PDA

View Full Version : can I use a gps on checkride

donadie
22nd Jan 2007, 17:25
Hi there I will do my private pilot checkride soon can I use a gps device?
thanks to all :)

metar
26th Jan 2007, 10:11
It's probably going to depend as to who is on board with you. Personally, as you have your licence I would you to want to prove that you can use everything on board to aid your flight (including GPS) especially if the S*?t hits the metaphorical fan.

Having said that - if you were obviously obsessed with the thing I would make a point of asking you to do a position fix (VDF / VOR / DME) and maybe even track a VOR radial for a bit to prove that you can live without it. Most importantly your head should be out the window looking for ground features. It is a VISUAL flight test afterall.

Hope that vaguely helps.

Monopole
27th Jan 2007, 02:09
donadie,

I would let you set up and use the GPS but it would fail not that far into the flight. The only reason why I would let you use it in the first place, is to ensure you know what you are doing with it because as sure as sh!t, you are going to rely solely on it once you attain your PPL :ugh:

Whopity
28th Jan 2007, 08:11
This rather depends upon what Country you are in and under what licensing regime.

By a PPL checkride, do you mean a licensing Skill Test for initial issue or do you mean that you have a PPL and have to do a "checkride" for some other purpose i.e. revalidation?

Under the JAA system you can be required to demonstrate use of any equipment fitted to the aeroplane used for the test. You should know what it does and how to obtain basic information from it. You would not be allowed to use it on an initial VFR Navigation leg. Remember the examiner has the right to simulate the failure of any equipment so you must not rely on it.

cyclic_fondler
30th Jan 2007, 09:23
Donadie

If the GPS is part of the navigational suite of instruments fitted to the aircraft then turn it on.

Even if you're not allowed to use the GPS for the navigational part of the flight, I would turn it on and let it initialise. Once you are happy with it, turn the brightness down so that you can't see it.

This will probably confuse the examiner but explain to him/her that the reason you've done this is because you are aware that you can't use it on the navigation leg but in the event of a real emergency, you want to exploit every navigational aid you have and that it's quicker to turn up the brightness on the GPS rather than wait the 20-30 seconds it takes to start up !!

Hopefully that should give you some brownie points with the examiner.

Best of luck for your check ride.

the dean
30th Jan 2007, 09:51
donadie,...

as you have'nt answered whopity yet hard to advise...but if its JAA skills test LST...you are told at the briefing that the first leg of the navex is a dead reckoning leg and you are not allowed to use it nor DME but that you may do so on the simulated diversion.

if its licence proficiency check (LPC)..thus your rating (SEL) has not expired then it depends on what you are being asked to do...but i will assume you are talking about a LST for grant of a PPL.

any other type of checkride is probably not a matter involving the licencing authority so its up to the instructor...

if its LST well good luck...:ok:

the dean.