PDA

View Full Version : NATS recruitment 2007

G-TOBE
5th Feb 2007, 09:28
Morning All,

After an unsuccessful attempt at a NATS assessment day last February, I have this year reached the second stage, where I'm now booked in down in Fareham a week today.

I appreciate the wealth of information in the "sticky" topic above, which I read both last year and again now, but are there any users of this site that have joined NATS since 2001? This seems to be the date of the most recent posts on the assessment days.

It seems a few things have changed in the past five years, where NATS say you don't (at this stage) have to visit one of their sites, and neither do they send you any info through the post. I am currently reading through the 16 chapter info downloaded from the website and the recruitment details given on gatco.org.

Would be good to hear anyone's thoughts, and too from anyone who has seen this site referenced in any of the NATS info, who has their second stage assessment coming up this month.

Thanks,

G-TOBE

richyinnewcastle
5th Feb 2007, 13:23
hey g-tobe,

I've just gone through the process for the second time as well and your right things have changed...

Info through post - when I first went through it 3 years ago it was all done by post i believe.. but now it is all made available online (sign of the times).. the first booklet for the motivation test in stage 1.. and then the second (more detailed) booklet made available for your motivational test in Fareham for the second stage - which you do along side the computer tests and HR interview.

NATS unit - they actually never tell you to visit a NATS unit in any of the emails .. after initial application they say no need, after stage 1 they say no need, but after stage 2, they don't mention it.. which I sort of took as a good indicator I should go visit somewhere..

The info in the sticky threads is all still relevant the only real difference is that the old stage 2 is now split into 2..

Stage 2- Being another motivational test, HR interview and computer tests

Stage 3 - Team exercise and HR/Tech interview

:ok: - good luck!

rich

ianroyle
5th Feb 2007, 22:38
Hi guys, there is no requirement to visit a unit before stage 3 - I didn't (and neither have many others I know) and I managed to get through ok, having just started the basic course at the college.

It may be of use to some, I guess it all comes down to who interviews you on the day and what they want to know about your knowledge and motivation for the job - some more than others I suppose

GT3
6th Feb 2007, 07:02
Would it not look better to have visited a unit rather than not?

autothrottle
6th Feb 2007, 08:29
At least a couple, do things to:cool: put you ahead of the rest.

BigBoeing
6th Feb 2007, 08:38
Yes, without a doubt go and visit as many as you can. Non nats units are still well worth visiting. Shows your motivation, gives you lots to talk about in the interview and the more you can learn now the easier the college will be! good luck

Defruiter
6th Feb 2007, 09:24
Just don't say in the interview that you did if you didn't :}

I have heard that this has happened in the past, the interviewers have asked them questions about the unit (Where you went, what you did, what they do etc etc) and the interviewee gave them a blank stare! Duh! :ugh:

SuperDuperFLY
6th Feb 2007, 18:25
I am attending my stage 3 in 3 weeks :}. How on earth do they fill up the whole day.
What are the group tests?
How long is the interview? -is it tense?

Please throw some advice, I know its not exactly fair to be getting such a heads up at such a final stage... but there is not much stage 3 info around.

does any1 know if they DO have availablilty on the March and June intake dates... reason I ask is because I would like september- so would they see me as being difficult if i requested THAT!?

I went to a nats and a non-nats tower, read a whole lot too- So I'm not looking for any shortcuts. I just wanna have a better picture of the actual day. thanks in advance :E

smellysnelly2004
6th Feb 2007, 18:57
:ok: When I took the interview it was all in one day but as i understand it it's the tech/HR interview and group exercise.

The group exercise is a game that you play together - would probably ruin the point of it if I wnent into detail. Team work and problem solving are the order of the day.

The interview will vary massively depending on who you get - could be fairly technical, could be more scenario based.

Deferring wasn't a problem for me - I passed in the summer and deferred until March. Don't think it's always an option but just ask HR and they'll tell you. There is always a danger that the pay/conditions could change between now and then so be careful if you decide to defer.

Hope that helps

ianroyle
6th Feb 2007, 21:16
Super Duper Fly - with regards to how they fill the day, I'll give you a bit of an insight - well how it was for me at least!

On my stage 3 back in November, there were 6 of us in Manchester. I think it commenced at 8.30am, and to begin with, we had the introductions from the NATS staff present (2 ATCO's and 2 HR staff), and then the six of us did the usual introductions you've probably done a million times before at interviews, induction days etc.

