PDA

View Full Version : frustrated

mofoho
3rd Feb 2007, 02:47
okay i went for my 1st stage selection exactly one week ago and still havnt heard nethin, i know they say 15 days but i need to rant!
i realllly want this and im drivin myself insane! i must have signed in2 my email like 100 times since last friday!
if ne1 is in the same boat as me please join the rant!

uncle dickie
3rd Feb 2007, 06:28
You really need to calm down. Stability is a critical part of the make-up in ATCOs. Insanity is precluded for a Class one medical.

All part of the under-arm test.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
3rd Feb 2007, 07:17
Have you sat back and read your email.... or perhaps it looks OK to you? I have to say that if that's the way you write normally then you'd be lucky to get past the front door.

IMHFO
3rd Feb 2007, 07:23
HD, I know, I know but the kids of today. Guess we have to move with it, the casual standards and so on ........ Not helped by the rusty and inefficient boat anchor that is HR. Heck contact counselling isn't permitted anymore. Me a pacifist but it sure fixed me up.

Chilli Monster
3rd Feb 2007, 08:24
Another example of the "I want it now!" attitude prevalent in todays society.

Mofoho - your post looks the ravings of a spoilt, self obsessed brat who is the last type of person anyone would wish to employ, never mind being responsible for thousands of lives daily.

Stop being a tw@t and grow up - 15 days means 15 days (or can't candidates count these days? Certainly can't spell that's for certain!)

chileconcarne27
3rd Feb 2007, 09:05
Hi,

5 working days is nothing, i had my first stage on the monday before you and I haven't heard anything either so don't get worked up. Find something to fill your time and just wait for your phone to go 'beep beep' (if you set up for SMS alerts from NATS). You'll then be able to race to your computerm faster than a fast thing and find out the news.

There's absolutely b*gger all you can do about it quite yer moaning! :ugh:

Chile

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
3rd Feb 2007, 09:17
Hmmm looks like chiliconcarne27 is someone else who has difficulty stringing more than a few words together! Is this really what the ATC profession is coming to?

2 sheds
3rd Feb 2007, 10:11
Chilli M
As with RPS, could not agree more! - you just beat me to it.
(Well done, by the way).
2 s

richyinnewcastle
3rd Feb 2007, 10:17
Took mine 16 working days recently so get used to the wait! .. If you submitted your mobile number you will get a text before you can check your email in time anyway! luckily 2nd and 3rd stages are done at a much quicker pace.. hence why I'm the happiest guy in the world today after yesterdays news .. :P

rich

mofoho
3rd Feb 2007, 10:26
I do apologise for being a self-obsessed brat who cannot spell, will you ever forgive me? For some odd, inexplicable reason I thought you would have known that sometimes *just sometimes* people don't write perfect english whilst typing on casual communication systems, such as forums, messenger systems and email.
Furthermore I think it is ridiculous that I received such harsh criticism for simply being excited and anxious about possibly the biggest opportunity I will ever have. I will make sure to mention it in interview "I have a bit of a problem here...I got anxious waiting for a NATS selection email and I believe this directly projects my personality as 1:irresponsible 2:an idiot 3:self-obsessed 4:incapable of coping with stress".
I should just walk in to my interview wearing a post-it on my head reading "I am going to kill many people, do not give me a chance".
Isn't it lovely to know that if I get through I will be working with nice, rational and considerate people like yourselves? HR's should do an asshole test to filter out such people.
SO anyway, back to my point, if anyone else out there is feeling anxious about any stage of NATS selection *and we're not just talking about the waiting aspect of it all* then this is your thread. Anyone who is not feeling anxious OR has no USEFUL advice or information, please **** off.
Many thanks.

Angrel
3rd Feb 2007, 10:28
oh i don't know HD, i'm at the college now

'six munce ago i culdnt even spell air traffik contreller. Now i are one!'

:}

mofoho
3rd Feb 2007, 10:28
thank-you richy! And what exact news did you get??? congrats whatever it is!

mofoho
3rd Feb 2007, 10:30
Angrel how r u finding the course? give sum info please!:)

richyinnewcastle
3rd Feb 2007, 10:36
Yer, good news, just the medical now..

