PDA

View Full Version : Most powerful department within your airline

shon7
5th Feb 2007, 10:30
We started debating this after a few drinks tonight. Think it might make for a good thread. So here goes --

Which is the most powerful department in your airline and why?
Flight Ops? Finance? Dispatch? System Ops. Control? Marketing?

BANANASBANANAS
5th Feb 2007, 10:39
Human Resources. Unfortunately!

The SSK
5th Feb 2007, 11:02
In Europe - without a doubt - Industry and Government Affairs.

All the big issues facing the airlines - environment, airport charges, security, ATC, safety, consumer protection - are highly politicised. In any big airline, the no 1 politico will be the CEO's right-hand man.

And we thought the industry was deregulated, right?

Banzai Eagle
5th Feb 2007, 17:15
HR - should be there to help but always in with the MD stiring. Normally seem to be moaning about Management Pilots rosters, yes even they have rules to comply with such as 7 in 28 days off

Beancounters - know the price of everything, the value of nothing

ZeBedie
6th Feb 2007, 01:09
Cabin Services

TightSlot
6th Feb 2007, 08:53
HR - they know where all the bodies are buried...

merlinxx
6th Feb 2007, 09:40
How about the HoneyCart man, y'all ain't going nowhere anywhere without this guy!!

TopBunk
6th Feb 2007, 09:52
It was Cabin Services until last week;)

Probably now the baggage handlers:(

bflyer
6th Feb 2007, 10:39
FINANCIAL department unfortunately....they will always find ways to cut-reduce..eliminate amount of mony payed to flt crews..pretexts can always be found.........management is happy
this is..universal:{

Lost at fl345
7th Feb 2007, 14:35
commercial department...... opening up new routes without reviewing the man power :(

ray cosmic
7th Feb 2007, 15:14
Crewscheduling; they can make or break the pilot community's morale.
In my book that is extremely powerful.

Hudson Bay
8th Feb 2007, 08:45
In easy it's flight ops admin. They run the show. I have always been nice to these lovely people.

coded_messages
8th Feb 2007, 09:30
Cabin Crew Dept in our outfit. I would also add that the most powerful person in the company is the checker you fly with ;)

mightymouse111
8th Feb 2007, 10:09
Most powerful?.....catering!! The control they can influence is painful!

gone till november
8th Feb 2007, 17:37
Payroll........obviously:ugh:

jonesthepilot
8th Feb 2007, 20:30
HR. A bunch of lightweights with loads of knowledge of the theory but not a clue about how to communicate with people!
My limited dealings with these people makes me realise that they are a bunch of kids with absolutely no idea how to deal with human beings. I really hate them!! :E

huckleberry58
9th Feb 2007, 05:21
Marketing.

matkat
9th Feb 2007, 09:38
Surprised no one mentioned the QA department:}

speedbirdzerozeroone
11th Feb 2007, 15:18
Maintenance Dept.

If the a/c is tech, the airline doesn’t make money and everyone in all the other departments can go home. As an operational asset the aeroplane is the money maker…. engineers and crew are joint 2nd in the food chain behind the health of the a/c and i can't remember the last time i heard a pilot tell an engineer what's what.

Ignition Override
14th Feb 2007, 06:13
The most important are aircraft maintenance. This is from a pilot's perspective.
The least important, Upper Mgmt. Not all of them, but some go from airline to airline, stuffing millions, if not tens of millions of scarce dollars (some via 'free' stock: this is in their contracts) into their pockets, and lacking people skills, they continue to damage or cripple airline after airline, from a long-term perspective.

Check what dangerous situations happened as a result of their type$ of "outsourcing". Many of us anticipated a major incident or crash this winter-at our company. Events have taken place which we have never heard of before. Never.

Impress to inflate
14th Feb 2007, 09:14
HR then HR's mates then HR mates, mates, then Bean counters then Bean counters friends. :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Re-Heat
14th Feb 2007, 11:33
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organizational_culture