PDA

View Full Version : Trial flights in permit aircraft

xrayalpha
31st Jan 2007, 22:09
Hi,

I have been asked by someone if they can fly "trial flights" from a local airfield.

The person said that their historic aircraft is on a permit to fly and that all flights will be as unpaid extras along with a historic aircraft club membership.

This is, I have been told, how Jet Provost and Hunter flights can be offered.

The pilot is not an instructor, the airfield is unlicenced.

I suppose, because I teach on microlights (which are permit aircraft and can be used for training from unlicenced field) he thought I'd know the answer.

But I don't. Sounds like bending rules a bit far to me. Anyone know chapter and verse, and how JP flights are offered?

Very best to all

VFE
31st Jan 2007, 22:39
I'm not great with these things but sounds to me like it could fall under public transport. Does the pilot have a CPL? That's very least required from him if this is a revenue making flight. Don't risk anything - call the CAA.

VFE.

bogbeagle
1st Feb 2007, 08:58
You can get away with this.

What you are selling is club membership, not aeroplane rides. The rides are said to be inconsequential and your fee covers membership of, say, the Jet Provost club. The pilot need not hold a commercial licence, since he is not flying for remuneration.

Not sure of the exact details, but be assured that this can be done legally, though just barely....it's happening now and the CAA has been unable to prevent it.

I suppose that, if an accident were to occur, the "student" would have to sue the pilot or owner for compensation. Since the "student" was accepting a freebie flight, it may be difficult to make a good case.

I don't think that this has been tested in court. You could be the first !

xrayalpha
1st Feb 2007, 14:06
It's OK, I won't be getting away with it - I am a flexwing microlight instructor, I wouldn't even know how to fly it!

This truly is about "someone I know" rather than me!

greeners
2nd Feb 2007, 10:52
Sorry, but what has been suggested is not going to work legally - no chance whatsoever. Avoid.

xrayalpha
2nd Feb 2007, 19:36
Took VFE's advice, called CAA.

Apparently it is legal - as long as getting a flight is not offered as a guaranteed perk of being a member of the "club".

If there is any suggestion that you are guaranteed a flight, it's illegal.

If it is just something that might - possibly even probably - will happen, then it is OK, albeit a grey area.

It appears it is "light grey", but it all depends on how much you want to spoend on legal fees when it all goes pear-shapes,

Very best wishes,

Colin

greeners
3rd Feb 2007, 16:03
Sadly, in the event of it going pear shaped, I very much doubt that the insurance company will take the same view.