I agree that you shouldn't have to use perfect English on here, although you get into bad habits if you dont, BUUUT you should be nice to everyone because they will definitely help you if you progress! and are likely to look back at your old threads.. :P

You should be anxious, I think it would be unusual if you aren't anxious to be honest!

good luck

mofoho
3rd Feb 2007, 10:39
cheers! just have one wee qu to ask u: 2nd stage-what interview do u get? it is technical one or is that not until the 3rd stage?
Hope the course kicks ass for u btw

richyinnewcastle
3rd Feb 2007, 10:46
Second stage is computer tests, an HR interview.. team work, maturity, etc.. You also get a bigger booklet than you did for the first stage tests to learn, but its basically the same.. and you sit another multiple choice test on that.

In the final stage you have a team exercise and a joint HR and technical interview for about an hour and a half.. which is fun!

Number2
3rd Feb 2007, 10:47
Mofoho

I really don't think you are endearing yourself to seasoned ATC professionals with your comments. If you can't take some criticism and/or banter, I'm sorry to say that ATC training probably isn't for you.

chileconcarne27
3rd Feb 2007, 11:35
Director,

I thought my thread was quite well strung together thank you. I was merely comparing and contrasting my situation with that of the original poster, in (now what was obviously) a vain attempt at putting him/her at some ease about the wait.

Yes, we were all told that we are likely to wait the full 15 days for a reply but when applying for the dream job, it seems like an eternity. And sometimes a reply comes through sooner than expected anyway.

A little encouragement, on your part, for the new applicants, maybe with a bit of friendly advice about how to pass the time and not get worked up about the wait, would have been more constructive....remember you were there once too so you should know how we're feeling.

*Spelling, punctuation and grammar checked thoroughly for your understanding*

Chile

chileconcarne27
3rd Feb 2007, 11:40
Getting back to the thread...

Yes, Mofoho, i am waiting too and am equally as nervous/anxious about the pending result. Emails have never been checked more often!

I am lucky in the fact that a friend of mine has just finished at ATCO college and has been of great help in preparing my application and first stage tests.

How do you think you did in the tests? I know it's almost impossible to say but sometimes there's a gut feeling about the outcome.

Good luck and fingers crossed

Chile

mofoho
3rd Feb 2007, 12:19
I can take criticism, what i cannot take is being told im a self-obsessed brat by sum1 who knows nothing about me.
n i think i did okay in the tests...the cube one was beyond difficult tho,but all the rest were ok! yaya! how about urself? and what test centre n date were u/

chileconcarne27
3rd Feb 2007, 12:26
Don't let them get to you...

I didn't mind the cubes, but i seem quite happy with spatial reasoning etc. i was at the London tests on the 22nd.

One thing i found weird was that they sent us the booklet to learn and then nothing was done with it. Also allo the rumours of maths tests etc scared the hell out of me and then no mention. I suppose they save that for stage 2.

Woohoo.....
:rolleyes:

Loki
3rd Feb 2007, 12:33
mofoho

We may not know anything about you, but the way you present yourself to the world isn`t helping anyone to treat you seriously. If you do get into the profession (good luck by the way) you will find to be accepted, you are going to have to put up quite cheerfully with ,what on the face of it, is some quite savage "banter". The best amongst us are quite adept at taking the p*ss out of ourselves.....when you start doing that, we may start to think better of you.

Vampy
3rd Feb 2007, 12:59
Jesus. I think people here are being a little bit over sensitive to mofo here. I've read his 1st post a few times. Eager and a little over-excited maybe. Nothing some valium won't sort out.....:)
Another example of the "I want it now!" attitude prevalent in todays society.
Mofoho - your post looks the ravings of a spoilt, self obsessed brat who is the last type of person anyone would wish to employ, never mind being responsible for thousands of lives daily.
Stop being a tw@t and grow up - 15 days means 15 days (or can't candidates count these days? Certainly can't spell that's for certain!)

