PDA

View Full Version : WPTs Names

Johnman
18th Jan 2007, 01:24
There are many WPTs around the world with the same name(including waypoints in the NAT airspace that has the same name of points elsewhere), I think Safety factor will increase if there is some kind of communicatins to avoid this matter. Jeppesen and Honeywell plus others in the industry have all the data .
There are waypoints in the NAT airspace that can be confusing if there coordinates are mentioned instead of their names on the flight plans due to a format by certain providers .Any comments or feedback on this subject?.

Voel
21st Jan 2007, 09:59
Hi Johman

Its my understanding that these WPT's (or significant points) are allocated by ICAO. For that reason these WPT's should not have the same designation somwhere else. A list of these designators are provided to each state to select their own from it. Some are real tongue twsiters (Xorax)

Johnman
28th Jan 2007, 01:31
With the data bases that are available , you'll see many dublicates , and you need to choose the correct one for your flight . This is in all modern aircrafts these days, so you check the coordinates and insert the correct wpt that you need to fly to.

Lon More
28th Jan 2007, 02:43
ICAO lays down some guidlines. In the Netherlands it was often family names, (HELEN) In the UK occasionally Supervisors names, (GRICE). The Australians do it differently (http://www.airservices.gov.au/publications/namegate.asp)

av8boy
28th Jan 2007, 05:14
That's becuase there's only a limited number of ways to spell "BEEER." Need input from the public pretty quickly they do.:O

bookworm
28th Jan 2007, 09:04
There are many WPTs around the world with the same name(including waypoints in the NAT airspace that has the same name of points elsewhere), I think Safety factor will increase if there is some kind of communicatins to avoid this matter. Jeppesen and Honeywell plus others in the industry have all the data .
There are waypoints in the NAT airspace that can be confusing if there coordinates are mentioned instead of their names on the flight plans due to a format by certain providers .Any comments or feedback on this subject?.
Have a look at ICARD (http://www.eurocontrol.int/icard/public/subsite_homepage/homepage.html).