PDA

View Full Version : Russian air traffic control prevents collision of two aircraft

flyblue
27th Jan 2007, 19:29
MOSCOW. Jan 26 (Interfax) - Russian air traffic controllers prevented a Turkish aircraft and an Air France Airbus-321 from colliding on January 25, the press service of the state corporation for air traffic control said on Friday.
As a result of a mistake by a Turkish pilot, the Beech 400 Beechjet aircraft missed the set altitude, and the two planes found themselves on the same line flying towards each other.
Thanks to the professionalism of an air traffic controller, the collision of the two planes was prevented, he said.
"Having noticed that the Turkish plane continued to climb higher than the set altitude, the air traffic controller immediately ordered it to stop climbing and to descend to its set altitude of 3,000 meters.
"The slow reaction of the Turkish pilots left the plane at an altitude of 3,260 meters. Only after persistent demands did they return to their set altitude," it said.
http://www.interfax.ru/e/B/0/28.html?id_issue=11666673

LRdriver II
27th Jan 2007, 20:39
oh yes.. the flying in meters, combined with qnh/qfe screwup and calculating from meters to feet for the alt preselect.

njet problem

eastern wiseguy
28th Jan 2007, 02:28
air traffic control prevents collision of two aircraft

Surely thats what we are paid to do?:confused: :confused:

dudduddud
28th Jan 2007, 05:18
Welcome to 1959.

http://mit.edu/6.933/www/Fall2000/mode-s/atc.html

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Jan 2007, 07:30
Yep... been there, done that, got the tee-shirt, bought the mug, but never got on the front page!

121,9_za
28th Jan 2007, 08:58
Wow - maybe we should move to russia!!! Getting a story in the newspaper because you did your job???? My word - what an amzing thing!!!!! On the other hand - at least it's not ATC or Pilot bashing again!!!;)

FBW390
28th Jan 2007, 09:13
Good job for ATC!
But what kind of pilot is in the B400???
- misses the altitude
- slow response
- unable to return to assigned altitude

Did AF A321 or ATC issue an Airprox? ATC authorities check license?

FBW 390

AlanM
28th Jan 2007, 09:35
Brilliant stuff. Pat on the back for the controller.... and watching the radar and spotting errors is clearly a news event there (which is more of a worry....)

flyblue
28th Jan 2007, 10:04
I can see why the Russians are patting on the back the only Russian involved :E ; but what I found intriguing were the possible reasons why the B400 was slow to react.

FBW390
28th Jan 2007, 11:15
Mike:
Yes, I think you' re right. These chaps certainly didn' t have the same training
we had before going in eastern Europe countries.:rolleyes:
Fbw 390.

LRdriver II
28th Jan 2007, 11:15
<<<< But what kind of pilot is in the B400??? >>>>
<<<< "Having noticed that the Turkish plane ....>>>>
Now, if that was their first departure from a Moscow airport, & if you haven't been there yourself, here are a few difficulties you have to face:
Invariably, no SID is given to you, you have to work it out - even asking for confirmation often gets no useful response!
Low temperatures give excellent aircraft climb performance.
SID says max rate climb for noise purposes......
.....but with a low QFE (say 980 Mb to make the maths easy), when you chance to 1013.2, whoops, instant 1000+ ft altimeter climb.
SID/routeing/cleared altitude can sometimes be changed immediately on check-in with first airborne frequency, 4 items of critical information all at once (including next frequency change!).
Numerous frequency changes within very short time, often only 1500 - 3000 ft intervals at lower altitudes.
Language issues - some Moscow ATC transmissions aren't the clearest in the world sometimes, associated with phraseology perhaps unusual to some pilots - "Climb standard 2000m" = Climb FL 2000m.
So, it's all happened before in Moscow airspace, & I bet it will happen again on a regular basis!
Now, of course, at Thames Radar ......... :ok:
NAil on head.
thats how quickly it happens. fly further east and you work in millimeters and limited english. See how easy it is to screw up when you dont have all the fancy gizmos that convert everything like a fully EFIS'd up aircraft

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Jan 2007, 13:11
<<Now, of course, at Thames Radar ......... >>

Thames Radar, Mike? They deal about 90% with clockwork mice (but I wouldn't have their job for a million quid... and I almost certainly couldn't do it anyway).