PDA

View Full Version : Polar Flying

gengis
19th Jan 2007, 03:44
Anyone routinely doing Polar Operations? Anything to take note of, for guys starting polar flying for the first time? Have got the standard company procedures on this, but I'm looking for on-line experiences that could catch you out....

Fly3
19th Jan 2007, 13:27
I have regularly flown the polar routes over the last three years and there are no hassles or gotcha's. If you are coming out of the USA make sure that you get an ACTUAL fuel freeze temperature since they still use JetA rather than JetA1 and that will freeze at higher temps (-40c compared to -47c). You will also have to have space weather briefings for each flight to ensure that radiation levels and communications are going to be OK. Got to use TRUE for nav as the variations are crazy. Comms are generally good with Acrtic and Murmansk Radio on HF and the standard of ATC is excellent. I did however have one crossing with no contact for almost five hours.

7avion7
19th Jan 2007, 15:37
If you go on smartcockpit.com and then klick on swssknife you will find publication on polar routes also you can go on jetfiles.com

Good luck

gengis
20th Jan 2007, 07:50
Thanks y'all

dontpickit
20th Jan 2007, 13:12
gengis

Some useful files here too,

http://www.wingfiles.com/

Should this thread be in Tech Log?

gengis
20th Jan 2007, 14:51
Has anyone out there done grid navigation within the polar region? What gives?