PDA

View Full Version : JAR-OPS & JAR-FCL...Concise explanation plse?

Waldo Pepper
24th Jan 2007, 14:22
Hi there,

I'm writing an essay for a job within my airline, and this essay requires a quick explanation of the above terms, and an understanding of how they work together to regulate commercial air transport operations.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get more info? Web searches seem to generate a plethora of gen, but nothing giving the outline that I want.

If you'd prefer to PM me, that would be appreciated

Thanks

A humble line pilot

RYR-738-JOCKEY
24th Jan 2007, 20:11
Can't help you with any links...but the Joint Aviation Regulations (JAR) is divided into five groups. LICENSING, OPERATIONS, general, maintenance and certification.
JAR-FCL=Flight Crew LICENSING (divided into FCL1 aeroplane, FCL2 helicopter, FCL3 medical) ; requirements, privileges, division of ratings, validity, revalidation req...and so on.
JAR-OPS=OPERATIONS also have sub groups where OPS1 deals with commercial air transport;operational procedures, performance, mass and balance, instruments and equipment and so on.

In my own view, comparing the JARs with the previous aviation laws in my home country, the minimum requirements (in many aspects) is lower than it used to be BUT much more complex...you have to fullfill many more than before. It basically sets out the frame work, and it is now more up to the operators to set out their own standards based on the JARs than it was before.

One example: WX on alternate. You now use the "one-up" rule. It used to be add 1000m vis + 300' ceiling (where I'm from).