I certainly didn't pick up this from mofo's posting......
Mofo, ignore these people. These are the same people who would complain that new recruits only join for the money/no interest in the job etc etc. Then as soon as someone is quick to show willing and excitement about a possible career in ATC they shoot them down.
I was in your position 7 years ago. It can be very nerve-racking waiting for your results. In the meantime maybe see if you can visit your local ATC unit. I know you will be asked to do that if you get through the 1st stage anyway, but it will do you no harm at all if you do it now. You could buy some books on ATC, start learning how to identify and tell the difference between different aircraft etc etc. But mainly, don't worry about the results of your tests. They will arrive eventually and you worrying about it won't make them arrive any quicker! :ok:
P.S Apologies in advance to the ATC English Grammar and Spelling Society for any grammatical errors in my post.........:ugh: :ugh: :yuk: :yuk:

mofoho
3rd Feb 2007, 14:03
thanx vampy, post made me feel better *not sarcastic* and im gonna visit the ATC unit if i get thru *say a prayer i do* n ive already done sum aircraft research:8
and in response to chilliconcarne: i was shocked at the motivation exam 2, i learned that bloody booklet inside and out to get asked like 3 questions on it! did u find ne of the aptitude tests difficult?
in response to Loki: "present myself to the world"- this is a forum.
and by the way i am very capable of taking the piss out of myself, its one of my traits *dont no whether thats a good thing or not!* but as i have said before, being called a self-obsessed brat isnt acceptable or "banter" and the person wasnt taking the piss out of me or themselves, they were insulting me for no reason. thats called being a ******** and its really not on.
People like yourself and HD dont exactly encourage wannabe atco's.

quote of the year: "we may start to think better of u". o.dear.god.
i dont care what u think of me, i started this thread to primarily talk to people in the same position as myself.aside from that, on any level, on any forum, at any age or in any profession-u have no right to say that to anyone as if u have the right to judge.

chileconcarne27
3rd Feb 2007, 14:19
You were actually asked questions on the booklet? We only had about 3 questions passed out way during the presentation but nothing major.
We didn't do a 'motivation paper', went straight in for the number/letters/cubes/commands tests, then had a presentation and then had the personality 'which is more true of you' test.

And no i didn't find the tests hard, i think i answered about 32 - 36 out of 40 for pretty much all the tests, apart from the cubes which i can't remember. Maybe that's too many and i ballsed up somewhere seriously but we'll wait and see!

Keeping everything crossed!
Chile

Chilli Monster
3rd Feb 2007, 14:20
mofoho - a gentle word of advice

The people you have a go at here today, are possibly the College Instructors or OJTI's who will sit on your shoulder tomorrow.

ATC is a VERY small world ;)

Loki
3rd Feb 2007, 14:29
Assuming you get that far, you are going to have to start caring what people think of you; trust me, it matters.

Once you get going you will be relying on the goodwill and professionalism of your instructors and the people you will be working alongside. You won`t get far by antagonising the folk you depend on for success.

Once again, good luck in your endeavours.

mofoho
3rd Feb 2007, 14:55
jesus christ. i didnt antagonize anyone, this was not started by me.and i think listening to authority figures give advice or constructively criticise me is a tad different than listening to jibes made my people i dont know on a forum.

mofoho
3rd Feb 2007, 14:59
and yea we were asked questions-we got like an exam asking various things on the information given in the booklet plus a few mathematical scenarious;was quite straight forward tho.and my god! how do u not remember the cubes! dreaded cubes! haunt me!

Flame Lily FX
3rd Feb 2007, 15:13
Shall we all have a group hug and calm down? :)

mofoho
3rd Feb 2007, 15:16
*group hug* *HD is excluded*

Flame Lily FX
3rd Feb 2007, 15:28
Mofo - well you do have a point to be sure. You were merely expressing your heightened anxiety levels waiting for a response.

All the best and let's be totally inclusive in our group hug, eh?

