PDA

View Full Version : Night Flying on a vanilla PPL

tacpot
30th Jan 2007, 20:18
Can I check my understanding about night flying on my vanilla PPL (i.e. No IMC Rating / no Instrument Rating):

At night, there is no VFR Flight possible, so for me all flight must be under either IFR in Class F & G airspace or Special VFR in Classes A - D.

In Class G airspace, at night on a vanilla PPL, the PPL VMC minima still apply even though I'm flying under IFR. (?)

So in Class G:
Below 3000', I need 3KM vis (5KM if > 140Kts), be clear of cloud and in sight of the ground, and obeying Rule 5.
Above 3000', I need 5KM vis, be 1000' vertical seperated from cloud and 1500m laterally seperated from cloud, and in sight of the ground. Because I'm under IFR I also need to be obeying the quadrantal rule (flying the correct flight level for my magnetic track with 1013.2mb set on the altimeter) and flying at least 1000' above the nearest 'thing' within 5nm of my track. (?)

In Class D, I need an SVFR Clearance and 10KM of visibility (unless the airspace is notified for the purposes of Schedule 8 of the ANO), be clear of cloud and in sight of the ground (at least enough to 'determine my flight path' and 'avoid obstructions'), and obeying those parts of Rule 5 that apply. I have to do what ATC tell me what to do, but I can refuse if it would reduce my forward visibility to less than 10KM (or the notified limit), take me into cloud or out of sight of the ground. (?)

Is there anything I have forgotten or need to know further?

Thanks

tp

172driver
30th Jan 2007, 21:19
Not sure about the vanilla, but I prefer the strawberry - no probs there :ok:

S-Works
30th Jan 2007, 21:40
172 driver, very helpfull... not.....

tacpot, in a nutshell yes.

Johnm
30th Jan 2007, 21:46
Tacpot as Bose-x says you've got it right from a practical point of view. Without an IMC or IR you can't fly IFR in any controlled airspace therefore SVFR is the only option, even with an IMC you can't fly IFR in Class A. You can fly IFR outside controlled airspace and SVFR is not available. Clear?:rolleyes:

Slopey
30th Jan 2007, 22:54
Can I check my understanding about night flying on my vanilla PPL (i.e. No IMC Rating / no Instrument Rating):

You do have a Night Rating/Qualification though?

tacpot
30th Jan 2007, 23:23
I knew I would forget something! Yes, All the above assumes I have a night rating.

Life's a Beech
31st Jan 2007, 00:55
Tacpot

You seem to have a far clearer understanding of the requirements and rules than many other pilots. I know ATC get frustrated with people trying to say they are VFR at night. I cannot see any errors in your initial post, apart from the small matter of the night rating! Even that I managed to avoid, as the only PPL I ever held was FAA, which includes night privileges.

172driver
31st Jan 2007, 07:26
172 driver, very helpfull... not.....
tacpot, in a nutshell yes.

Sorry, Bose - just couldn't resist this one ;)

Whopity
31st Jan 2007, 15:08
A couple of errors:

and flying at least 1000' above the nearest 'thing' within 5nm of my track. (?) No 5nm from the AIRCRAFT not TRACK!

(unless the airspace is notified for the purposes of Schedule 8 of the ANO) Certain airfields were notified for the purposes of Sched 8. That was eliminated about 9 years ago!

IO540
31st Jan 2007, 15:36
No 5nm from the AIRCRAFT not TRACK!

Not sure I follow the difference. This is a flight planning issue, surely.