PDA

View Full Version : RAAF and ASA

slusher
24th Jan 2007, 04:32
Does anyone actually know what the future holds with project "Genesis"?

I have been told that ASA will be taking over several towers ie Richmond, Nowra, East Sale and Edinburgh?? Pearce Approach has moved into Perth and Darwin Approach is apparently moving to Brisbane at the end of 2007. Is the plan to eventually amalgamate the two ATC providers into one and allow civilian controllers into places such as Williamtown (Newcastle), Townsville and Darwin, where the majority of traffic is civilian anyway.

No Further Requirements
24th Jan 2007, 08:13
Slusher:

Sounds like you know what everyone else knows. Your plan that you stated is fairly accurate. I think there is a plan to more closely align the training of controllers too, using the combined resources of both the AsA College and the RAAF School of ATC. A great move I reckon.

With regards to who's going where and what's going where, I think DN/TN approach will be blue-suiters (for the time being) in Brisbane Centre. I think the RAAF would put up a huge fight for Darwin, Pearce, Townsville and Williamtown towers to keep them RAAF-run (but perhaps with a few defece civilians to make up the numbers).

Most of the approach cells can be run remotely, however AsA just gave up on their ambition to drag Adelaide, Perth and Cairns approach into the major centres. Taking over the RAAF approach units and moving them to a central location is the opposite of that, so who knows what will go on.

All in all, I think it will be a good thing. The RAAF will retain a core of deployable controllers, the training systems will be identical and therefore personnel transferable, and the combining of both training establishments will (hopefully) take the best of both and turn out first-class products.

Hope this is of some value.

Cheers,

NFR.
Ex-RAAF, now AsA.