PDA

View Full Version : Checklist colour

flyhardmo
1st Feb 2007, 07:36
Wondering if there is anyone that has done research on the best colours to use for normal and emergency checklist's. Perhaps some academics, flight safety officers or maybe professional pilots might have heard or experienced coloured checklists that were easier to follow or read due to their colour.
I have heard that yellow background and black writing works well for normal checklists.
Thanks

xetroV
1st Feb 2007, 08:45
NASA has done some studies in checklist design. In particular, you might find the publications from Asaf Degani interesting. Here (http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?N=0&Ntk=all&Ntx=mode%20matchall&Ntt=degani%2Bchecklist) is a quick search result for Degani + checklist.

CAP 676, "Guidance on the Design, Presentation and Use of Emergency and Abnormal Checklists" may also be useful; I don't know if this deals with colour, though.

Finally I know that Boeing is currently studying a complete redesign of their QRH procedures, including a new colour lay-out for emergency checklists; perhaps they could provide you with some more information too.

flyhardmo
2nd Feb 2007, 13:22
Thanks for the reply. Interesting website. I'll plough through it and i'm sure what im looking for would be in there.. Cheers