PDA

View Full Version : Faa Ppl

TheOtherSide
27th Jan 2007, 12:49
Hello All.

I am after the best "value for money FAA PPL". Somewhere with some sunshine would be great. After doing it in the sortest time possible due to work commitments.

Thanks In Advance

TheOtherSide!

Engine Noise
27th Jan 2007, 13:32
try oft, they do the vip course for two weeks i guess at sebastian florida.

Whopity
28th Jan 2007, 08:17
Fast to learn, Fast to forget! Is that really good value for money?

gcolyer
28th Jan 2007, 09:28
Why not do a 21 day JAA course in Florida, and get an FAA license based on the JAA?

Two for the price of one.

IO540
28th Jan 2007, 11:01
Question: are there any schools in the USA where one can do a JAA PPL, other than Florida?

I am thinking of Arizona in particular.

The person in question is thinking about going to the USA to do this, plus a standalone FAA PPL as well (because he wants to do an FAA IR later), and I suggested AZ because the weather there is 99+ % fine.

Alternatively, is there a route to a JAA PPL based on flight training in the USA? I don't think there is; I believe all towards-JAA flying has to be done in Europe, with a JAA instructor, etc.

gcolyer
28th Jan 2007, 13:47
The person in question is thinking about going to the USA to do this, plus a standalone FAA PPL as well (because he wants to do an FAA IR later), and I suggested AZ because the weather there is 99+ % fine.

You can add an FAA IR to your FAA license that is based on your JAA license.

Obviously you have to do the FAA IR course.

gcolyer
28th Jan 2007, 13:49
Alternatively, is there a route to a JAA PPL based on flight training in the USA? I don't think there is; I believe all towards-JAA flying has to be done in Europe, with a JAA instructor, etc.

IO you lost me on this one. JAA training does not have to be done in Europe. Or have i missread you??

IO540
28th Jan 2007, 16:20
OK let me re-phrase it.

Q1: are there any schools in the USA where one can do a JAA PPL, other than Florida?

Q2: is there any way to do flight training in the USA, in a normal U.S. (non-JAA-approved) school, which can then be used towards a JAA PPL whose checkride (skills test, whatever you call it) is done in the UK? I am 99% sure the answer to this one is NO as I believe that for the hours to qualify they need to be done with a JAA instructor and probably under a JAA approved school.

scooter boy
28th Jan 2007, 18:59
Fast to learn, Fast to forget! Is that really good value for money?

That's one way of looking at it Whopity.:rolleyes:

My experience was that doing the FAA PPL intensively (13 days) gave me no time to forget between flights.

On return to the UK one can either fly as much as possible to reinforce the lessons learned in the US or let the qualification languish.

Where we learn to fly is all down to personal preference.

As regards VFM (3 letters very close to my heart) learning in a more reliable climate in an intensive way where everything costs considerably less was an easy decision.

The license after all is just a piece of paper and the real learning doesn't begin until later on...

Just my opinion.

SB

172driver
28th Jan 2007, 20:41
OK let me re-phrase it.

Q1: are there any schools in the USA where one can do a JAA PPL, other than Florida?

Q2: is there any way to do flight training in the USA, in a normal U.S. (non-JAA-approved) school, which can then be used towards a JAA PPL whose checkride (skills test, whatever you call it) is done in the UK? I am 99% sure the answer to this one is NO as I believe that for the hours to qualify they need to be done with a JAA instructor and probably under a JAA approved school.

IO, why the hassle ? You can do the FAA PPL in the US, then fly there and here (as we know, the CAA accepts the FAA PPL for flying G-reg), build your hours and then do the conversion to JAR. Even gives you the NQ, as it's part of the FAA syllabus anyway. Can't remember the exact hour requirements, but they can be found in LASORs, avail from the CAA website.