:)

mofoho
3rd Feb 2007, 15:38
*huffs a bit* *folds arms* ...oh okay then! HD IS WELCOME IN GROUP HUG! *waits for response "i dont give a **** about ur group hug u ****"*
:= thanku for making this thread seem fluffy again tho flamelily!

eastern wiseguy
3rd Feb 2007, 15:50
Hey Mo ....cubes were "wee buns"....and tell HD you LOVE listening to, and sharing information,from airband radios......that will make the thread EVEN fluffier!:E :E :E

Flame Lily FX
3rd Feb 2007, 15:59
Nothing wrong with fluffy - in my book!:)

mofoho
3rd Feb 2007, 16:04
fluff is the meaning of life! and today shall officially be known in my diary as:
EVIL ATCO DAY!

Flame Lily FX
3rd Feb 2007, 17:47
Hi Mofoho

At least you seem to possess a good sense of humour and well done for standing your ground and responding appropriately to some of the unwarranted personal comments. :)

Back to the fluff!

All the best.

Brian81
3rd Feb 2007, 20:16
Against my better judgement I feel like joining in this group hug...

Whilst I'm here Id like to re-iterate my colleagues comments.

ATC is a small world. A very small world. The people you meet on the way up are the people who will decide your future in the long run.

When I was going through the process I met 10+ OJTIs at the college through pprune.

My advice? Stay grey... Blend in... Dont stand out...
At the moment, regardless of whether your comments deserved the flaming you have received, you are making yourself a big target...

This isn't a threat, this isn't me having a go... This is the way it is.

Sorry mate... Welcome to ATC.:\

Traaaaaaaaaa!

Point Seven
3rd Feb 2007, 22:57
I think that the young man from NI on here needs to calm down slightly. I understand that he does not like getting jibes form someone he has never met but by displaying the attitude that he has on here, to a number of ATCOs he is not showing the attributes and humility that are sound requisites for being a good trainee. What the heck is an OJTI going to get when he criticises the boy's performance (which WILL happen at some stage)?

Also worth pointing out that HD is a man of donkeys years experience and one of the most listened to and respected voices on here. Perhaps you should join us in that stance.....

P7

mofoho
4th Feb 2007, 02:21
i understand your points and whilst they are very valid i want to make a few of my own:
1: i can take the piss out of myself 2:i can take criticism 3:i really respect professionals and anyone experienced in any field 4:i am aware ATC is a small world but at the same time i havnt given away any details about myself.
i just dont think the way i was responded to was right. thats all. u talk about humility and respect...certain ppl who responded to me dont deserve it of me in this instance. end of.
thanku for ur advice tho, i know ur jus trying to help. i just wudnt talk to ne1 else the way they talked to me.thats the line.

chileconcarne27
4th Feb 2007, 06:38
Looks like you had it harder than we did Mofo. We didn't have any written papers for the stuff in the booklet, or any maths to do! Weird.

Anyone know why the tests might be different?

Which selection place did you go to? I can only presume that we get tested on that if we get through to stage two...

*leaving group hug now, suffocating*

747-436
4th Feb 2007, 07:14
It is not just ATC that is a very small world, the whole of Aviation is a very small world. There is always someone who knows someone that you know!!
Back to the start of the thread, it seems like I had my assesment day on the same day as mofoho as mine was just over a week ago as well. Not sure if it was the same location if they had more than one running at a time.
I had an email exactly a week after informing me that I am moving on to the next stage. :) :)
Don't worry that you haven't heard yet though mofoho, things take different times as I imagine HR have so many people to deal with.
One person who I spoke to at the assesment day had applied in Jan and had about 3 weeks between application and assesment, mine took about 7 weeks so just be patient!
Don't be shocked that the motivation exam didn't cover everything in the booklet, it is just one of the hoops that you have to jump through in order to proceed, I am sure if you get through to the interviews then you will need to demonstrate what you know about what you have learned about ATC.

