PDA

View Full Version : Landing lights policy ?

kotakota
6th Feb 2007, 15:32
Can someone please point me towards the relevant policy Notam concerning the use of / requirement for Landing lights to be on below FL 100/ 10,000' ?
My current airlines SOPs do not have this policy and I thought it was a JAA or CAA requirement ?
Tried the search Mike so no smart remarks please.

fabs
6th Feb 2007, 16:54
Did a search too, not sure if this provides the difinitive answer you are looking for

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250991&highlight=landing+lights

varigflier
6th Feb 2007, 21:51
It's not a NOTAM. It is an Advisory Circular(AC) Operation Lights ON, saying that all pilots should adhere to it in order to promote safety in the skies. It also talks about strobe lights on when entering runways, take off/landing lights on when cleared for takeoff etc. It is not a requirement but they urge everybody to do it so most airlines have included it in their day to day flying.
It is also mentioned in the FAR/AIM.
I hope this helps:)

Goldfish Jack
7th Feb 2007, 04:37
I think a lot of airlines/operators have just followed on from an old tradition of turning your landing lights on when you enter "indian terrritory" which was always considered anything below 1000ft, as in the good old days of daks, cherokees, chieftans, etc most of them could not get above that alt.

With fast moving jets entering that area, it made sense to turn on the lights, to help with those a/c looking for you.

I know down here in Cape Town, we have a SRA below our TMA and it is a requirement to have your landing lights turned on, not that anyone complies with that!!!!!

West Coast
7th Feb 2007, 04:42
"always considered anything below 1000ft"

10,000 I presume is what you meant.

kotakota
7th Feb 2007, 06:00
Thanks everyone.
My current outfit require Turn Off lights only below 10,000 ,whereas I am used to Fixed landing lights AND Turn offs below ten.
Will try and get them to consider a change , after all it can't cost anything can it ? Or do bulbs blow more regularly when used more ?

Goldfish Jack
7th Feb 2007, 14:01
West Coast

Thanks - fat fingers!!!!