PDA

View Full Version : Area to Aerodrome Blindspots

Colonel Gimble
28th Jan 2007, 08:28
I'm a former NATS area student about to fund his own aerodrome licence. Do any aerodrome OJTI's know of any areas (pardon the pun) that ACS types tend to be blind to in ADI Ops?

Regards and Thanks

The Colonel

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Jan 2007, 13:14
What's that in English, Col?

chevvron
28th Jan 2007, 14:31
He's referring to European common ratings Bren;you retired too early.
I have ADV, ADI, APP, APS and ACS, that's ADC, APP, APP/RAD and Area Radar as was, and I've also held PAR.

Colonel Gimble
29th Jan 2007, 07:48
Director and anyone else reading!

I'm just wondering if there tends to be any parts of aerodrome control that ex area types tend to be blind to or trip up on? I've been doing unit visits and find that aerodrome has quite a different language - just trying to give myself the easiest ride possible.

Hold West
29th Jan 2007, 07:57
Gimble,

I made that transition years ago, after about ten years in the center radar environment, I spent some time in a tower. For me, there were two things I found, well, if not difficult, at least a major change.

First, there are no data tags on airplanes you see out the window. A bunch of airplanes taxiing all painted the same can get confusing unless you hone your memory skills.

The other was looking all over for information. In the center, everything I needed to know was right in front of me. In the tower, I had to look at the tower radar display, out the window, and at strips on the podium... sometimes all at once, and I had to gather different bits of information on the same aircraft from all three. Learn to multi-task even more than in the center.

Good luck.

Colonel Gimble
29th Jan 2007, 08:41
Hold West,

thanks for that, its much appreciated! Especially as its a £14K investment I want to get it right!

Regards Gimble

Barnaby the Bear
29th Jan 2007, 22:50
To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it. You will have to do the course from scratch so just go in as if you know nowt.
They will teach you all you need to know to get through the course. Anything that might cross over will just be a bonus.
Good luck. :ok: