PDA

View Full Version : Air Nostrum's 2 emergency landings in the last few days

Grunf
24th Jan 2007, 18:38
Hello all.

It seems this somehow bypassed media in english and most other languages.

Appologies for those who can't understand (Google's Translator can be helpful).

Link 1 (http://www.elpais.com/articulo/espana/avion/Air/Nostrum/toma/tierra/panza/Barcelona/fallo/tren/aterrizaje/elpepuesp/20070124elpepunac_9/Tes)

Link 2 (http://blogs.periodistadigital.com/aviaciondigital.php/2007/01/24/otro_avion_de_air_nostrum_se_ve_obligado)

and here is alittle bit in english that was published:

Back-to-back emergency landings for Air Nostrum

By: thinkSPAIN

In a repeat of a similar incident less than 24 hours earlier, an Air Nostrum plane has been forced to implement emergency landing procedures at Barcelona's El Prat airport owing to landing gear problems.

The second incident occurred shortly after 3pm this afternoon. None of the 40 passengers on board the scheduled flight from Valladolid were injured, and all were able to continue their onward journeys after picking up their luggage following an emergency disembarkation.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Cheers

fortuna76
25th Jan 2007, 11:08
Quite bizar, two sort of similar incidents in one day. There are some differences though:

The first incident was with a Dash-8-315. This plane is actually operated by Denim Air a Dutch wet-lease company. During approach into Barcelona the nose gear would not extend, and alternate gear extension did not help either, therefore an emergency landing was executed. The pictures next to the articles are actually from archive and show the plane with gear fully extended, so definately not actual.

The second incident was with a CRJ 200 owned and operated by air nostrum. Here the information is not clear but it appears that the main gear did not extend (given the fact that the nose gear is extended). Again an emergency landing was executed.

Both planes did an emergency evacuation after coming to a stop and only on the crj did this lead to two people with minor injuries. I believe that the news outside of Spain would not pick up on it because it involved domestic flights and there was no blood on the wall, so they deem it uninteresting....:(

However I would like to extend my compliments to both the crews of the planes involved, especially because some only recently started their jobs, but kept their cool all the same. This is a scenario which I would hate to see on my flight and I believe that they did a great job :ok: Everybody walked away and the rest we can fix!

GhostofCain
25th Jan 2007, 16:53
The second incident was with a CRJ 200 owned and operated by air nostrum. Here the information is not clear but it appears that the main gear did not extend (given the fact that the nose gear is extended). Again an emergency landing was executed.
Apparently that second emergency landing was done without any landing gear at all.

Some pics:
http://www.elpais.com/recorte/20070124elpepunac_18/XLCO/Ies/20070124elpepunac_18.jpg
http://web.lavanguardia.es/lavanguardia/img/20070124/cavio2401072.jpg?rnd=86779

fortuna76
25th Jan 2007, 17:07
hmm.... I can clearly see the nose gear, with the nose gear doors open...:uhoh: Must be my contact lenzen fooling me again

GhostofCain
25th Jan 2007, 17:23
hmm.... I can clearly see the nose gear, with the nose gear doors open...:uhoh: Must be my contact lenzen fooling me again

I don't really know. I used "apparently" due to the usually not so reliable news you get in the newspapers, but I don't have first hand information about the landing.

Mad (Flt) Scientist
25th Jan 2007, 20:14
Unless they build things REALLY close to the runway, I think its safe to say that photo isnt of the aircraft where it came to rest. So it may not be representative of its condition when it landed.

enjolras
25th Jan 2007, 21:47
Unless they build things REALLY close to the runway, I think its safe to say that photo isnt of the aircraft where it came to rest. So it may not be representative of its condition when it landed.