From here, the group exercise was explained to us, and then we commenced with the exercise which lasted 30 minutes, and was followed by a 5 minute group chat about our performance - what he had/hadn't done well. Throughout the whole time, the assessors were pretty quiet, busy making notes on whoever it was they had assigned themselves to.

We were then informed of who would be interviewing who (an ATCO and HR member per interviewee), and that between our group of three, we should decide in which order we should go. Two per group were to be done before lunch, and the last member of each group afterwards. In this time, we were free to do whatever we wished - leave the hotel if we pleased, or stay like we did (I, along with another girl, volunteered to go last, as we were both fairly local and didn't have to travel far unlike some of the other candidates).

If I remember correctly, lunch was around 1pm. Over lunch, we had the opportunity to ask questions on things such as what would happen after the interviews, how soon we would start if successful, wage structures, basically all the things that you read on here as rumours! Once this was over and done with, the four that had been interviewed were free to go, leaving the two of us to have our respective interviews.

My interview lasted about 1hr 15mins, which was pretty consistent with the other candidates, but it really flew by, as there always seemed to be someone talking. In fact, I actually found it quite interesting and stimulating, just for my general ATC knowledge. I was finished and on my way home by about 3pm, but if you're lucky, it could be as early as 1.30pm.

I'd just add that, personally, after my interview I felt really demoralised and thought I stood no chance of having passed. I got a real grilling and looking back wished I'd given different answers etc, but having been successful, I must have said something right. So on that, just give it your best and if you don't feel great afterwards, it doesn't necessarily mean bad news is coming your way. Just be confident in what you are saying, as the interviewers may throw in certain "hints" that may prove to be red herrings, just to see your reaction. Unless you can see a certain sense of logic behind what is being suggested, then I'd say your first reaction could be the correct one, especially if you can justify it.

Hope this is of some use, sorry to have waffled on a bit! If I can help in any other way, PM me, as I'll be more than willing to help, as are most of my new colleagues!!

GOOD LUCK!

richyinnewcastle
6th Feb 2007, 23:08
"How on earth do they fill up the whole day"

In my experience I sat around with the other guys for about 3 hours!! haha, never mind.. Gave me plenty of time to think about what I wanted to say!

the actual interviews seemed to last between about an hour and a hour and a half. I went last Tuesday and they said they were looking for people for march, so they must have places.. Also deferring until September hopefully..just finishing off uni.. they seemed pretty relaxed about it!

G-TOBE
8th Feb 2007, 14:09
Thanks for your replies. Sounds like the Second stage is pretty much like the first, with the HR interview not really being something for which you can prepare.

The third stage sounds the trickier, with the ATCs interviewing and the "team building"; the very thought of it sending a shiver down my spine!

Oh well, back to the reading I suppose... see if I can digest it all in one sitting this time!

G-TOBE

richyinnewcastle
8th Feb 2007, 14:42
just make sure you can think of plenty of examples to some of these classics..

are you mature, why?
are you good in team situations, why?
have u ever bent the rules?
have you ever hurt anyone?
what do you think about when your alone? (i kid you not)
can you make quick decisions? think of an example..
what was the last quick decision you made?
how do you cope when things don't go to plan?
can you take criticism?
have you ever hurt anyone?

The 3rd stage is more of the same, but they relate a lot of your answers to scenarios if you make the course, such as, if a trainer continuously criticised you what would you do.. etc

Whilst I'm on, someone mentioned deferring entry earlier in the thread.. I've had a few issues as it were with this recently so don't assume you can start when you like! hmmm :sad:although I'm sure this will get cleared up .. at least I hope :P

ianroyle
8th Feb 2007, 16:38
one question you may get is "are you a quick thinker?"

if you ponder this one, for god's sake, don't reply "yes!"

:)

evileyeperry
14th Feb 2007, 14:40
When asked if I was a quick thinker Ian i actually said yes after about a 30 second pause to ponder my exact answer. Despite this pause I am now at the college and actually sit next to you in most lectures so I really wouldn't worry too much about what Ian says in general. However, doesn't he write lovely? :ok:

SACrIGGER
14th Feb 2007, 18:13
Evileyepery,

Seems that you are not only lacking in the quick thinking department, but also the quick moving with the ladies... Are you STILL single?