags. But don't look for too long, or you'll miss your flight waiting to spot one.

El Grifo
9th Feb 2007, 18:18
I am a globetrotting Professional Photographer.

My camera gear travels in a locked "Peli" case, complete with a large "Mares" sticker just like diving gear, for free

My tripod and ancillary bits travel in a cheapo golf bag, again for free.

This all started when I was declaring oveweight baggage at LHR on a BA flight and was told my "diving gear" (camera gear) was not included in the weigh-in.

They planted the idea, I have just elaborated a smidgin. :ok:

I am also Scottish :}

red 7
9th Feb 2007, 19:01
James

You poor delicate soul you! Is a 23kg wheeed bag or case that much of a hassle, I regularly travel with 2 of them!

Go enjoy etihad with your 3kg less hold baggage but neatly packaged in two small bags, (probably one in each hands so your gentle shoulders are balanced) plus your 10+kg less cabin baggage than BA!

I was right you are an idiot!

Final 3 Greens
9th Feb 2007, 21:22
Red 7

Go an look at Etihad's pricing and service level.

Then go and look at British Airways.

And assuming that you are a SFO on BA, be frightened, be very frightened, because Etihad offer much better value for money than BA, don't go on strike and are growing rapidly.

I really don't appreciate you calling people "idiots" on this forum, play the ball not the man.

If you are indeed a BA person, it reinforces the arrogant stereotype that the company unfortunately seems to be associate with.

And to any other BA people reading, although you may be suffering an unfortunate backlash in some respects, your company has been to the wells tooooo many times in recent years and has burned a hard earned reputation won in the 1980s, when your service was differentiated and worth a premium.

red 7
9th Feb 2007, 21:37
final three greens
"And assuming that you are a SFO on BA, "
Is that why you never got to be a profesional pilot, to much assuming.
You know what they say about people who assume, something about an ass and you! :=
R
ps and you are a hypochrite as on the thread re cabin versus hold baggage you bang on about how you so desire to carry as much in the cabin as possible!
"So the bottom line is, wherever possible, I utilize my full cabin allowance."
So enjoy your 2 bags adding up to 20kg limit with etihad,and your one 7kg bag in the cabin as opposed to your one 23kg bag, and unlimited weight cabin bag with BA,
You make no sense between posts on different threads,
Oh and I'm really afraid, t:mad: t!

apaddyinuk
9th Feb 2007, 21:42
But are you a BA person Red???

Cos I am and I unfortunatley have to agree with Finals on this one! The few ruining the name of many!

red 7
9th Feb 2007, 21:56
Apaddyinuk

Why the few spoiling the name of many?

Do you not think this is so hugely blown out of proportion,
The only people this makes any difference to is people with no excuse to have two bags through infirmity etc, and as has been researched, less than 2% of BA pax check in more than one bag over 23kg anyhow!

Most of the weights we offer are in excess of nearly all the worlds airlines, and our cabin baggage policy allows more than almost all others!
So why the big issue, is it not just the press pushing for more anti BA feeling!
R

James 1077
9th Feb 2007, 22:14
Red 7

And with staff like you people wonder why BA is going down the pan.

Don't think I'll say anything more on this thread; except to say that BA has made a really HUGE mistake by limiting you to one bag when it could have had some excellent PR by increasing weight limits.

gdiphil
9th Feb 2007, 22:24
For the life of me I cannot think why people are hot under the collar over this one. Who in their right mind flies BA these days? What with their surly staff and service, the beggars always being on strike (ok not always!), their appalling long haul economy seating and they lose the bags anyway. (However these comments do not apply to LGW BA staff in respect of operations within the UK.) I have been flying BA since 1963 in its various guises but have given up, there is just too much good choice out there. It's time for BA to be asset stripped and allow other airlines to flourish out of LHR in its place.

red 7
9th Feb 2007, 22:25
Increasing weight limits?
I am hoping you mean in different bags as opposed to more weight in the one bag, see health and safety post by one of BARTS! which I think was a pretty right on post!
And I am guessing you have realised what a i:mad: t you are!
Have you now realised you can take more with BA than etihad, as you failed to comment on that!
And as for staff like me, now you are making arse upmtions :ouch:

apaddyinuk
9th Feb 2007, 23:26
Red, Im not referring to the baggage policy when I was supporting Finals point. I was referring to this comment directed towards you.... "If you are indeed a BA person, it reinforces the arrogant stereotype that the company unfortunately seems to be associate with."

