PDA

View Full Version : Oldest FIs

ariel
23rd Jan 2007, 09:41
:) What is the average OLDEST age of persons on this board who have undertaken a commercial licence, then an FI course.

Why did you do it later in life. And was it worth it...?

aztec25
23rd Jan 2007, 10:18
How old?
53 - (been flying for fun for 12 years).

Why?
Left the rat race behind (and some rats!) and decided I wouldn't get another chance to live the dream.
Did CPL and FI in 2006.

Was it worth it?
Absolutely!!

the dean
23rd Jan 2007, 10:27
did the atpls at about 45...and class 1 instructors rating around that time....and the examiners course ( i am in JAA land ) at about 54...( multi and IR and all that were earlier )...

was it worth it ..?..hell yes....

started in austers.chipmunk etc where they had to put cushions under me so i could see out.....

reckon they will have to do that again before i quit flying....:}

its still fun to strap an aeroplane on and take to the air...:ok:

the dean.

Whirlybird
23rd Jan 2007, 12:09
ariel,

You want me to admit to my age!!! On PPRuNe!!!!!!

Oh, alright then. I suppose it might help some of these 30 and 40 somethings who agonise that they're too old...

PPL(A) at age 50
PPL(H) at nearly 52
CPL(H) at age 53
FI(H) at age 54 (and a half)

First instructing job (part time) at nearly 55. First fulltime instructing job, when other work started going down the tubes, last year at age 57. Now 58....but I don't look it!!!!!! Errr...or act it, probably.

Why did I do it? Partly for the challenge, partly because no-one believed I could ("Oh don't be silly, Whirly, of course you can't become a helicopter pilot"), but mainly because I loved flying helicopters and couldn't afford to long term - the inheritance which paid for the training wasn't a regenerating money tree.

Was it worth it? An unqualified YES!!!! Instructing is hard work, insecure, and by no means as perfect as I thought it would be....but I still love it.

But ariel, my friend, you know all this! And you're younger than I am. And yes, you can do it too - if that's why you're asking. :ok:

spittingimage
23rd Jan 2007, 16:35
Hmm. Thought I could win this one but it seems not, for my logbook does not lie. Much. So, for the record :

PPL(A) at 30

CPL at 51

FI at 52

ATPL at 56 (is this a record ?)

Worth it ? Yes.

Why do it ? Just got fed up with commuting and dreaming the grey days away. I have never seen flying as working.

orionsbelt
23rd Jan 2007, 23:29
Suppose its time to come clean!
PPL(A) Aug 1967 at 21 years (Austers at Ipswich )
CPL(A) Aug 2001 at 55 years (Last CPL UK National Exams thanks to PPSC )
FI (A) Oct 2001 as above then added Night and Aeros instruction Dec 01 / Feb 02
Commenced Instruction April 2002,
Then had the 'No Applied Instrument' Removed in March 05 at 59 years!
Why did you do it later in life? In RAF till 30. Then had an Excellent Job in the City until Early retirement in Aug 2000, so my pension subsidises my flying activities.
And was it worth it...? Financially very much 'NO' Pay hardly cover costs of maintaining Licences and travel cost to airfield. However fly 250/280 hours a year with great people and its very satisfying observing peoples confidence and skills developing.
Orions***

VFE
24th Jan 2007, 10:40
I have worked alongside a guy who did his CPL and FI in his late fifties.

VFE.