PDA

View Full Version : Simulator Instructors under the influence of alcohol

md902man
30th Jan 2007, 10:14
I'm not sure that this is the place to post this question but if a simulator instructor has a drink problem, and is teaching say Initial Instrument training to relatively inexperienced pilots, is it okay for him to be drinking during the day and, quite obviously, be considerably under the influence of alcohol whilst teaching?

PS Would you pay for simulator teaching with this person?

keithl
30th Jan 2007, 11:16
Of course its not OK!

But I suspect you already know that. As a Sim Instructor myself (and very far from TT) I'm not aware of any actual Rule or Law that deals with it. In my case, company policy keeps me right, and that's where I'd expect you to find guidance.

It is wrong on at least two counts. One, that it sets an outrageous example to those who are entering a very drink-sensitive profession. Two, simulators can be dangerous in some circumstances, and people shouldn't operate such machinery whern under the influence.

And a third thing is, it could get all us sim instructors a bad name.

So, sensitively, considerately and with due regard to all the equalities...SHOP 'IM!

Thirty Eight South
31st Jan 2007, 01:44
As we say in the former colonies:

'There's 24 cans in case and 24 hours in a day - coincidence?'

Get a grip

bflyer
31st Jan 2007, 07:32
A simulator instructor cannot get you killed if under the influance but it would be a destructive message to be given to new student pilots
i am certain that an experienced pilot would not allow such a person to give him any kind of instruction whatsoever
besides..instructors..in simulators or otherwise are role models and should act as such

md902man
31st Jan 2007, 09:21
Ok, so i'll say nothing to him as his employer is well aware of his problem and it's non of my business. Pity because he's knowledgable but killing himself with his problem. It may just be that his employer will read this and take action, who knows. :hmm: :ugh:

Pugilistic Animus
31st Jan 2007, 13:26
Definitely not appropriate on the following grounds- all obvious.

* the instuctor can not monitor the students progress correctly and watch for the subtle inconsistancies in critical areas like TO because alcohol lowers inhibition a mindset of " to heck with it let em go below DH without a visual, I don't care" may ensue
* it is a bad message
* a simulated event should be as real as possible a noticeably drunk instructor would dampen the "reality play" required as such events during training are highly unusual

as devil's advocate--- a few dollars wasted on such a guy would prove a valuable CRM lesson ?-I guess.

there's probably a billion reaons against, and a million for.

fernytickles
3rd Feb 2007, 22:31
Came across this by chance. Presumably, as with everything in the the world nowadays, the simulator owner/operator has to have insurance against whatever happening. Even if their company ops don't ban sim instructors from being under the influence, presumably the insurance company would have problems paying out if something went awry and the instructor was known to be not quite sober?