Your comments are appalling, I am mortified to have you as a colleague of mine. You do not reflect the views nor the opinions of BA and you are a poor spokesperson for the company. Your not Willie Walsh are you???

Actually, to be honest, It would not suprise me at all of you are not an employee of BA, just a disgruntled wanabee or passenger who is doing your best to tarnish the name further with an attitude like that (or is that arrogant of me just to say that, apologies if so!).

Cop yourself on. Just because others (e.g...our customers and frequent flyers with both BA and other carriers) disagree with you there is no need for petty name calling. We should be listening to these people afterall we want them to purchase our product and preferably come back time and again!

BA staff have a terrible name out there in certain circles. Fortunatley as front line staff I myself know that this is limited to a few people (bit like every other big company where it is hard to keep tabs on all staff at all times) but unfortunately it is these few people that tarnish the name of the rest of us that do a back breaking job to try and make sure our customers leave the airport (or in my case the plane) with a favourable impression!

red 7
9th Feb 2007, 23:40
APADDYINUK

You are entitled to your opinion, as I am mine, but stop pandering to these idiots who read the press but not official press releases then slag off BA on the back of it,

Also, they sit on one thread proclaiming the importance of huge cabin allowances, as in BA's industry leading one, then on another thread proclaim that although they would choose to only have cabin bags as it is a better option, they won't ever fly BA because the poor dears have to carry 3kg extra to others carriers in one bag!

Dont rise to the bait, and stand up for your company!

R

apaddyinuk
10th Feb 2007, 01:05
I certainly am not standing up to my company, epecially not a week or so after just being shafted by both my company and my union. But I also know how to hold an arguement/discussion and would never stoop to your level of name calling! What the hell is that all about?

If you cant put across your opinion in a civil way you will never win...name calling is for the play ground, the play ground is for kids, Welcome to pprune...Adults reign here!

You clearly lack diplomacy and therefore people skills!

lexxity
10th Feb 2007, 08:59
Red 7 what is your problem? Why are you so angry with everyone? Not everyone has the same opinion, that is reality.

I can understand why some people are p'd off about this as they do find it easier to carry two smaller pieces rather than one big piece and that is the passengers choice. With that choice they will now go elsewhere and again that is their choice. Just because you don't agree with them that is no reason to call people names.

BOFH
10th Feb 2007, 11:43
Just because you don't agree with them that is no reason to call people names.

Au contraire - why bother with reasoned debate when an ad hominem attack will do?

Thankfully, the people on this forum are sentient enough to spot this sort of behaviour and observe it with reserved condemnation and/or pity.

There are compelling reasons to split one's baggage. As we've seen, hardened luggage handlers complain about heavy items of baggage. Leaving aside the point that people who volunteer to handle baggage should be aware, a priori, that baggage could involve heavy lifting (I mean, what does one think when applying for a baggage handler's job? Unless your planet has seven moons, I'd expect it would mean heavy lifting, myself. This deserves a vignette).

Job applicant: I'd like a job as a baggage handler, please.
BAA official: Fine - when can you start?
Applicant: Immediately!
BAA Official: Okay - could you please move these bags onto this aeroplane?
Applicant: Eh? I thought I would be performing open-heart surgery in a Jacuzzi whilst Nicole Kidman licked my ears!

Should it not follow, therefore, that people who do not perform manual labour for a living, and might not be in the prime of their lives, would find 23kg better distributed in two bags,or in the case of a couple, 46kg distributed amongst three?

As an unreformed sexist, I like to give Mrs BOFH the nylon bag with our soiled clothing, sailing gear, bulky-but-light items, whilst I manfully carry the two hard-shell cases. She gets about 6 kg, I get 40. All is right with the world.

With the new! improved! paradigm! it means an extra 6kg for me until she pulls the equality card out and claims an extra 17kg for her, and a mood which makes animals run away in fear, like dogs and birds before a thunderstorm.

BOFH

apaddyinuk
10th Feb 2007, 12:43
Red, Im not running to mummy, Im confronting the situation directly!!! But you clearly are unable to understand what it is that you are doing wrong which greatly concerns me!

Oh well, talking to a brick wall on this one I think! :ugh:

Final 3 Greens
10th Feb 2007, 14:20
Red 7

Let me answer your question, which was "Is that why you never got to be a profesional pilot, to much assuming."

1 - I don't like shift work
2 - I couldn't afford the pay cut

You should listen to APaddyinUK, with whom I have had differences of opinion on this forum in the past, so no cosy mutual admiration society between us.

