PDA

View Full Version : Missed Approach

tom24
24th Jan 2007, 11:07
Say you're on the ILS at 12 miles, 3,500ft.

The ILS has a published MAP procedure that involves a variety of turns at certain DME's climbing back up to 3,000ft.

Now say you are instructed to go-around at 12 miles. What do you do? Continue straight until passing the runway and arriving at the first turning point and then execute the turns as prescribed by the MAP? What about your height? Would you keep going down to 3,000ft?

Il Duce
24th Jan 2007, 11:50
That far out I'd be sorely tempted to ask for clarification/instructions from the controller. E.g. do you want me to orbit right/left, can I maintain my altitude and route via position "x" for another go, can you give me vectors to reposition rather than flying all the way in over the airfield etc etc.

FlightDetent
24th Jan 2007, 14:24
I would say that if you are below minimum sector altitude and below minimum radar vectoring altitude you would need to follow the lateral track all the way to missed approach fix (if there was any). All G/A should put the aircraft above MSA at the end, or put you in a position where you can follow some other routing to your alternate.

fd
(the un-real)

acebaxter
25th Jan 2007, 08:11
From my experience in that case you will be issued something along the lines of "cancel your approach clearance, climb to XXX, fly heading XXX, contact departure on XXX.XXX.

Superpilot
25th Jan 2007, 10:35
Just a wannabe in training but I would've thought there is no such thing as a "Missed Approach" to the MAP before the FAF. The FAF would have you at an altitude lower than the MAP, surely? It's more of a route diversion, no? I mean at 12nm you wouldn't have your landing clearance would you?

john_tullamarine
25th Jan 2007, 10:53
Kathmandu, A310, and missed approaches anyone ? Enough to make me always fly the approach and miss until above the relevant area minimum altitude.

airseb
25th Jan 2007, 11:24
for a missed approach that starts before the Outer Marker or it's published equivalent position (eg: DME distance) or 1000' AAL you're supposed to maintain your present course and altitude and get a clearance from the ATC.

after the OM, etc, the published GA trajectory has to br followed.

that's the theory. if you don't have ATC or if it's the same as not having ATC, or if something's dodgy that's when you exercise your judgement. if you're VMC it's easier.

safe flying and have fun

issi noho
27th Jan 2007, 21:04
Not so long ago in paris CDG, I was instructed to go around whilst established on the llz about 17 nm out still at a FL. When I asked for a clearance was told standard MAP. We followed the lateral profile and descended to the prescibed altitude and they seemed satisfied. Never got as far as the overhead before being vectored for another app. Put in an MOR but never heard anything more so put it to the back of my mind with all the other clutter.

Pilot Pete
28th Jan 2007, 13:27
CVT RWY 23 Missed Approach can lead to a descent if you go around early enough!

PP