PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft off runway in Southampton? Any details

skyfarmer
18th Jan 2007, 07:38
Title says it all really Early morning 18 Jan

Le Tirer
18th Jan 2007, 08:35
Unless there's another one, it happened at about 21:35 Wednesday night. Understand it was the Air France flight - possibly burst tyre on landing?
Airfield operations were suspended and Notamed as closed 22:20 until 06:00.
Couple of Flybes diverted to Bournemouth.

Le Tirer
18th Jan 2007, 09:44
From today's Southampton Daily Echo
EMERGENCY services were scrambled to Southampton Airport last night when an incoming plane overshot the runway and ended up on the grass verge with 44 passengers and crew on board.
The Air France flight AF5869 from Paris Charles De Gaulle, was due to land at Southampton Airport at 9.40pm.
Hampshire Fire and Rescue, paramedics and the police were called at 9.35pm to reports of smoke coming from the wheels of the plane, believed to be operated by Brit Air, but were requested to stand down on arrival.
This morning a number of flights had to be cancelled.
Last night, one passenger on the flight told of the drama.
Steve Miller, 63, from Havant, said:"It was all really calm. Nobody realised how serious it was until we saw how lucky we were."
The photo accompanying the article shows the aircraft with Air France and Britair titles so why the "believed to be operated by Brit Air"?! Britair have been operating these flights for as long as I can remember, surely somebody could have confirmed this to the reporter?

bomarc
18th Jan 2007, 11:14
help a yank out.

what is a "flybee" or flybe?

and was this overrun plane a CRJ? without leading edge devices?

Alloy
18th Jan 2007, 11:25
Flybe is a UK based airline.
www.flybe.com

Andy_S
18th Jan 2007, 11:27
'Flybe' is a UK based domestic / short haul european airline.

sedburgh
18th Jan 2007, 13:06
The photograph on the Echo website at http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/display.var.1130667.0.plane_overshoots_runway.php
is of a CRJ

--
Philip Morten

Fried_Chicken
18th Jan 2007, 21:59
The 'Air France' flights into Southampton are usually operated by an Airlinair ATR72 using a Britair callsign.

Fried Chicken

gazbert
18th Jan 2007, 22:41
It was a CRJ, the reg was F-GRJO.

ICT_SLB
19th Jan 2007, 02:38
One of the comments to the newspaper report (apparently from an airport worker) gave the cause as "hydraulic brake failure". Another factor may have been that some of the Air France Express RJs operated by Britair do not have the HGS installed (unlike Britair's own aircraft). The HGS makes the landing a very precise operation with very little dispersal of touchdown point but without it....

Another comment was it happened because the Canadair "was not fitted with wing brakes" - guess someone removed the Ground & Flight Spoilers.

Wycombe
19th Jan 2007, 07:37
My previous post seems to have been deleted (perhaps it was deemed a bit "spotterish"), but to say again, from what I see most of the SOU-CDG flights are operated by Britair CRJ200's (with the odd ATR or 146).
I once observed a CRJ landing on 20 float on well down the runway, land just before the mid-point and then use a lot of reverse (I never heard a CRJ make so much noise!) and pretty much of all the rest of the paved surface to stop - if I'd been in the Tower my hand would have been hovering over the red button.

VuctoredThrest
19th Jan 2007, 08:54
'scuse my ignorance but what does HGS stand for?

Newforest
19th Jan 2007, 09:26

Head-ups Guidance System.
http://www.rockwellcollins.com/products/cs/br/HGS/economics/index.html

old,not bold
19th Jan 2007, 16:32
Its not the first, as the pipes 'n slippers team, to which I belong, will tell you.....

I think it was a Citation (early model) that over-ran westbound, sometime in the mid-1990's and ended up on the M27. Abandoned take-off, or late/long landing? I'm not sure.

Who was flying it? Now, that was another story.

No-one seriously hurt, though, as far as I can remember.

liquid sunshine
19th Jan 2007, 21:42
I am led to believe that this aircraft did NOT overshoot the runway despite some mischievious reports in the media to the contrary. The aircraft came off just to the side of the runway approx half way down ...nearly 1000m from any public areas.:=

ICT_SLB
20th Jan 2007, 03:40

As stated, HGS stands for Head-Up Guidance System - it's a HUD-based landing system that allows the pilot to fly a manual approach to Category IIIa limits (50 feet decision height). The guidance law (which is also used for the CAT II & I limits as well) is such that it will always bring you to the same touchdown point on the runway (or within 50 metres of the ideal point). It does this by varying the rate of flare guidance just prior to touchdown. This feature can be followed whether you're in AIII mode or not. It helps stop you "floating down the runway" as described.

If the aircraft was just off to one side, it sounds like either Inboard or Outboard Brakes on the Left or Right main gear failed which could apply differential braking and thus push the aircraft off centre line.

GBALU53
21st Jan 2007, 07:57
I think wx might have played a part in this strong cross winds and wet runways not a good combination??