However, Apaddy as a person working at the customer service coalface, speaks with credibility and consistency on these matters.

I am still not convinced that you work for BA and would not be surprised if APaddy's suspicions are well founded.

El Grifo
11th Feb 2007, 13:27
As a civilised comparison. I am flying ACE-MAD-CAN Wednesday on a job.

I just contacted the carrier, Air Europa who advised that I can check in two bags of no more than 32kg and any more that I wish at £73 per bag.

I can carry on my laptop and a couple more small bags.

Isn't it nice to see that not all airlines have lost ther heads in this frantic downward spiraling, cattle class mode of transport that we all used to love and enjoy.

I feel sorry for all the poor sods who are forced to fly BA.

Ripped off first and ripped off always.

Pathetic really.

PAXboy
11th Feb 2007, 18:44
The bit that interest me is ... how do I snaffle things through as sports equipment. To say that I am astounded that BA carry golf bags (hobby) for free but will not allow an extra bag with camera equipment (hobby) is to use an altogether too polite word. Or have I missed something?

El Grifo
11th Feb 2007, 19:20
Yep, you have missed something. My post a few notches back :---

I am a globetrotting Professional Photographer.

My camera gear travels in a locked "Peli" case, complete with a large "Mares" sticker just like diving gear, for free

My tripod and ancillary bits travel in a cheapo golf bag, again for free.

This all started when I was declaring oveweight baggage at LHR on a BA flight and was told my "diving gear" (camera gear) was not included in the weigh-in.

They planted the idea, I have just elaborated a smidgin.

I am also Scottish

That's the way to do it :ok:

PAXboy
12th Feb 2007, 00:12
Thanks El Grifo I had read your post and the reasons that I said 'have I missed something' was more that I just could not believe it!!! What is: a large "Mares" sticker??

How close an inspection do they give and have you been tempted to put other non-sporting items into a sports case/bag?

apaddyinuk
12th Feb 2007, 02:45
I could be wrong but I think what they mean by sporting equipment they mean things in special travel cases such as Golf Clubs, Skis (sorry, dyslexia moment), snowboards, Bikes etc etc!!!! I dont think chucking your gym gear or whatever into a sports bag really counts!!! LOL!

El Grifo
12th Feb 2007, 06:59
"mares" is a brand of diving gear and yes most off my friends who live on the Island here, regularly use their golf bags to bring back tools and bits of equipment bought in the UK. It is a standard procedure.

Naturally, nothing is ever inspected.

red 7
12th Feb 2007, 07:31
El Grifo said!
" can carry on my laptop and a couple more small bags."
To be fair, the amount of bags you can carry onboard from London has nothing to do with BA, this is dictated by the DOT and since the security scare you may only bring one bag full stop!
Its crazy but I cant see them changing it soon!
Hence the yellow T-shirt brigade now policing the security line up's!
R

El Grifo
12th Feb 2007, 14:56
Called BA recently to ask how many bits of carry on I could take through EDI.

They told me categorically 1 bag and 1 laptop.

Rushing for the flight and was stopped from taking bag containing some gifts and books. I simply had to dump the bag or miss the flight

I went ape**** with BA on reaching LGW.

All they could say was " we could contact lost property at EDI if you like"

I despise their dysfunctional little organisation.

red 7
12th Feb 2007, 21:25
The main problem is that transec and the DOT make the rules, but then within that every airport is allowed to make their own interpretations within those!
Although It will not help you with the situation you have suffered, I would suggest in the future looking at the BAA website for the individual airport!
If you call BA or any airline for that matter and you end up speaking to someone at a different airport to that which you are traveling, I bet they will only know the rules for that one!
Its not ideal I know, but this part of the thread should be bashing the dot who makes all of our lives hell, not the airlines which have to work within those rules, rules which are not even consistent between BAA management at different airports!

BellEndBob
14th Feb 2007, 12:58
Are we now going to get Pax swallowing condoms full of spare underwear in order to avoid the excess baggage charge?

14th Feb 2007, 15:50
If you call BA or any airline for that matter and you end up speaking to someone at a different airport to that which you are traveling, I bet they will only know the rules for that one!
But surely if the airline in question has a reasonable customer service department, they should know, and if not, they should tell you that they don't have any idea, and suggest to you who to contact to get the correct information.
What is the point of a customer service agent who either doesn't know what they are talking about, or just bull5hits and gives wrong answers?

pacer142
15th Feb 2007, 07:53

Fair enough, in which case "I don't know" is the correct answer.

No information is far, far better than wrong information, which is just incompetent.