PDA

View Full Version : Red striped epaulettes

Telstar
28th Jan 2007, 07:54
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1167864&size=L&TopOfYest=yes

Just wondering what the Jumpseaters intermeshed red stripes mean? Is he a training Captain/Check Airman.

Anyone operated in a triple Captain Rated crew? I can't imagine the Cocpit gradient and CRM conflicts. IS this necessarily a good idea?

Kak Klaxon
28th Jan 2007, 08:00
Red stripes normally indicate an engineer,so I guess he is the flight engineer.

scroggs
28th Jan 2007, 12:11
All three of them have four stripes, so maybe it's a 'my stripes are better than your stripes' kind of thing? I've never seen an FE with four stripes!

More seriously, in UK, Flight Engineers traditionally had a purple background to their rank epaulettes in memoriam to the heroic 35 engineers of the RMS Titanic, led by Joseph Bell. To ensure that the men and their deeds were never forgotten, England's then King, George V, decreed that British Marine Engineers should henceforth show a purple background on their rank insignia. This tradition was adopted by the aviation community, and was certainlu used by BOAC, BA and Virgin Atlantic - and probably many others.

The red background, IIRC, is for medical officers of the Royal Navy and Merchant Navy. Whether such insignia are worn by other countries, either in a maritime or aviation sense, I couldn't say.

Scroggs

richie-rich
28th Jan 2007, 21:00
I am pretty sure he is a FE, because one of my uncle's is a Capt with Biman and I remember asking him this question on FE's wearing so many stripes many years back as a kid. If memory serves me right, then he is a "SENIOR FE."

Take care
Richie

Midland63
28th Jan 2007, 21:28
I'm no expert but if it's a DC10, then I'm guessing he's the FE with his seat turned forward for final approach - No?

Anyway, it's a great picture but how in this post 9/11 locked flight deck door era did the photographer get access to the f/d?

M63

PS interesting to hear about the red epaulettes being a memory of the Titanic.

PPS - is the guy in the RH seat doing an Elvis impersonation?

richie-rich
28th Jan 2007, 21:45
Capt Elvis, he sure is! :E

N1 Vibes
5th Feb 2007, 04:28
RE Scroggs comments - Cathay Pacific classic 747 FE's also have the purple background for the same reason.

Dengue_Dude
7th Feb 2007, 18:00
Well talking of Biman . . .

I saw the captain with 4 - most appropriate.

The Copilot with 4 - he was an ex Airbus 310 skipper, but now a professional 1st officer.

Flight Engineer with FOUR because he'd been with the company 20 years (red between the bars)

Purser with 4 - long service etc

Two ground engineers each with 4 (thinner) stripes.

Gentlemen, (and ladies) now you can see why the stab trim is so powerful.

They're SO image conscious, however sadly, not much of that is translated into professionalism.

I'll stick with my three - at least they mean something.

A and C
7th Feb 2007, 19:07
In these post 9/11 days not all goverments are as stupid as the as the British and access to the flight deck is given to people who are not a security risk.

In the UK you can't get on the flight deck unless you have to have flight deck access. It is an policy that has gone too far and is hampering pilot and controller education and has no grounding in common sense the result is flight safety is taking a back seat to security, just take a look at the recent cabin crew initiated evacuation during engine start that was the result of not being able to contact the pilots due to the locked door policy

Fortunatly some goverments in the free world let the airlines decide who has access to the flight deck.

TheGorrilla
10th Feb 2007, 18:32
A nevermind that. I wan't to be the guy that turns up in denim blue jeans and Hawaiian shirt, sits in the left seat and monitors things while receiving a massage.

:cool: :cool: :cool: