PDA

View Full Version : Single-Aisle Cruise flight levels and speeds

NoiseUnit
18th Jan 2007, 09:51
Are optimum cruise altitudes routinely available for short haul ops in crowded airspace (i.e. Europe) where the stage length is sufficient? Or are cruise altitudes frequently limited to non-optimum flight levels due to other traffic?

Similarly, are A320s or 737NGs cruise speeds impacted by slower aircraft such RJs, older 737s and single aisle MD aircraft?

Does anyone know if this data exists in the public arena?

topper28
18th Jan 2007, 11:27
Are optimum cruise altitudes routinely available for short haul ops in crowded airspace (i.e. Europe) where the stage length is sufficient? Or are cruise altitudes frequently limited to non-optimum flight levels due to other traffic?

Similarly, are A320s or 737NGs cruise speeds impacted by slower aircraft such RJs, older 737s and single aisle MD aircraft?

Does anyone know if this data exists in the public arena?

Maybe Brussels Eurocontrol has this data...have no idea

From my experience in Europe ATC most of the time gives the flight level requested (I would say 85%); cruise speeds are usually not impacted but I would define slow aircraft the A320s since max is .82 (average cruise .79)!

FlightDetent
18th Jan 2007, 11:29
As far as I experience (4 years EUR short-haul):

No speed restrictions/limitations ENR (or truly scarcely so).

It is possible to get just about any level you wish. Last flight out of BRU, EET 1hr 05 min, FL390 possible after some time. Yet, due to airspace structure, we are asked to descend about 80NM ahead of optimum TOD. Staying at FL300 makes negligable fuel difference.

FD
(the un-real)