PDA

View Full Version : BBC Programe on Flying Yesterday!

stray10level
25th Jan 2007, 19:19
I noticed on another forum the thread on this show last night on BBC 2 at 21:00, namely a study of the carbon emmisions of big jets versus other forms of transport. My question is why the moderators have locked both threads before they had any answers?
Lets see what happens to this one!

Comanche250
25th Jan 2007, 19:25
I dont know why they closed it!? I just thought it was hilarious when that guy who lived adjacent to the runway at Doncaster said he didnt know of any other house that was so close to a runway! Someone should take him to the threshold of 24R at Manchester!

stray10level
25th Jan 2007, 19:42
Did you notice how their figures were very inconsistent? Familly of 4 going to Italy by train emmited 330kg of carbon, which is half of the amount that would have been emitted using air travel. So that would mean 1 person on a plane would emit 165kg. No mention if this was for the entire journey or just one way!! Later in the prgamme they had an example of one person going to Italy from Liverpool and they said he had to pay £2.50 to some carbon off setting charity to account for his 660kg of carbon emmisions????
Why did they not mention that all this tree planting could be offset by the big companies stopping cutting down thousands of acres of rain forest every year? Surely this is as much, if not more a cause of the problem? I dont have the exact figures to hand, but i am sure millions of trees have been felled and surely this has something to do with the imbalance now being experienced?
Also, why pick on an industry that is pretty much an integral part of every day life in terms of business and pleasure. When it ONLY accounts for 2% of all world wide emmision???? At least balance it out with a brief explanation of the breakdown accross the board of industries that pollute!
Last point for now, I heard that sulpher emmisions from a volcano were to blame for a cold spell some years ago! The sulpher apparently causes the suns radiation to be reflected away from the earths surface! Now if we return to burning coal and hence sulpher, would that counter all the CO2?

BRL
25th Jan 2007, 19:48
My question is why the moderators have locked both threads before they had any answers?

Have you asked them why?

Lets see what happens to this one!

Moved to a more appropriate forum..........