Also as Point Seven says, respect the opinions and experience of those in who are on here!!

smellysnelly2004
4th Feb 2007, 08:08
Mofoho,
I can fully understand your frustration but in future probably best to just kick the sofa or something - probably less painful in the long run!!
Most people on this forum are wonderfully helpful and even the ones who have crticised you have MOSTLY given some reasoning and insight into how things work. Don't underestimate how small the world is - in 2005 a certain poster from here (now working on foreign shores) arranged me a visit to LATCC (which I found impossible to do alone) and last year the HR lady at the interview asked me if my screen name was smellysnelly2004 and another perennial poster on here was one of the interviewers!!
You may have got some harsh responses but ask the right questions and people will help you. I'm no ATCO (yet) but am starting at the college in March and if you have any questions about interview etc, PM me and I'll try to help.
:ok: :ok: :ok:

Say Again, Over!
4th Feb 2007, 08:29
mofoho,

Let me add my CAN$0.02, if I may:

What I observed from you is not desireable in any trainee I would ever take on. Now, of course, I'm in Canada so you're safe. Worry not.

HD made a remark about your writing in SMS short hand. While you might think it's cool to write this way, you'll find that aviation professionals are rather proud of their communicating skills and shun such practice. Why? I don't know. I think it goes with professionalism. I and most people I know in this business like to show our best in everything we do. Besides, communicating is what I do for a living.

Evidence of our obsession will be seen throughout the PPRUNE forums in the form of intolerance of bad grammar, big words, avoidance of clichés, pride in one's translating skills, etc...

Is it right? Is it wrong? I have an opinion in the matter but most importantly, it is how the world you're so desperate to get into is. You might not like it but...

Not unnoticed by a lot of us, also, is how you ignored most ATCOs on this forum (or argued against their counsel) and instead chose to have a nice little rant with your fellow hopefuls. It is your right, of course. This is a public forum. But who would you rather have as your friend?

Good luck,

Felix

flower
4th Feb 2007, 08:45
"I thought you would have known that sometimes *just sometimes* people don't write perfect english whilst typing on casual communication systems, such as forums, messenger systems and email.

One of the very first things you will learn should you be successful is that in ATC we do everything correctly every time. It was drummed into me that if you always do it correctly that when the **** hits the fan you won't have to think you just do.
I am quite sure you think we are all anally retentive however there is a genuine perception that if you cannot even be bothered to write correctly then what hope is there that you will give your all to a very tough job.
That is not a criticism directed at you per see but at people in general who seem to think that it is OK to take short cuts.
I hope you get your news soon and if it is good perhaps a little more grace towards those who will give you a great deal of advice and encouragement won't go amiss.

Ppdude
4th Feb 2007, 10:19
My friend was had a very similar attidude to Mofo or whatever you are called. The fact that he would'nt wind his neck in when needed meant that he set himself up as a target every other week. Whilst you may make it through the college, when you get to a unit your face needs to fit. Like it or not thats the way it is. If you want to validate(he did not) then say yes and nod in all the right places. After you qualify you can be however you like, there is always one like you on every watch.

Inverted81
4th Feb 2007, 10:37
Nomoofo.... or whatever..
my tip BE GREY. Then you should be fine.

With regard to waiting times pah! Thats nothing at all. it took 2 years from my initial application to being called for initial selection (they were moving HR about the place).

Keep patient but keen :E

Ppdude
4th Feb 2007, 10:44
I agree with Inverted, you have to just blend in. One more thing Moofassa....You need to learn patience. It took on average 6 years for all my lot to validate by the time you get through the college and to the unit and all that. Althought I hear now you only spend a week at the college instead of 18 months, and 3 days of that will be induction, top team, canteen famil, and finding somewhere to park.

Flame Lily FX
4th Feb 2007, 10:59
Can we just be reminded of Mofoho's original post i.e......."if ne1 is in the same boat as me please join the rant!":) Thought that would be self-explanatory really:).

