PDA

View Full Version : Microlight Trial Flights-pay?

microsky
5th Feb 2007, 16:01
Is It Legal To Obtain Payment For Microlight Trial Flights If You Are Not An Instructor?
It Strikes Me As A Way To Fly For Free While Introducing New Blood To The Magic Of Aviation

xrayalpha
7th Feb 2007, 16:04
Short answer:

YES

Explanation: Microlights operate under a Permit to Fly. Condition 1 states: The aeroplane shall not be flown for the purpose of public transport work or aerial work, other than aerial work consisting soley of the giving of instruction in flying.

So, if the flight includes other things - like a photo of their house - it is, technically, not possible for even an instructor to get paid.

Also, it is a trial "flying lesson" - known as trial flight or TF for short. Lesson = instructor.

Hope that helps,

ps. You can get a half share of the direct costs - ie fuel and landing fees, but not hangarage or insurance (if an annual premium, rather than pay-by-the-hour)

Whopity
7th Feb 2007, 16:44
Surely you mean NO!

You must have an Instructor rating, or hold an exemption, because you can't currently add a FI rating to an NPPL.

xrayalpha
7th Feb 2007, 21:42
Whopity.

YES - I meant NO!

Whoops!

MadamBreakneck
8th Feb 2007, 12:41
HOWEVER...
You can always sell the flight and pay the instructor to do the flying (usually less than you were paid). That's how RLD and others run their businesses.

That way you can introduce newcomers to the magic of flight and make some money on the side.
MB

Whopity
8th Feb 2007, 17:10
How do you sell a flight without making it public transport?(3) Subject to the provisions of this article and articles 158 to 163, an aircraft in flight shall for the purposes of this Order be deemed to fly for the purposes of public transport:
(a) if valuable consideration is given or promised for the carriage of passengers or cargo in the aircraft on that flight;
You can't do public transport in a Microlight or even rent it on a Permit.

MadamBreakneck
9th Feb 2007, 11:55
Whopity said:You can't do public transport in a Microlight or even rent it on a Permit. except subject to exemption in AIC 70/205 (white 85) or whatever is the current equivalent.
That's the one for training (which includes air experience flights and trial lesons) - I'm sure there's been a thread chewing that one over.
Hiring microlights is allowed, subject to various criteira. (http://www.bmaa.org/fileredirect.asp?FileID=45&FilePath=upload/techdocs/032_1a.pdf) which include solo flight only.
MB

Whopity
9th Feb 2007, 13:45
AIC 70/2003 White 85 is a General Exemption to permit microlight training from unlicensed aerodromes!
Confining things to the original question the answer remains NO!

MadamBreakneck
9th Feb 2007, 18:36
Oh dear, you're right. I apologise.:ugh: I was thinking of ANO2005 Schedule 8 part A, Section 1, subsection 1 clause 2b. It's also true that one may not do public transport flights or aerial work (except instruction... etc.) in a microlight. There's also AIC 3/2004 (I hope I've quoted the right one this time) for the benefit of NPPL holders with microlight rating.
Nonetheless, I remain adamant that one doesn't need to be an instructor to sell a flight legally, only to carry it out - which is different.
But it was meant as an amusing aside, not a flame trigger...:ouch:
MB

Kit d'Rection KG
9th Feb 2007, 19:08
Microlight Trial Flights-pay?

No, I wouldn't pay for one...

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: