PDA

View Full Version : Instructors Leave MB School

Walrus 7
26th Jan 2007, 12:05
Taxiway talk is that four senior instructors have left a certain Moorabbin flying school in the last few weeks. What's going on there? They were one of the best training schools on the field; I flew with them myself for a couple of years.
If it's all true it's just all so sad.
Walrus

The Bunglerat
26th Jan 2007, 12:14
That's life. Eventually everyone moves on. Aviation has and always will be a nomadic industry, whether it be because of the sniff of a better gig somewhere else, discontent with one's present circumstances or whatever...

Walrus 7
26th Jan 2007, 12:30
Bungle,

Yes, it happens. Young instructors with turbines in their eyes follow the logical path north. We live with it; it's part of this industry. But to lose four senior career instructors within weeks and all went to the same place ... that's not natural attrition, that's a walk out!
Walrus

The Bunglerat
26th Jan 2007, 19:40
... that's not natural attrition, that's a walk out!
Walrus

Indeed.

All it takes is a change of ownership/management to destroy whatever good will may have once existed in said workplace.

I'm generalising at this point (as I don't know the instructors involved), however it ain't the first time something like this has happened in aviation. Having spent nearly ten years in the corporate sector prior to embarking on a full-time aviation career, I was (and continue to be) dumbfounded that so many aviation employers fail to appreciate one of the most simple rules of business: Treat your employees with respect and professional courtesy - and they will give the same back. Treat your staff like crap - and the opposite is also true. In other words, I'd walk over hot coals for my boss if I knew that he respected and appreciated the contribution I make to the organisation. I'd even go so far to say that such issues rate higher than remuneration (assuming the pay is at least sufficient to meet my needs), as the best paying job is still ultimately a lousy job if you have to endure a miserable work environment.

Of course, whilst this apparently used to be confined to GA, it seems all of aviation is poisoned these days - as you only have to read the numerous threads concerning JQ, QF and the like, to be pummelled with the frustration and animosity that so many pilots feel towards their respective employers.

When will aviation operators and airline management finally grasp the simple concept that IF YOU LOOK AFTER YOUR STAFF, THEY WILL LOOK AFTER YOU!

GABLUES
27th Jan 2007, 03:08
Maybe these senior instructors value the hard earned reputations that have been built up over many years, and a little bit of S--- thrown, and bad talk about the new management of this school will be sure to stick.
:ugh:

Di_Vosh
27th Jan 2007, 05:40
Erm,

I'm a little bit removed from MB right now (will be back mid-year). :ok:

Can anyone PM me the flight school, and/or the Instructors?

Cheers

DIVOSH!

novicef
27th Jan 2007, 11:05
Walrus,

You just stirring the pot, or are you going to give us a hint of the flying school concerned?

Walrus 7
28th Jan 2007, 08:04
I'm reluctant to name the school in case the whisper is wrong. Someone on here must know what really happened and be able to confirm or deny. That's what I was hoping for by starting this thread.

Walrus

Soulman
28th Jan 2007, 12:12
Wouldn't be a school with shiny new Cessna's by chance?

Howard Hughes
28th Jan 2007, 21:16
Is it a Good Flying School?;)

PS2A_yay!
29th Jan 2007, 02:02
I heartily agree with bunglerat. If said boss would treat said instructors with the respect they all deserve, maybe said instructors may stay a little longer. But when the industry is moving at such a rapid pace right now, why not take ones expertise away and advance their own career? Achieve their own personal goals and not that of their students?

Having been an instructor myself, it is great to see your students progress and achieve their licences and move on. But one can only do this for so long, before your own career urges you to move on also.

Quite frankly I wish all the guys in question the very best for their futures.

yay!

goodonyamate
29th Jan 2007, 02:02
Is it a Good Flying School?;)

Having done training there..........

Are the instructors good? Yep
Is the CFI good? Yep

Apart from that.....well the owner needs a good smack in the chops.

c172aus
29th Jan 2007, 04:21
Rumour denied and false:)

If you are talking about the school that many of you tip toe around to avoid mentioning its name, I can assure you it had nothing to do with employee discontent or bad conditions. The instructors have been offered a new job (partly because of the school's connections) and are ready to move on to something bigger and better.

DirectAnywhere
29th Jan 2007, 09:07
Where did they go out of interest??

I know one guy was looking at heading up to China or was it several in the end?

Walrus 7
29th Jan 2007, 10:15
I can categorically state that this thread has nothing to do with 'Good Flying School.'

Walrus

JimmyReeves
29th Jan 2007, 13:04
I know SFC in JDK is employing a few guys from MB, starting within the next four weeks.

VH DSJ
29th Jan 2007, 22:11
I can categorically state that this thread has nothing to do with 'Good Flying School.'
Walrus

If you're not going to name the school then this thread is a complete waste of time.

tail wheel
29th Jan 2007, 22:50
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Woomera/Closed-1.gif