PDA

View Full Version : When to start instructor rating?

mlee
30th Jan 2007, 19:39
Hi, just a quick question because I've herd a few rumours on what you can and cant do. Is it possible to start an instructor rating before starting your CPL?

BlueRobin
30th Jan 2007, 19:49
In a word, "yes". :)

MIKECR
30th Jan 2007, 19:53
You can do it with just your ATPL's, you dont need to have passed the CPL. You wont get paid though without the CPL

BlueRobin
30th Jan 2007, 20:01
But you can consecutively do the rating then the licence.

mlee
30th Jan 2007, 20:20
I have all 14 exams under the belt. What sort of wages can a PPL instructor expect to pick up? (With a CPL)

BlueRobin
30th Jan 2007, 20:26
Read the FI forum here for plenty of threads.

Basically 15k PPL working very long hours.

Deano777
30th Jan 2007, 22:12

If you're lucky :)

pipergirl
30th Jan 2007, 22:42
Yes, you can start a Flight Instructor's rating with a PPL, but you must have 150 hours PIC AND the 14 ATPL exams under your belt.

You'll find all the info you need about the FI rating in Section H of LASORS-

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/SECTION%20H%20.pdf

Best of luck:)

gibr monkey
31st Jan 2007, 11:27
Wages vary....

You can get paid £10 per hour and no retainer.... which in the summer is not a bad wage... because you could do up to 6 hours of flying a day everyday... I have and its very tiring...
Or you could be payed a salary to instuct if you have some experiance which is what I am doing right now.... £22 K which is more than a lot of 1st officers in turbo props!
Find the best you can get there are a lot of desperate operators out there but also some stick in the muds !

portsharbourflyer
3rd Feb 2007, 21:32
In general as said before the standard rate has been 10 to 15 pounds an hour for the last couple of years.
However lately there are signs that instructor pay is starting to pick up; two schools (one advertised in Flight International) another one on the BALPA webiste were advertising rates of 24 to 28 pounds per hour flown. Plus another advert on pprune itself was advertising a salaried position, with flight pay extra to the salary. Lets hope these are not one off "generous" offers but a sign of improving conditions. Possibly the increase in SSTR schemes in the airline industry may be reducing the supply of instructors.