The picture shows the actual plane involved resting on the apron several hours after the incident. They used a huge crane to put it there. News in Spain are saying that it landed with no gears at all. Also it seems that neither ATC nor the PAX were informed about the problem prior to the incident, so it was not technically an emergency landing, because they realized the problem during the landing itself. Weird.

sergil
26th Jan 2007, 08:42
It landed without any landing gear.It took the firemen around 15 minutes to reach the plane,which means they were not told before the landing.It seems they had an hydraulical problem.

Few Cloudy
26th Jan 2007, 09:08
Gear up and nobody informed sounds a bit strange.

An airline I know well had a wheels up landing - afterwards it was said that the gear horn made so much noise, they couldn't see the red lights...

the dean
26th Jan 2007, 09:20
Gear up and nobody informed sounds a bit strange.

An airline I know well had a wheels up landing - afterwards it was said that the gear horn made so much noise, they couldn't see the red lights...

nor the three greens...!!:}

dean.

GhostofCain
26th Jan 2007, 15:16
The second link I posted has a photo of the plane as it landed.

enjolras
26th Jan 2007, 22:39
A source has said today that once the plane was lifted with a crane, they tried to extend gears and everything worked. Nose gear deployed immediately and main gear did after manually opening the damaged doors. They are evaluating the chances of repairing the plane.

Also, Barcelona ATC confirmed that no emergency call was made from the cockpit. That seems to be confirmed by the fact that the following landing plane (a Clickair A320) had to go around when on short finals, as an eye witness has pointed.

Unless on-board recorders point to another direction, the most probable cause is said to be that the crew just forgot to extend gear. Really strange when we are talking about a captain with 5000+ flying hours. We'll wait for the official report.

D-OCHO
27th Jan 2007, 19:50
The second link I posted has a photo of the plane as it landed.
I don't think so. := That is an achived picture.

Grunf
27th Jan 2007, 21:36
D-...,
talking to my Spanish chappies they confirm this is THE Air Nostrum's belly landing a/c.

So the pic is the right one.

Cheers

Mad (Flt) Scientist
27th Jan 2007, 22:31
It may be a pic of the right aircraft, but it's not a pic of the right landing, which is what was implied.

D-OCHO
28th Jan 2007, 14:16
It may be a pic of the right aircraft, but it's not a pic of the right landing, which is what was implied.
Exactly because first of all the aircraft landing in the picture is not landing in BCN and second of all it has his gear down.:ugh:

Grunf
28th Jan 2007, 18:56
http://web.lavanguardia.es/lavanguardia/img/20070124/cavio2401072.jpg

Is this better;)

I don't know about BCN but I see no landing gear out.

As for the fact that this is BCN, here is the ATC tower designed by Ricardo Bofill (if there means something to someone) you can see right of the Air Nostrum's CRJ:

http://www.retratando.com/galeria/data/media/16/Torre_ws_3239.jpg

http://www.airport-technology.com/projects/barcelona/images/8-el-prat-airport.jpg
Cheers

ICT_SLB
29th Jan 2007, 03:00
nor the three greens...!!:}

dean.

There really isn't "Three Greens" on a CRJ - the Gear Indication is in the bottom right of the main EICAS page & appears (after cruise) with the Flap indication as soon as the aircraft is dirtied up prior to landing i.e. with flap deployment. It is three square blocks of color - green with UP within the boxes when fully up & locked then yellow during deployment and finally back to green with DN when down & locked. They would have had the GPWS yell at them "TOO LOW - GEAR" at about 800 feet agl and the Gear Horn thereafter.

D-OCHO
30th Jan 2007, 16:03
They would have had the GPWS yell at them "TOO LOW - GEAR" at about 800 feet agl and the Gear Horn thereafter.
Yeah except when they couldn't hear it because of the EGPWS also jelling "TO LOW FLAPS".
So they where a little bit distracted.
Same thing like that L1011 accident in the Everglades.
But lets wait for the Investigation on this shall we.

ChristiaanJ
30th Jan 2007, 17:03
I would have thought "three greens - UP" could be confusing.... especially when concentrating on something else.