PDA

View Full Version : Advice about applying to NATS - Help please!

pers5579
3rd Feb 2007, 14:19
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, but I'm struggling to get the information I need so I thought I'd give this a try.

I want to apply for an ATCO position, but I'm not able to do so at the moment. I'm financially restricted as my wife is at University. The problem is that when she completes her course, I'll be 29 (just!). I may just make the upper age limit if they are running a recruitment drive at the time. Otherwise - I've had it! Although, I have heard a rumour that due to the new Age Discrimination Legislation NATS may have to remove the upper age limit - anyone know if this is true?

Also, I considered that maybe I should apply now, just to try out the testing phases, however, if I passed the testing phases I couldn't take the job because 10k wouldn't pay my mortgage, let alone keep myself, my wife and a 2 year-old daughter! Would this be a good idea or would I be shooting myself in the foot?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

Loki
3rd Feb 2007, 14:42
Have you tried asking Nats for advice?

You don`t sound too old, and I know the age limit has become somewhat elastic recently.....whether for purely pragmatic reasons or because of legislation, I know not.

There`s bound to be a bit of a gap between applying and starting a course, so I would apply before your good lady finishes uni. Perhaps Nats would permit you to defer your start date in any case. As I said, why not ask them?

rodan
3rd Feb 2007, 15:26
I have heard a rumour that due to the new Age Discrimination Legislation NATS may have to remove the upper age limit - anyone know if this is true?

I believe that this is indeed the case. As Loki says though, nothing stopping you from applying in advance and deferring if need be. Good luck!

richyinnewcastle
3rd Feb 2007, 16:11
I talked to someone about the age limit the other day and they reliably informed me that it is a bit up in the air at the minute, but they are taking a good look at the legislation.. I presumed to see if there was any way they could introduce one again based on the nature of the work? but maybe I presumed wrong, so like everyone says, best ask NATS they're always nice and friendly on the phone in my experience :)

SilentHandover
3rd Feb 2007, 16:53
There is no age limit any more, I'm on the course at the moment and I have a 40 year old colleague who has no previous aviation experience (as far as I know).

SH

pers5579
4th Feb 2007, 21:41
Thanks for all your advice. Think I will phone NATS in the morning.

pers5579
6th Feb 2007, 21:09
Hi All, I have had the following confirmation from NATS:

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm there is no upper age limit.

If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Many thanks

www.natscareers.co.uk

ATSAWHO
6th Feb 2007, 22:27
AAAAAGGGGHHHHH!

5579, u 'ave responsibilities mate....Nats HR give a stuff about nothing than their own backsides and rule book. :eek:

Be careful...any 'advice' they give will be in they're own interests.

Sorry mate.

Look after your family.

Gonzo
9th Feb 2007, 21:45
ATSAWHO,

Don't worry, they speak very highly of you.... :rolleyes:

ATSAWHO
10th Feb 2007, 08:00
Gonzo

I REALLY hope they don't talk about me at all!!!

Soooo...you must be pals with THEM...

Gonzo
12th Feb 2007, 14:16
I know several of the NATS HR team at CTC, correct. I've worked with THEM [sic] on various projects, both within and without TATC recruitment.

Please do elucidate upon your experience with NATS HR, how well you appreciate the challenges they face when trying to do their jobs, and how you are able to make such an obviously well reasoned and balanced critique.

:rolleyes:

For others who have any similar questions to the one asked by pers5579 originally, please contact HR first!

anotherthing
12th Feb 2007, 16:29
Sound, common sense advice from Gonzo. It sounds (though I could be wrong) that ATSAWHO has failed at one of the hurdles along the way hence his or her crass blanket statement - you need vinegar for that chip on yer shoulder?!? :E

Gonzo
12th Feb 2007, 16:44
Sound, common sense advice from Gonzo

Oh no, don't say that, people will start to listen to me!!!! :ugh::{

Jerricho
12th Feb 2007, 17:00
You keep telling yourself that.

ATSAWHO
16th Feb 2007, 13:32
Pers5579, tread extremely carefully...

Gonzo, my words were based on much interaction with HR/Personnel/business champions/business partners/service delivery super secret squirrel agents...or whatever handle they've created for themselves this week/day/hour. So anotherthing, no character flaw there eh!

Pers5579, if you want it, go for it, but go in with yours eyes open...OK? Rose tinted specs will not be an asset to you.

Gonzo
16th Feb 2007, 16:50
Avoiding? No as it happens, I just didn't have anything else to add. However, since you're insistent.

What do you want me to say? Your mind is made up.

Maybe they just don't like you.:confused:

Me? I've always found them really helpful, and forgiving of my mistakes when there was no need to be.

I was standing next to them for about twenty minutes on yesterday, and as soon as they were off the phone, no more than ten seconds later it would ring again.

I sure as heck wouldn't like their job.

LoLar
19th Feb 2007, 18:13
Hi all,

May I have your opinions ?
I've applied on NATS web site, and have been invited to attend the 1st stage of the Recruitment process - the selection tests.
I've booked date and location (London) for the tests.
It is stated that travel expenses will not be reimbursed at this stage of the recruitment process, and it seems right to me.

The event will run for approximately 4 hours and will consist of selection tests, a discussion with an air traffic controller and a motivation paper. The questions for the motivation paper are drawn from the information given on the NATS website, and can be prepared.
Practice examples of aptitude tests can be found prepared as well. I've prepared and practiced aptitude tests.

My questions are :
1/ Who has been selected and has fully participated to the complete training ?
2/ I guess that I haven't got any good chance of passing, due to my poor english, and due to the comparison with english native langage candidates ? Am I right or are there any foreign candidates who pass the selection ?

3/ What do you think : is it a failure in advance for me because of french native langage?

My english skills are in the average (my english can be seen on this forum... ok to fly as a PPL, to buy a pint, to chat here, probably far inadequate to become an ATCO).

Some of you know french ATCO employed by NATS in UK ? If yes, I would be very interested in discussing directly with them.

Than you for your objective opinion.

Loki
19th Feb 2007, 19:21
LoLar

I think you are right to be concerned about your level of English....I think that`s only natural. If asked about it, make sure you are positive about improving and your capacity to learn.

There are a few non native ATCOs about, I can think of at least 2 Spanish, a Dane, Netherlander and a Belgian in Nats. Their standard of English is quite good though. Please do not be discouraged, and good luck.

747-436
21st Feb 2007, 10:45
I sat the tests in london last month and I am sure that if you could speak reasonable English you could get through the Psycometric tests as they are not a test of language as such, as long as you can understand the instructions then you should be ok. The motivation test might prove a bit more problematic though.

As for how it would be after the tests someone else would have to answer that one.

smellysnelly2004
21st Feb 2007, 19:12
A good command of English is, in my opinion, essential in the interview to allow you to express your answers/ideas coherently.

As was said above, I don't think it'll be a problem for the first selection day.