PDA

View Full Version : Tre - Fi

bloggs99
16th Jan 2007, 10:23
I am a TRE on A320 and have been instructing on jets for about 10 years. As well as a large number of jet hours (10k+) I also have around 1000 hours on light aircraft (civilian) and I just about keep my PPL up.

I love instructing and would love to do some (very) part-time instructing/examining on light aircraft. I am not, however, nor never have been an SEP FI.

Would I have to do the full FI course or would there be some concession with my instructing experience? Even then if I do the FI course could I easily upgrade to QFI/examiner?

I don't regard myself as better than anyone else or more deserving necessarily, I just want to know how I can go about this or if it is likely to be more trouble than it will be worth.

tescoapp
16th Jan 2007, 10:41
I think you will get some credit for your core course for the TRI.

If you are a FI you get credit for that the other way round.

The lads at ontrack aviation seem to have the finger on the pulse for specials either that or a phone number that takes them to someone that knows what they are talking about.

Whopity
16th Jan 2007, 11:38
You need 5 hours SEP in the 6 months preceding starting a FI Course and must pass a pre-entry flight test in that 6 months. You will need to complete the Full FI(R) Course as detailed in JAR-FCL Section H. There is no cross-over credit for the TRI rating.

BillieBob
16th Jan 2007, 15:59
What about JAR-FCL 1.310(c)?

Credit towards further authorisations or ratings. Applicants for further instructor authorisations or ratings may be credited with the teaching and learning skills already demonstrated for the instructor authorisation or rating held.

Curtis E Carr
16th Jan 2007, 18:51
Credit towards further authorisations or ratings. Applicants for further instructor authorisations or ratings may be credited with the teaching and learning skills already demonstrated for the instructor authorisation or rating held.

Teaching and Learning for the issue of the FI rating takes 125 hours. That for the TRI rating takes 25 hours. I would guess therefore that in this case, the full T&L syllabus would have to be covered.

What I suspect JAR-FCL 1.310c means is that if one has an FI rating, T&L is already deemed to have ben covered if one was seeking something like a CRI, TRI or IRI rating. I stand to be corrected, though.

BillieBob
16th Jan 2007, 19:19
You suspect wrongly - Actually, the Teaching and Learning Element of the FI course comprises 40 hours of instruction (check AMC FCL 1.340) and the content is virtually identical with the TRI core course. Which is probably why LASORS H1.2 says "Holders of other valid instructor ratings issued in accordance with JAR-FCL will be credited the teaching and learning element of the theoretical knowledge training."

Curtis E Carr
16th Jan 2007, 20:59
What about the 78 hours of practice in class and 7 hours of progress tests? Is that not part of the course (LASORS H1.2 and AMC FCL 1.340)?

Nevertheless, I see what you mean about the credits for T & L.

Whopity
18th Jan 2007, 07:46

Interestingly this has been in JAR-FCL 1 since its inception. It has been further clarified in appendices added in later amendments. App 1 to JAR-FCL 1.340 lists credits towards the Teaching and Learning element of the FI(R)(A) Course but, only refers to credit for the holder of a FI(H) qualification. It makes no mention of the TRI CRI or IRI courses.

Wheras Appendices 1 to 1.365; 1 to 1.380; 2 to 1.380 and 1 to 1.395 all specify all the courses that qualify.

As the Teaching and Learing part of the FI Course is not treated as a stand alone core course but is heavily interleaved with the preflight briefings it is more difficult to credit a specific part of a course that really has only one part. It might be worth asking the question and quoting 1.310. towards an overall hours credit.

BillieBob
18th Jan 2007, 17:57
Why ask the question when it has already been answered? As quoted above, LASORS, referring specifically to the FI(R), clearly states that credit will be given for any valid JAR-FCL instructor rating. Of course, LASORS might be in error (again) - Surely not!