On a different note, I would agree with Scooter Boy that intensive training is better than a PPL drawn out over a year or so in this lovely English WX :{

OVC002
29th Jan 2007, 20:06
Q2: is there any way to do flight training in the USA, in a normal U.S. (non-JAA-approved) school, which can then be used towards a JAA PPL whose checkride (skills test, whatever you call it) is done in the UK?
AIUI, if you have an FAA issued PPL and less than 100hrsTT, you need to pass all the JAA ground exams and the skills test. More than 100hrsTT just Air law, Human Performance and the skills test will do. The JAA NQ is not included.
IMHO, if one is inexperienced, even if it is not a requirement on a G reg, passing the JAA stuff would seem to make sense from a familiarisation point of view.

drauk
29th Jan 2007, 20:15

I believe Rainbow Air at Long Beach, California, do a JAA PPL. Or they used to at least.

172driver
29th Jan 2007, 20:43
The JAA NQ is not included.

Incorrect. It is if you fulfill the requirements (don't recall now, but it's a few hours, think 5 and the associated landings), which is pretty much what you'll have to do for the FAA PPL anyway.

IO540
29th Jan 2007, 22:00
Thank you all for the pointers; much appreciated.

These enquiries are not for me; they are for a few people who have asked me which way I think they should go about the whole process. And as you all know my opinions are freely given :) :)

One individual wants to do it all in the USA during a 4-week block, but also thereafter wants to fly both N-reg (in the USA) and JAA-reg (in Europe). So just an FAA PPL is not enough (would be fine for an N-reg and G-reg only, of course).

Interesting about the ICAO -> JAA concessions. I bet you the CAA is reading these forums and they are going to pull these concessions pretty soon. They have pulled the Class 1 - Class 1 medical one just weeks after it became well known, despite it being on their website for about a year (this was about an ICAO CPL/ATPL with an ICAO Class 1 medical being able to get the initial JAA Class 1 medical on renewal limits). Not sure what this tells us. On the one hand, the CAA validates ICAO licenses for a G-reg, on the other hand their in-house medical group seems pretty powerful and protective. Still, EASA will take over the whole lot soon.

IO540
30th Jan 2007, 06:41
I think it's fair to say there is a general presumption in European aviation that the pilot is dishonest and incapable of flying, and he must (regularly) prove otherwise. Whereas in the USA the default (in this context) is that he is honest and current and he should be left alone unless something happens.

So, while the FAA IR and the JAA IR involves a similar standard of flying at the initial checkride, the JAA IR needs an annual checkride with an examiner, while the FAA one can be self-extended through recency.

Personally I have no problem with paying 30 quid (it must cost the CAA far more than that to type up a letter - if you take that person's annual salary, proportion of office floorspace/rent, etc, and divide it by the # of letters they produce in a year) but it's the principle of putting up barriers to ICAO license/rating holders for no objective reason. Job safeguarding, IMHO.

However, I think the reason why the USA is the "land of aviation freedom" is more due to one factor than any other: several hundred national-level politicians have PPLs and fly their own planes. Over here, we don't have that top level support where it really matters.

172driver
30th Jan 2007, 08:13
However, I think the reason why the USA is the "land of aviation freedom" is more due to one factor than any other: several hundred national-level politicians have PPLs and fly their own planes. Over here, we don't have that top level support where it really matters.

...which may well be a good thing - would you trust any of the tossers running the show over here with the controls of an aircraft ? I wouldn't...:=

SD.
31st Jan 2007, 07:15
I think Rainbow offer a JAR Compliant PPL, however its not an approved
CAA PPL school. Below is the list of overseas approved schools for PPL.

JAR FCL 1 PRIVATE PILOT LICENCE (AEROPLANE) Approved by the UK CAA for training for JAR-FCL 1 PPL (A) outside of a JAR Member State
Anglo-American Aviation Limited
Naples Air Centre
Cabair College of Air Training in association with Moncton Flight College , Canada
Ormond Beach Aviation
Cabair in association with Orlando Flight Training
Western Air (Thruxton) Ltd
in association with Sunrise Aviation, Florida
European Flight Training LLC (Florida)