Respek...keep it real!:)

Flame Lily FX
4th Feb 2007, 11:10
Isn't grey................................................for sheep?:)

Oooh.. am overcome with warm, fuzzy, fluffy feelings here.......!;)

mofoho
4th Feb 2007, 11:55
I have not ignored any ATCO on this and I have listened to everyone's advice whether it has been something I wanted to hear or something I did not want to hear. I have taken each point in to consideration and recorded it for my training although whilst a lot of it is good intentioned I would like to say that my online personality is very different than that of the personality that would shine through if I get to the college.
This major point is something many of you have over-looked.
I am a shy person who hates to be noticed and I never ever argue with authority figures unless I think there is a grave injustice or moral issue.
I respect people for their experience despite the fact thay might be a bit of an ass about it.
This however is the internet, I am a nicknamed user on a forum which I have barely used, I am at home right now. I feel I have been picked on as if I were not.
I do not think it is "cool" to write short on the internet and from now on *if I continue to post here* I will refrain from doing so. Despite this it should be realised that me posting this way does not mean I am not professional in my approach to matters or bad at communicating with others.
I'm not egotistical but in response to that point: My communication skills through writing and speaking have been noted by other professionals in a very positive manner.
The problem is that as a new user on this forum I was not aware I had to meet any standard aside from 1:do not be abusive on the forum 2:do not post porn etcetc.
I am probably talking to a brick wall right now, many brick walls but I am sure that on this occasion and in the context of a forum, I am ok.

Number2
4th Feb 2007, 11:56
Lily

"Respek...keep it real"
Oh yes, I can see comments like that going down very well after a bebrief at Hurn........

MF

'I am a shy person who hates to be noticed and I never ever argue with authority figures' - CLEARLY!!!!

'1:do not be abusive' - I refer you to your earlier post where some of us were told to #### off!

'This major point is something many of you have over-looked' - obviously, it's everybody else's fault but yours.

mofoho
4th Feb 2007, 11:57
small note:I want a big fluffy ball to roll down a hill and kill me right...NOW.

mofoho
4th Feb 2007, 12:11
I am a shy person who never argues with authority figures.
And I apologise for telling some of you to **** off but considering an older and very experienced ATCO called me a self obsessed brat **** I think that maybe I should be forgiven on that one.

Flame Lily FX
4th Feb 2007, 12:29
Hi Number2

In what form do bebriefs come?:)

You all sound so very important.....I feel so out of my comfort zone here with so many experts sitting in judgement!;)

Hurn...we have a problem.....!:)

smellysnelly2004
4th Feb 2007, 13:06
I don't get you mofoho,

You want to be an ATCO, there are many here who will gladly offer advice and assistance yet you continue to snarl and react - I appreciate you feel picked on but how about considering what will help you in achieving your goal? Arguing on here over who started it or something won't help.

I'm sure you are very different face to face but all I can see is what you type. There will undoubtedly be more attacks on you in this thread. Let it lie and get on with learning for (hopefully) the 2nd stage.

Flame Lily FX
4th Feb 2007, 13:35
Smellysnelly - Sorry but I don't see any evidence of what you state about Mofoho i.e. '..continue to snarl and react...' What I do read is Mofoho offering an eloquent, acceptable explanation and, previously, an apology. That's all positive and healthy and shows good self-awareness, IMHO.

I feel sure that any constructive advice/guidance and career tips are gratefully received by everyone on the Tinternet.

Just my perspective on things.:)

Moving swiftly on.:O

All the best.

high-hopes
4th Feb 2007, 14:14
Looks like the teenagers are taking over the ATC forum now.

I thought they were confined to the wannabe pilots section ;)

smellysnelly2004
4th Feb 2007, 14:18
Lily my love,

The point is that when using a forum like this, you are not going to endear the locals by niggling and name calling. You may not see it that way but i do, and I'm sure there are others that agree. Anyways, I have no gripe with you, or mofoho to be honest and as you rightly say there was an apology.

Back to my lovely Sunday full of Thatchers Gold Cider and live football - MAGIC!!:D :ok:

Flame Lily FX
4th Feb 2007, 14:28
Smellysnelly Dahlink

I value your opinions and contributions and you have greatly endeared yourself to me by calling me Lily My Love :O.

Are you watching Arsenal perchance?

High Hopes....teenagers and pilots.....perish the thought!!!!!:)

smellysnelly2004
4th Feb 2007, 14:31
Played yesterday. Tis Man USA today.

PPRuNe Radar
4th Feb 2007, 16:18
This thread has diverged well away from professional ATC discussion.

Endex.