PDA

View Full Version : handling of C182 (STOL), PA18, PA19, PZL gawron

lusthansa
17th Jan 2007, 07:34
Hello guys,

I am about to apply for an agro - flying job on either C182 (w/ STOL kit), PA18, PA19, Piper J 5A, Piper J 3 C (?) and / or PZL 101 A "Gawron".

I have (Tailwheel I mean) only flown Aviat Husky A - 1 and Grob 109 B Turbo Powered Touring mOtorglider in advance but no further taildragger experience.

Can you please give me good advices on any specialities you need to know about the Cubs and the polish Gawron (250 radial engine) if you have no poh avlb. and wanna make a good job in the screening (special landing technique, special cockpit layout,"tricks" with the aircraft airborne and on the ground, etc.)

any feedback is welcome - I also look for information from pilots who recently did low flying for ag. purposes! (What do you especially have to take care of when flying in 5 ft gnd etc.)

Yours.

Lusthansa

yoohoo748
30th Jan 2007, 11:30
I'm not trying to be the expert in this area, but from what I know the company that you will be interviewing with will care a small amount about any little 'tricks or secrets' about flying any particular aircraft. They will be looking at whether or not you can work and adapt to new situations. My first job I was hired because I put CONSTRUCTION experience on my CV. Not sure why I mentioned it on my CV, but it got me the job. I didn't find this until I had been with the company for a long while and was having beer with the BOSS... he said is showed him that I could work, and that is what he wanted, guys that knew how to work. He knew that I was fresh out of school and didn't really know how to fly yet, but would learn.
Sorry if I am replying and you are well experienced (not just out of school), but that is what I gathered for you question.
By the way... for low flying tips... although my previous jobs never required me to fly low, I did just for kicks and giggles. sometimes due to weather as well. (following rivers below the tree line!!!) be sure to have a good survey of the lay of the land before going LOW. (ie 0-100 ft) Power lines, dead trees etc are a real nuisance. I have no AG experience, but a buddy of mine has shared some experiences with me... be sure you don't spin it into the earth as he did... he did manage to walk away from that one. Watch your speed. There were times that he would be flying on the edge of stall until he burnt some fuel off.... easy on the controls. As an AG pilot (depending on company of course) you will be a test pilot of sorts, until you get the experience to tell you what is good, and what is not.
Anyhow, I'll leave you with that and sign off as my crew just returned from shopping in wonderful Dhaka.
Good luck, and have fun. Flying is all about fun. If it were not, then we would all probably be in some other business.
Ciao for a Canuck in the ME, having dinner in Bangladesh.