PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Yankyland! (no offence meant)

GWidgery
2nd Feb 2007, 22:52
Flying with a JAA PPL in the states.

I'm planing to take a holiday (vacation) to the USA this summer and would like to do some (cheap) flying over there! What are the necessary steps to being able to do this?

Do i need a complete licence conversion to the FAA PPL or will just a "checkride" suffice?

Many thanks
GWidgery

Flyin'Dutch'
3rd Feb 2007, 06:31
All good stuff but apart from the bit on the medical.

You need either an FAA medical OR a medical valid with your JAR licence.

gcolyer
3rd Feb 2007, 08:05
I have said this a million times before. When I got my FAA PPL based on my JAA, the FAA FISDO in Albany isisted that I had an FAA medical. Now I know this is not a law but the FAA can deny the application if you don't do what they say.

Don't get me wrong I like dealing with the FAA far more than the JAA. Much cheaper and not so many hoops to jumpo through.

Oh and flying in the US is great fun.

Pitts2112
3rd Feb 2007, 16:58
Oh, and by the way. Americans don't like being referred to as "Yanky". It's "Yankee"! :)
And only in the northeast! Call a southerner a Yankee and you'll find out what rednecks are REALLY all about. It may have been over 140 years ago, but they're still a bit touchy on the subject.
Pitts2112
who is one

StillStanding
4th Feb 2007, 09:54
I'm sure that initial flight training requires a visa and TSA clearance, but less sure about ratings. This is from a flight school web site in Florida:

"Training of Foreign Nationals holding a current license: Flight reviews, proficiency checks, tailwheel, high-performance, and complex endorsements are EXEMPT from the new TSA rules."

balboa
4th Feb 2007, 10:03
I'm off over there soon- can you just steam into major airports such as Las Vegas with minimum fuss and no fees or is it more complicated than that?