PDA

View Full Version : JAR and UK Licences and IMC privileges

Blakey
30th Jan 2007, 17:13
All the good instructors assure me that there are no stupid questions - so here goes and I hope that some of you experts can help.
My day job (OK to be honest, as a freight dog it is normally a night job) flying a non UK registered aircraft means that I have a JAR ATPL (UK issued) with a JAR multi crew IR on it which along with my medical is beautifully in date. Similarly, the FI(A) which I have from the CAA is on my JAR licence with all the restrictions removed. All of this means that I can instruct quite happily and legally in the UK (and anywhere in "JAR land" I suspect).
I also have a UK national ATPL which is still in date and was originally issued with my current aircraft type and rating on it. However, working for a non UK company I then had a UK JAR licence issued for my work use. As both licences have insert/remove pages which APPEAR to be the same, how much of the above can I use in my UK licence? I have checked that the medical, issued by a UK doctor can be used in either but what about the rating and FI(A).
The more astute will have worked out that the reason behind all this is the validity of my IMC flying using an IMC rating (in UK only of course) which my UK licence allows me to use if I have an instrument rating.
Any help from the experts out there would be much appreciated.
Many thanks,
Blakey

Whopity
30th Jan 2007, 17:38
Both licences are UK issued and have the same number. You can freely move revalidation pages from one to the other provided that the rating on the revalidation page is also in Part XII of the licence in which you want to use it.

The more astute will have worked out that the reason behind all this is the validity of my IMC flying using an IMC rating (in UK only of course) which my UK licence allows me to use if I have an instrument rating.
Wrong!
Your UK ATPL licence privileges include the privileges of a UK IMC rating, this has nothing whatsoever to do with the Instrument Rating or its validity.
Since Jan 2000 the IR privileges of a UK or JAA licence are exactly the same!

Most people keep their old UK professional licence simply to retain the IMC privileges.